HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Didn't think those existed. I thought it was "once a  Marine always a Marine"  😇  Semper Fi ! 

Actually there's two types... active duty and those of us who served our time.  So we're all Marines as your quote says but the active ones are Marines since they;re in uniform, the ones who are not active duty, are "former Marines".  There's no such critter as an "ex-Marine".

17 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Yep  - I have  put a swear box on the side of my table    - bet we would all fill one  with our builds  or discover words we never knew exsisted.

Good to see you back on here mate.

OC.

I tried the swear box, OC.  Didn't work as ended up putting IOU's in it after a few days.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I hope everyone is having a great Christmas.   Quiet here with a layer of ice and snow.

After fighting with PE.... and winning, I'm at this point.   Horseshoes, fishplates, and rudder gudgeons all mounted.   

1-55.JPG.be796585c6cc7f597b715c867e4a5d59.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking really nice Mark, that colour combination  looks realy smart.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for the likes and comments.   

2 hours ago, gjdale said:

Well done on your victory over the PE Mark, she’s looking great!

I'm not sure it was real victory, Grant. More like I out-stubborned it.

42 minutes ago, TBlack said:

I think it looks terrific! Nicely painted, crisp, good contrast. Bravo Zulu! As I recall, your surgery was scheduled for the 16th, All done?

And already back in the shop!

Tom

Thanks Tom.  Surgery is done and seems to be working well.  The meds are kicking my butt but hopefully, I can get them changed a bit.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Great news, Mark. All the best on your road to recovery and good health!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you all.  

I'm pondering the rest of the build.  Not stopping it but "modifying" it.    I'm going to not do the masts and rigging as display space is an issue so how far do I go?   An example would be the channels.  I'll add them but not the deadeyes though that is subject to change.  So I'll make decisions as I go..

My long term goal is after Sphinx, to finish Belle Poule (no masts or rigging) and then make some choices.   Maybe Vanguard's razee or more likely CAF's Bellona.  The idea of a big 74 is very appealing at this point.   

A lot of pondering going on while waiting for glue to dry.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

2 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Thank you all.  

I'm pondering the rest of the build.  Not stopping it but "modifying" it.    I'm going to not do the masts and rigging as display space is an issue so how far do I go?   An example would be the channels.  I'll add them but not the deadeyes though that is subject to change.  So I'll make decisions as I go..

My long term goal is after Sphinx, to finish Belle Poule (no masts or rigging) and then make some choices.   Maybe Vanguard's razee or more likely CAF's Bellona.  The idea of a big 74 is very appealing at this point.   

A lot of pondering going on while waiting for glue to dry.   

Mark, I'd encourage you to add the channels (whether or not you decide to add deadeyes). To me, a stripped-down Admiralty-style presentation would look naked without both of these critical components. My Confederacy with stub masts looks great w/o!

Happy Holidays and My Best Wishes to you for a good, solid recovery as we all roll into the New Year,

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Thanks Ron.   The channels have been sitting on my work bench for a day or so and have been painted.  And yes, stub masts and bowspit.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I'll add them but not the deadeyes though that is subject to change

Adding just the bottom row of deadeyes wouldn't take a great deal of effort and would add some detail to the hull/channels. 

Mark, lovely work, sorry I came late to your build.  I'm gonna get the nickname 'late again Charlie' if I keep this up. I don't exactly know how I keep missing build logs, I'm on MSW several hours a day. :huh:

Mark  how about  adding the first posts  and going up to the first  tops level  either  shrouded/channels   or  un shrouded  but with the channels and deadeyes  fitted.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Something to put in "your pipe"

When creating the case and having stub mast, let the mast touch the upper part of the case.

Have seen this type of displaying and it looks real good.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

2 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Adding just the bottom row of deadeyes wouldn't take a great deal of effort and would add some detail to the hull/channels. 

Mark, lovely work, sorry I came late to your build.  I'm gonna get the nickname 'late again Charlie' if I keep this up. I don't exactly know how I keep missing build logs, I'm on MSW several hours a day. :huh:

Don't sweat it, Keith.  I missed a lot also.  I'm still looking at that it's pretty fiddly PE.

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

Something to put in "your pipe"

When creating the case and having stub mast, let the mast touch the upper part of the case.

Have seen this type of displaying and it looks real good.

Not a bad idea, Per.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the inputs and feedback.   I'm still sorting things out as I go.   Hopefully the PE tools I ordered will be here tomorrow unless the pass gets closed again,

In many ways, this is a challenge to me as I've done next to no PE.   At some point, I'll either have it sorted or perhaps print out the PE plans, paint, fix, and glue that down instead of the PE.  Much like one of the other builders is doing (I forget which one... my apologies).

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just a short update and  how I solved a minor but irritating issue.  

The instructions have us install the channels and then knees.  The issue I had was getting the channels installed at the proper angle and all of them having the same angle from the hull as the instructions have you install the channels first.   I finally removed them, cleaned up the mess and decided to do it backwards.   Installed the knees first and aligned them with to the proper placement.  Then installed the channels and am very happy with the result.    Onwards!!!!!!!!!!

1-56.JPG.284771e74a848326850fe9306deb18cf.JPG1-57.JPG.7b3c261a7d62fea43e5ab89cc5cdf802.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, an update.   Been a bit of a stretch for me on the bow.  Lots of tiny parts that if one is not careful, they break or go flying off into the "ether" never to be seen again. Luckily, Chris provided extras.   My only comment is that I should have left either painting or the mounting of the deck bits until last.  With all the black things got a bit hard to see after a while.  I think I need to upgrade my lighting at the build bench.   Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.  Here's the photos of where I am and then off to work on the stern.

On second thought.... I need to do quite a bit of touch up on the paint and/or a lot of dusting.  Macro photography is not our friend either.   And the flash wiped out the color in some areas.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.  :D

1-57.JPG.acbec3ffeac6cde73da8487009d6aa8f.JPG1-58.JPG.a975b625d0c758c8e035ea36ebb921c5.JPG1-59.JPG.98b070e3928b287d951b93ac717a9e97.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A good wipedown cleaned up much of it.  The a bit of flat varnish took care of the shine.  I'll do touch ups in the next day or so.  I'll not get much done

Question.. what's the best way to fit the glass part of the windows?  The instructions say to "trim" but how?  Will a file work?   I realize once I get them to fit, I'll need to remove fingerprints and alcohol seems to work well.   

Not much will be done sometime tomorrow as there's places to go and people to see...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

9 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

A good wipedown cleaned up much of it.  The a bit of flat varnish took care of the shine.  I'll do touch ups in the next day or so.

Question.. what's the best way to fit the glass part of the windows?  The instructions say to "trim" but how?  Will a file work?   I realize once I get them to fit, I'll need to remove fingerprints and alcohol seems to work well.   

Mark  are they  Glass or  clear plastic?    if real glass  thats a tricky one  if the later  then can you not make a paper template  the excat size  the trim using a sharp knife?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nicely done Mark - I'm with you on the macro photography.  At this point I'm considering putting a little Vaseline on the lens like they did with the old 50's Lauren Bacall movies...  😆

OC, they're acetate.   Hmm..... I realize that I'm an idiot.  I just noticed, the instructions say "file them abit"....   I guess I'll just test my files and see which ones work the best.   

Thanks though.  You made me go re-read and find what I missed.  dooh.gif.87c1d0617af39dc7da912c46ec0a37de.giffoncemur.gif.a06e7d7a4612d04574ff79eb60945ad5.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

5 minutes ago, Moonbug said:

Nicely done Mark - I'm with you on the macro photography.  At this point I'm considering putting a little Vaseline on the lens like they did with the old 50's Lauren Bacall movies...  😆

I'm going to consider that idea. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

4 minutes ago, Moonbug said:

I'm the same with my "Little land"  build  when I zoom in to  show all the close details then I notice the faults  with my work,  mine looks ok though when I take my glasses off  (am blind as a bat without them)😆

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

OC, they're acetate.   Hmm..... I realize that I'm an idiot.  I just noticed, the instructions say "file them abit"....   I guess I'll just test my files and see which ones work the best.   

Thanks though.  You made me go re-read and find what I missed.  dooh.gif.87c1d0617af39dc7da912c46ec0a37de.giffoncemur.gif.a06e7d7a4612d04574ff79eb60945ad5.gif

No problem Mark.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I found this of help when I was  working on the headworks of Pegasus, It has been many years since I tackled  one of these  and the thought of it gives me the yips.

047.thumb.JPG.a96014c1708f3e0f752c3a35ba692ac4.JPG

I recall getting that smooth transition  between the Upper cheek and hair bracket, and the Eking Rail and the Lower rail a very testy exercise.

Wishing you a trouble free passage in completion of one of the most critical areas of a build. 🤞

Regards,

B.E.