HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

I’ve done both, both work so it’s really your choice

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I was going to add my Five Pence worth  -   with my  Greyhound build  -  I just kept on adding  brushed on layers  onto the lower hull  - till I was happy with the finish, if a  smooth  (grain less)  finish  is what you are after  - I found it took several coats  to  achieve  this  (that was with a  hairy stick mind)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Mark,

The dimension I am curious about is the moulded dimension at the top of the top timber.  Sketch below.

THANK YOU 

Allan

2133565275_toptimber.JPG.24f06b757cf3926aea8d5d63b01235a2.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

6 hours ago, allanyed said:

Mark,

The dimension I am curious about is the moulded dimension at the top of the top timber.  Sketch below.

THANK YOU 

Allan

2133565275_toptimber.JPG.24f06b757cf3926aea8d5d63b01235a2.JPG

Allan I guess that would be determined by what the actual thickness was of the actial part of the real ship, then just converted down into scale,  hope that helps.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, allanyed said:

Mark,

THANK YOU 

Allan

Looks to be about 4mm, Allan.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well.... I made a dog's breakfast of painting.  Call it lack of experience as I haven't spray painted in decades.  Need to sand and fill some spots.  What looked ok yesterday showed that the low humidity here is creating a few problems.  I'll sand, re-paint, and see what happens.  I'm not upset, just focused on learning more and mistakes are part of learning or re-learning.

1-52a.JPG.acc11d0dff0e087fed4fd8c57dc0efeb.JPG1-52b.JPG.48fdb055ae44ffe273a48ecd6df3aca6.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yep, I had the building maintenance guy run his humidity meter for a bit. Foggy outside, inside it's dry as a bone.  Picked up a humidifier and have it running.  I'll re-fill the cracks, sand and go for the paint again in the morning.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark!!  Is the 4mm with the planking or just the top timber itself?

OC, Sorry for the confusion, my fault.  I was only looking at what the kit dimension was as it appears heavy in the photo, but I know what it should be based on the scantlings for the size of the ship and era.   I was curious to see if Vanguard got it right as this is often wrong on some kits.  The top of the top timber for the 1745 Establishment and again in the Ship Builders Repository (1788) and Steel's Elements of Naval Architecture (1805) show  it should be about 4 inches,  which would be about 1.58 mm at 1:64.  If the total with inboard planking, top timber, and outboard planking are measured, they would total about 3.5 mm at 1:64. 

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan, that's the top timber only.

Thanks James.  That's basically what I'm doing.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Humidity seems stabilized and I've filling, sanding, checking, rinse and repeat seemingly forever.  But, the white is done. and coated with two coats of flat clear.   Needs a bit of touch up in a few places but that will wait until I'm done with the black just in case some gets pulled up with the tape removal.  I did notice some areas where the tape didn't fully seal and one where the tape dipped a bit low... I'll fix when I do touch ups. 1-52c.JPG.0c5f2975cbf73e321625afdccbc0d283.JPG1-52d.JPG.52cb9591365028555fce73d0187378bb.JPG So, I'm taking the rest of the day off to let everything sit and then attack the black wales and down to the waterline.   I'll probably do the blue on the gallery windows but I may hold off on that.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Humidity seems stabilized and I've filling, sanding, checking, rinse and repeat seemingly forever.  But, the white is done. and coated with two coats of flat clear.   Needs a bit of touch up in a few places but that will wait until I'm done with the black just in case some gets pulled up with the tape removal.  I did notice some areas where the tape didn't fully seal and one where the tape dipped a bit low... I'll fix when I do touch ups. 1-52c.JPG.0c5f2975cbf73e321625afdccbc0d283.JPG1-52d.JPG.52cb9591365028555fce73d0187378bb.JPG So, I'm taking the rest of the day off to let everything sit and then attack the black wales and down to the waterline.   I'll probably do the blue on the gallery windows but I may hold off on that.

When masking I always add a coat of varnish over the tape before applying the colour, it helps prevent bleeding.

Hi Mark,

its me again!

Sorry,I am still concerned that your quarter galleries are still too high at the stern.

Can I suggest that you check that when you can still  fit the stern rails (step 237), the quarter gallery fretwork (step312) and the tile roof (step 319) as designed - I think you might have a problem, and if so, better sorted now that later.

However if you are happy with what you are doing, then please continue, after all it your build.

Just trying to be helpful.

Alan

Well, the voyage continues today.  I've taped and varnished the edge of the tape to prevent bleed through.  Once it dries and I"m satisfied with the fit and finish, I'll start laying down the black.  I'm brushing not spraying as I feel I have more control and the area isn't as massive as the white.

I'm also looking ahead in the instructions and the other logs and see there's an issue with friezes and some bits that are over them.   Thinking this through as it might be best to add the friezes and then the overlaid wood can be "fitted" (time to dig out the files).

9 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

When masking I always add a coat of varnish over the tape before applying the colour, it helps prevent bleeding.

Yep.  That's SOP on painting.  I've had to re-learn some things as it's been a long time since I painted a ship.

5 hours ago, AlanDavison said:

Hi Mark,

its me again!

Sorry,I am still concerned that your quarter galleries are still too high at the stern.

Can I suggest that you check that when you can still  fit the stern rails (step 237), the quarter gallery fretwork (step312) and the tile roof (step 319) as designed - I think you might have a problem, and if so, better sorted now that later.

However if you are happy with what you are doing, then please continue, after all it your build.

Just trying to be helpful.

Alan

I understand, Alan and thanks for the concerns.  I taken your concerns seriously.  Pretty much everything is somewhat fool proof with slots and tabs.   I rechecked measurements, fit, etc.  It's either spot on or darned close.  The only possibility I can think of is that my stern might be a bit low.  Looks like I have 4mm space at the narrowest point for the brass bit on top of the gallery.  I need to dig that out and double check.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 12/2/2021 at 12:33 PM, allanyed said:

Thanks Mark!!  Is the 4mm with the planking or just the top timber itself?

OC, Sorry for the confusion, my fault.  I was only looking at what the kit dimension was as it appears heavy in the photo, but I know what it should be based on the scantlings for the size of the ship and era.   I was curious to see if Vanguard got it right as this is often wrong on some kits.  The top of the top timber for the 1745 Establishment and again in the Ship Builders Repository (1788) and Steel's Elements of Naval Architecture (1805) show  it should be about 4 inches,  which would be about 1.58 mm at 1:64.  If the total with inboard planking, top timber, and outboard planking are measured, they would total about 3.5 mm at 1:64. 

Allan 

No problem Allan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looking good Mark  - always  good when you get some paint on the Hull.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks for following along....

More paint... the black this time.  Needs a few touch ups but I'm pretty happy at this point.   Now to sort the red and blue at the top of the hull and how to work around a few "gotcha's" like not paint where things like the channels need to be and the issue of the decorations going under some various bits.

Here's photos as she sits at the moment.

1-52e.JPG.8783e841180e8dfd2ac5ec8087cde8b1.JPG

1-52f.JPG.a26b59237de882e97a9fb1fb7dc78822.JPG

1-52g.JPG.e63f62bd1c4326f90b94e1a68f0d9dca.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Loving the contrast between the Black and White  Mark  - doing a fine job  there.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks OC.   And thanks to everyone for the "likes".  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

that is very nice indeed, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I just got caught up on your log, Mark. Wow...she's really coming along nicely and quickly! Well done!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Well... I've mad a dog's breakfast of things.   I had to move rails down as I indexed them on the wrong mark.  Got out the isopropal and started then disaster.  Seems the alcohol caused the acrylic black to run.  For damage control, I'll put the rails back on where they shouild be and then fix with paint. I'm thinking blue to match the line from the galleries forward to the bow and then black up to the blue.    <sigh>  As I fond ot saying...."crap happens". 

1-52h.JPG.810c39db62b56d17dc19bb9d65122e20.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That would probably work also.   I'll add it to my options.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sorry to hear that Mark - sounds like something I would do! The paint solution sounds like a good plan.

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Well... I've mad a dog's breakfast of things.   I had to move rails down as I indexed them on the wrong mark.  Got out the isopropal and started then disaster.  Seems the alcohol caused the acrylic black to run.  For damage control, I'll put the rails back on where they shouild be and then fix with paint. I'm thinking blue to match the line from the galleries forward to the bow and then black up to the blue.    <sigh>  As I fond ot saying...."crap happens". 

1-52h.JPG.810c39db62b56d17dc19bb9d65122e20.JPG

Hi Mark, do you think the black has been absorbed deep into the wood grain?  Just wondering if a sharp razor blade might scrape the surface clean, rather than paint it over.  A subtle yellow ochre would do the trick if not.  Also thank you for sharing with us your "whoops" moments, as a leading poster/builder on here, if you can share those moments, then that must encourage newcomers to reach out for help on MSW when they hit problems. 👍 👏