HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Thanks, B.E.   It definitely is a small space with many tiny, fiddly parts.   I'm glad I'm finished with that area for now.

I'm at the point of adding the stern and galley windows.   More fiddly bits like sizing the "glass" and fitting into place.  I had hoped the wax "sticks" would help on this but alas, they don't hold the windows long enough to get into position.   Time to re-think and find other options.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

What I did for my windows was to place a very tiny drop of a thick superglue on 2 opposite edges of the window.     Worked beautifully.    As the think glue stayed completely on the edge of the window there was no fogging of the window.

13 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Thanks, B.E.   It definitely is a small space with many tiny, fiddly parts.   I'm glad I'm finished with that area for now.

I'm at the point of adding the stern and galley windows.   More fiddly bits like sizing the "glass" and fitting into place.  I had hoped the wax "sticks" would help on this but alas, they don't hold the windows long enough to get into position.   Time to re-think and find other options.

Ammo Mig Ultra glue, good for small pe parts too, or use Vallejo polyurethane varnish

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

Ammo Mig Ultra glue, good for small pe parts too,

Having bought a jar of this to try I wouldn't be without it now, such a versatile glue. Not only the windows but all the PE and resin decoration on the stern of my Sphinx are securely attached with it.

IMG_0612.thumb.jpeg.8dc6375a72e6e2f1fb420b14ab37fdc4.jpeg

Going up to Bahrain on the Caltex Cannonball

28 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Having bought a jar of this to try I wouldn't be without it now, such a versatile glue. Not only the windows but all the PE and resin decoration on the stern of my Sphinx are securely attached with it.

IMG_0612.thumb.jpeg.8dc6375a72e6e2f1fb420b14ab37fdc4.jpeg

Nice Workmanship 

Thanks for the likes, comments, and glue suggestions.  I'm going to look more into it now that things are quieting down around here.   

I guess I'm just slower than molasses in January.   Been working on the stern and gallery windows as I could find time.   I used the method in the build manual and overall, I'm pretty happy.   Made a decision after making a post in the paint area.....  All the gingerbread/decorations will be yellow ochre.  I could see no reason for them to be gold colored.  I'm giving thought to figuring out how to highlight things a bit.  We'll see as this is new turf for me.

Here's photos of the state of the build and yes, I really, really, need to take some time and get the dust off this thing and also some touch ups.  And lastly.... take her outside in the afternoon while there's good natural light instead of doing photos at night with a flash.  I think it's the flash giving me so weird light flares in places or I really am that poor of a builder and just don't see some stuff.

1-60a.JPG.e53f674df362184c275b15b61e2327d3.JPG1-60b.JPG.42f75843db27363defe21f81e7224d82.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I promise you you’re not alone in the “just don’t see some stuff” area. Honestly, at this point I’m kinda nervous about taking photos because so often I feel really good about something, then I see the photo and go “What the heck?”   
  Except I don’t say “Heck”

Anyway, my point is - I think you’re doing a solid job: don’t lose confidence.

Thanks Bug.   Confidence is not lost.   What I did see in looking closely is that much of the flare seems to be from the varnish.   I'll just change my habit to doing photos in the day and not at night.  

Project is still making progress.  Need to order a PE sheet from Chris as several bits this morning went flying off into the void.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey Mark, your work looks great.  And don't be too hard on yourself about those super up-close pictures.  Even Tom Brady's wife has a ton of flaws if the magnifying glass is big enough!

2 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Hey Mark, your work looks great.  And don't be too hard on yourself about those super up-close pictures.  Even Tom Brady's wife has a ton of flaws if the magnifying glass is big enough!

LOL.... ROFLMAO.   Thanks Glen.  Good point.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Update.  I've been working on fiddly bits... stern and quarter galleries PE.  Very fiddly.  Looking at the rest... I hope I'm not in over my head.   I suspect I've made a mistake on the galleries PE.  Directions say the plans as the decoration changed.  Plans show the old so I winged it.  The stern was a hair puller for sure but I think I got it.  

I decided not to the ship's name based on historical research.   It boiled down to no way is wrong for the time period.

Here's the photos....  still plugging away and figuring things out.

1-61a.JPG.62fe354027f64514043c9d1c64494445.JPG1-61b.JPG.6d2c691ff5ff3582e11a95679dfb3098.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Tom, there's room.  What I did was use the "factory" parts and just moved more to the center.  Cheating?  Yes but not ashamed. LOL.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Confession time.  I blew it.  The gallery decorations.... I used the wrong ones.  <sigh>  I'm going to sleep on it as I'm not sure I can remove those without collateral damage.  Lesson learned.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ouch.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

4 minutes ago, bruce d said:

Ouch.

That's mildly put... the air in the shop is still blue.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, I am so sorry this has happened. I hope there's a way for you to recover either by gently soaking with alcohol or acetone (depending on glue used) and removing or turning the blue air in the shop in time to laughter. I given myself many chuckles and several belly laughs from my mistakes. But I've learned that to be really happy with this hobby, I have to learn to live with my mistakes, I have to make the best of them and move on, none of this is life and death.  

Edited by Keith Black

If you used ca to glue the etch it should come off with a thin blade worked beneath it. Just hold a finger over it, or perhaps a piece of tape to avoid it pinging away.

If it is stubborn paint a little acetone around it.

As you probably know by now the piece you have below the upper rail of the QG  properly belongs to the lower finishing piece, and is the wrong way up.

Remove it, I think you can make it look a lot better, may need a sanding and repaint, but worth the effort.

B.E.

Hey Mark, in my short modeling career, I've lost track of how many things I've messed up, glued wrong, pried off, cleaned up, re-glued, etc.   I learned early on that you cannot do this hobby without being creative and constantly solving problems to get past obstacles. 

This is just another one for you to conquer. 

You got this!!!  And I predict that when you are done, the only people that will ever know you messed up are those of us on this thread!    

Sorry to hear about this, Mark, but I predict it is just a bump in the road of your journey building this wonderful model. We've all been there more times that we'd like to admit and, more times than not, we found a way to fix it. No doubt that you will as well. Good luck! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the likes and comments.   And apologies to Chris for messing up his great kit.  Hopefully, I can get the hang of this PE; 

Took my time and got the wrong one off and the right one in place.   Luckily, I followed directions and used the varnish to secure it.  The ones that came were damaged in getting them off.  Time for new glasses now that things have settled down some.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Fixing mistakes is half the fun. Hang in there!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

6 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Fixing mistakes is half the fun. Hang in there!

Thanks Glenn.   I will hang in there as I'm not a quitter.   I'm enjoying the trip. as they say inspite of my own limitations.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just catching up with you, Mark. Unfortunately, in our ship model world re-do's are the rule rather than the exception. It makes you a member of the club. There, feel better now? Hope the rework goes well for you.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv