Queen Anne Style Royal Barge by Chuck - FINISHED - Syren Ship Model Company - 1:24

Jaxboat & Druxey,

I guess given the scales most of us work at, what the hell, it's only a short step to the molecular level!

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

• 3 months later...

The Alaskan Yellow Cedar barge has been planked.  Still lots to do on this one.  I havent even faired the hull inboard yet.  But before the molding and red paint is added I thought this would give you guys a nice idea of how the yellow cedar looks.  I have just applied some wipe on poly.  You can see the cherry version behind it.   They are actually the exact same size but digital cameras do these funny things....

yellow cedar barge.jpg

I would like to get the cedar version to the same point as the cherry version so I can progress with both simultaneously.

All the cedar is wood project source

Chuck

How do you like AYC for shipmodeling Chuck? I've heard that it's an oily wood and can be hard to glue. But it's a wonderful wood for carving-I've made numberboards for our boat using Alaskan Yellow Cedar, and it was great to work with-reminded me of a softer boxwood. I plan to carve trailboards for Amie using AYC.

Thanks,

Harvey

I like it a lot.  Its a little light for my taste but not too bad.  I am hoping it darkens a bit with age.   The gluing was no problem.   Both CA and carenters glue/titebond.  No issues at all.

The Alaskan Yellow Cedar barge has been planked.  Still lots to do on this one.  I havent even faired the hull inboard yet.  But before the molding and red paint is added I thought this would give you guys a nice idea of how the yellow cedar looks.  I have just applied some wipe on poly.  You can see the cherry version behind it.   They are actually the exact same size but digital cameras do these funny things....

attachicon.gifyellow cedar barge.jpg

I would like to get the cedar version to the same point as the cherry version so I can progress with both simultaneously.

All the cedar is wood project source

Chuck

Lovely work Chuck, as always.

What a strange camera effect.  Reminds me of the old Tootsie Roll advert in Superman comics back in the day :D

I think a combination of both timbers must look great. Frames in pear or cherry and the planking in cedar

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 5 months later...

I just returned from a weekend in Annapolis at the Naval Academy.   About 20 of our NJ club members went down and it was a wonderful time.  Several of us brought our wives and girlfriends.  We enjoyed lunch and dinner and a nice tour of the academy including its workshop where several models are being restored.  Its always a pleasure to see my friends at Preble hall and they were spectacular hosts.  I went down with one important goal besides enjoying the great company.  I knew of a barge model that I wanted to photograph in detail from the same period as my Syren project.  I am about to get back into the shop to work on my prototype.

Here are some photos of that contemporary model.   Note that it is NOT Clinker planked and it is completely planked.   There are many other details of interest  which will be pointed out as I continue my project. Here are some of the folks from our motley group ship modelers.  A bunch of the other guys are missing from this photo, including my wife who was walking around the academy (probably shopping in town)  at the time and in the museum.   We are so fortunate to be such close friends and try to do this type of thing as often as possible.  Where are we going next guys?!!!!  You know many of these guys too.  They are active MSW members.

preble.JPG

and some of the photos of the barge below....I have many more (thanks Mike)  and will post them in an album and in the kit instructions.  This model is circa 1705...Just beautiful!!!

_DSC6911.jpg

_DSC6918.jpg

_DSC6920.jpg

_DSC6923.jpg

Chuck,

The models they made back in that time are amazing.

Go to any naval or maritime museum and look at models built in early 1800's, the detailing is just so exquisite.
I am glad you had a good time, you certainly needed some down time.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks guys.

Greg, Grant wasnt there that day but Don was.   He spoke to our group for a while and we hung around the shop with the other guys who volunteer.  He was off to Europe to visit the NMM that afternoon.   Most everyone had been there many many times before but we took our time and some of the other guys accessed other buildings and models too.  A very nice time had by all.  

Here is a view of the guys in the shop with ongoing restorations at the Academy. I believe that was a builders model of the Maine on the right.

prebleshop.jpg

Chuck

Just an update on the barge prototype.  Work has continued since I got back from Annapolis.  It was quite inspiring.  Compare some of the images of the contemporary barge model.  It was very helpful being able to examine it close up.  The riser and stretcher timbers have been added.  All are laser cut.  Then the forward platform.

I am now test fitting the thwarts in position.   These are all just dry fit.  No glue.....yet.   The thwarts are all laser cut with etched trim.  There are little notches laser cut on both sides to accept the center board between each thwart.  I will dry fit them all together and then glue them in afterwards.  I want to ensure a proper fit with thaat center board going straight down the center.  Once I know that is OK I will glue them in and paint them.  Or paint them first...I am not sure yet.

Chuck

stretcherchocks.jpg

bargethwarttest.jpg

The barge looks superb Chuck, a testament to your skills.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Sweet work, Chuck.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

All of the thwarts are now in place.  But no glue yet.  These are all just test fit.  The tweaking is completed and all of the pieces seem to fit together with nice tight joints.   I will glue them into place next and paint them.  She is finally getting there....:)  Once these are done the only major construction left is the remaining inboard planking.   After that its just the fancy bits and little detailing which makes it all come together.  The paneling and carvings ect.

thwartsinstalledqueenannebarge.jpg

Thank You Gentlemen....:P

I installed the thwarts and painted them.    Then I began planking the area above them.   I glued one laser cut, pre-spiled plank above the thwarts.  The interesting thing about this plank is the fact that it doesnt extend up to the shear.  It in fact is only wide enough to just touch the bottom edge of the caprail.   This leaves a consistent rabbet or ledge all around the caprail.   Then smaller lengths of laser cut wood the same thickness of the planking are strategically placed on top of this plank.  These small strips do extend to the sheer and are sanded flush with the top of the cap rail.   These pieces are ONLY placed where an oarlock (tholes) will be located.   And they alternate port to starbord as is typical with single banked barges.  This can be seen clearly in the photograph supplied of a typical contemporary model of a barge.

_DSC6918.jpg

inboardplanking.jpg

Once Painted I couldnt wait to try out my laser cut panels.  I didnt even wait until all of the interior planking was completed.  This was a real pain to do on the pinnace model and those of you who have built that kit can probably agree.   For the pinnace kit, in order to create the panels you had to first scrape some molding strips to create the fancy profile while keeping the strips very thin.   Then each panel was made by hand where you had to miter each corner of every square panel.  It took dozens of hours over several days.   To alleviate this pain I tried to design laser cut panels with a fancy molded edge. It was of huge importance that this work and look good, in addition to the time savings I was planning on including the friezes in this kit.  If they were laser cut and a consistent size I could include them no problems....

I was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out.  What took dozens of hours over several days on the Pinnace took only a half hour to do on this barge.

I have just tested these in position and they are not glued into place yet.  That will be done later after I finish the inboard planking.  The panels are very delicate at only 1/32" thick.  So I sanded the top surface to clean it up and make it bright.  I used a light touch with 320 grit paper.  Then I lightly sanded the outside edges only.  I didnt bother with the inside edges because the panels are too fragile.   I also didnt bother trying to remove the laser char from the etched fancy profile.   After sanding the edges lightly the darker char actually emphasizes the profile and looks rather good.   I would hope you all agree.  They are made from boxwood and once finished with wipe-on-poly they look quite nice.  Friezes printed on paper will be inserted into each panel much like the contemporary model shown above.

inboardplanking1.jpg

panels.jpg 

Thank you very much for the likes and comment.

The panels were completed and glued into position.  You could leave them like that with just the empty panels which has been seen on many contemporary models.  In this case I chose to insert printed friezes into them like the contemporary model shown above.

I actually patterned the same same frieze design from that contemporary model and used it on my prototype.  What do you guys think.   I will be working on the step into the stern sheets next and then started on the outboard details again shortly after.

freizeson.jpg

freizeson1.jpg

freizeson2.jpg

friezeson3.jpg

Chuck

Beautiful work Chuck.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Wow !!!!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looks great, Chuck, and certainly reflects other contemporary models. The blue looks a bit vivid to me but perhaps I'm used to a deeper blue on the Navy Board models I've seen.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Right there with you Greg.  I guess I couldnt fight my Italian urge to be extra bright and gaudy.   But yes, after a day or so I re-did the friezes making them a more subdued blue gray.  This is more in keeping with the contemporary model I used as a reference.  Comments are welcomed !!!  Any thoughts ???

feizescontemp.jpg

friezeson4.jpg

friezeson5.jpg

friezeson6.jpg

friezeson7.jpg