Sloop Speedwell 1752 by Chuck - Ketch Rigged Sloop - POF - prototype build

Originally I was gonna make just ten of those mini speedwell kits for a limited edition for joint clubs…if there is enough interest i will not do that.  I will choose this other model I have had on the drawing boards.  

A limited run never to be be made beyond the ten kits for joint clubs.  I need to start work on this asap….so this is how I am leaning.

image.png

I'd be interesting in a middle size model; maybe 3/16 rather than 1/16. 

I don't know that my eyes would even be able to handle 1/8.

Of course, this is taking the whole thing way beyond your intentions.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

No way, my eyes would give out and I’d break every part. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On my my my. That is soooo small and soooo tempting. I'd really have to give it a go if it becomes available. The swear jar would get a hefty donation too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

19 minutes ago, Rustyj said:

On my my my. That is soooo small and soooo tempting. I'd really have to give it a go if it becomes available. The swear jar would get a hefty donation too!

I’d have to make an Autopay account to the swear jar.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

My jar is full from the last one, lol . I would be interested in a SIB=Speedwell  in Bottle

I am pretty sure you will need more than 10  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Yes it looks like that will happen.   But keep in mind this is all new to me.  So how viable it will be will be determined after I am assured I can do it.  I will start a new build log for the mini speedwell once I get started.  I have to start over and take pictures...I will also need to do some redrafting to incorporate what I learned from from experiments up to this point.  I will also also admit that I dont own any of his books or any books on making miniature models.   So I will just wing it and see how it turns out.   I could start reading up on how everyone else does these extreme miniature models but I have decided to stay pure to my own unpolluted experiments.   We shall see how it turns out.

Getting back to the full sized 3/8" scale version....another first for me as I have never built a POF model before....

Work continues on the framing.

The last two cant frames number 28 and 29 were added.  These looked very challenging after reading Greg's account of building them.   But once the proper shapes were drafted after about 5 attempts at tweaking them,  they were surprising easily to bevel and add.

Here is a look at the two aft cant frames after shaping.  

filleraft cant.jpg

They are laser cut of course.  With etched reference lines for the bevels required.   The first ...number 28...was easy enough.  Just a bevel along the top.  This illustration should explain it better than I can describe in writing.

bevelaftcant28.jpg

Then it was glued into place using the last remaining slot in the deadwood.

Aft cant frame 29 or as Greg and David describe it...a filler frame,  was done just the same.  But there are more bevels that were sanded into them with a sanding stick.   I disc sander would do the trick in about 30 seconds.  But as I mentioned, I am building this entirely by hand without power tools as I know many folks dont have those.

bevelaftcant29.jpg

Its beveled to sit against the wing transom.  But it is also beveled to sit against the deadwood.   There is no slot created by those wedges for this one.   The heel must be beveled in the traditional way.   Laser etched lines show you exactly were to start the bevels. It doesnt take very long to do.

Lastly a bottom of the heel was sanded on a curve to match the bearding line.   Then it was tested in position.   Tweak it if you need to but mine fit rather well on the first go.  I got lucky.   Glue them in and fair the hull frames for one final last time.  Here is a picture of those last two aft cant frames which you can see.  This was taken after fairing.   I also added the treenails for all of the frames to finish it up.

filleraft cant1.jpg

This completed all of the hull framing except for the upper port sills.  So that was next.

These are also laser cut and rather simple to glue into position.   I also laser cut a spacer that is the correct height.   You can make your own that stretches all the way from port to starboard but this small length worked just as well.   The spacer is laser cut in two layers.  Just glue the layers together so you have a nice wide spacer.   Rest it on the lower sill and position the upper.   Its really very easy.   

upperportsills.jpg

Do this for the six upper sills on each side.  They were laser cut slightly longer than needed.  Just sand it to fit nice and tight and glue them in.   Then fair it into the hull.

This actually finishes up all the hull frames.  All done and it took 5 1/2 months from design to completion at this point.

I only have the stern framing left to finish up chapter two.   Then its on to planking.   Here are some pictures.  I am actually quite pleased since I had never built a POF model before.   It was like diving right in the deep end.  But surprisingly it all worked out according to plan.   Withought any major challenges or redesigns.

I have posted an image of the framing plan right beneath the last photo so you can see how it all followed the plan as developed quite well.  Who would have thought!!

framingdone.jpg

framingdone2.jpg

framingdone1.jpg

speedwellframesall done1.jpg

And one last drawing......showing the difference in scales between the 3/8" and 3/32" scale Speedwell models.

speedwellframesall done2.jpg

Congrats on completion of the main framing, took me a couple of years to do that on my Pegasus! And then I had to do it all again! Amazing amount of work for 5 1/2 months.

Congratulations for reaching this very impressive milestone.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you guys.  It is much appreciated.  The problem solving and design is just as much fun as building her.  Its like solving a crypto-quote.  A very large and complex crypto-quote.

29 is the one on the bottom....you would know if you had the piece unshaped in front of you.   You just need to bevel the heel to sit against the deadwood.  Same as any traditional cant frame.   The other side or the top is beveled also.   From the line shown to the corner so its a sharp diagonal point.   This bevel sits against the forward edge of the wing transom.   

Chuck

filleraft cant.jpg

fillerframe29.jpg

Congrats on completing the framing, Chuck. Looks very, very nice indeed! Your problem-solving talent is really impressive.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Fantastic design and execution! I can't wait to she her at the NE Conference.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Chapter two has been completed...

I managed to complete the stern framing.   Its much easier than a larger frigate like the Winnie.   Its just a matter of going slow and taking careful measurements.  I have also added some features which will make alignment pretty tough to do wrong.

Here are the steps...sorry for the long post but these are my notes for the instructions while I remember them.

To begin...take the two center stern frames.  Sand the laser char from the forward side and the the sides.   No reason to do the aft side.

There are slots on the top of the wing transom where the bottom of these frames will be positioned.  The forward edge of the stern frames should be flush with the forward edge of the wing transom.   You will notice how the aft edge of the stern frames hang over the aft edge of the wing transom.  This is by design.

The top of each stern frame will rest in the notches laser cut into the jig on the top of the hull.   Just rest them in the notches but dont glue them here.  The stern frames are only glued onto the wing transom.   A rubber band holds the top of the two center stern frames together and in the notches of the jig.  Put one or even both of the keys back into the jig (the keys for centering the stern post earlier) to help pull the stern frames forward so they sit firmly in the notches of the jig.

sternframing.jpg

Then slide the laser cut spacer (3/64" thick) between the two center stern frames.   This may cause the stern frames to spread apart a little.  That is fine.   The filler are a perfect fit.  Dont sand anything off the filler.   Have it sit flush with the aft edge of the stern frames.   The bottom edge should also sit flush to the bottom of the stern frames as shown.   Note the laser etched reference line for the stern window sill along the bottom.  This will be important really soon.

sternframing1.jpg

Then add the two remaining fillers on either side.  You may have to tape these in position.  If you didnt fair the inboard side of your quarter pieces enough they may be too tight.   Dont sand the filler pieces to fit.   Sand the inboard side of those quarter pieces on the hull so they fit.  Use apencil to precisely mark where the stern light (window)  sills will be placed.  Just draw a reference line on the stern frames and quarter pieces.

sternframing2.jpg

We will now add the stern window sills between the stern frames.   These are laser cut for you.   Clean the laser char from the top and bottom of these pieces.  They have been laser cut slightly longer than need.  

There are paper templates on the plans for these three pieces.  They are used to shape the gentle curve of the transom.   Glue these to the top of each piece.  Sand them to shape.  The one on the left has been sanded already....remove the template and get ready to install them.

sternframing3.jpg

Leave the center filler between the two stern frames for now.   We will add the outer sills first with these in position.  Install these using your pencil reference lines for their proper placement.  Sand the sides to get them to fit snug as they are laser cut slightly longer.  Make sure you dont spread the open space apart because your sills are too long. That would be bad.   Make sure they fit snug but with no movement in the frames or quarter pieces.  See below.

sternframing4.jpg

Then remove the center filler and do the same with the center windowsill.  Note how I removed the aft jig on the top of the hull at this point and set it aside.   This will be important in the next step.  I also sanded the the outboard edge of the sills to fair them into the general shape needed.  You want the transom to sit flush against the stern frames in the next step.

sternframing5.jpg

OK were going to add the laser cut transom next.   You may want to do a test run with just tape initially.   It is 3/64" thick.   One side of the transom has laser etched reference lines on it.   This is the INBOARD side.   Those lines are to help you position it correctly.  In fact, it is more important that use look at the inboard side while you test fit this.   Maybe with some tape first.

This is how it looks outboard...

sternframing6.jpg

But inboard is where the magic happens.  Its how you will position it properly.  If you look really closely...at the back edge of the sills you will seethe laser etched reference line on the transom.   That line is used to establish the height.  If you placed your sills properly then you can align the transom so this reference line follows the top edge of the sills.   This will leave a nice lip above it for inserting the stern windows later.  Ihope that makes sense as I explained it.

sternframing7.jpg

There are also etched lines for the two center stern frames.  They may be harder to see above but they are there.   This will help you position the transom port to starboard.  

So after this test fit you know what you need to do to get this positioned correctly.  Its time to glue it on.   BUT

Dont just add some glue to the aft side of every stern frame and quarter piece and the sills and go for it.   That would certainly be a huge mistake.  There is no way you can get this positioned correctly in one shot before the glue sets.

So...do it in stages.

Step one....Only apply glue to the aft side of the transom below the reference line for the sills.  You should only glue the bottom of the transom in place first.   Make sure the etched line is flush with the top of the sills.  Make sure the center stern frames are "centered" between the reference for them.   There is no glue on these so just use it to center to the transom port and starboard.   At least down low where the sills are.   Maybe your alignment is perfect for these toward the top of the transom and that is just fine right now.  The cedar is soft and the frames are flexible as you are probably aware by now.   Let that glue set firmly.

Step 2....Glue the sides of the transom to the quarter pieces.   NOT the center frames yet.   You can easily get a toothpick with some glue on it between the transom and the quarter pieces.  Glue one side at a time.   You only need glue on about 1/4" down the aft side of the quarter pieces.  

With the sides of the transom secured...

Step 3...glue the center stern frames.   Apply some glue on the aft edge of the stern frames....between the frames and transom.   No need to apply glue all the way down to the sills.  Just about a quarter inch down the stern frames is fine.   Flex the stern frames so they fall right between the laser etched lines on the transom for them.   Hold or clamp until the glue sets.   Repeat for the remaining center stern frame.

This is how I managed to position it so perfectly.   Dont be impatient and try to glue it on in one shot...it wont end well.

sternframing7.jpg

Now as long as your sills were positioned properly your transom will be as well.

One last thing in this chapter....two small "triangular pieces"  laser cut need to be added.  You can see it below.   They sit on top of the quarter piece and against the transom to complete the run of the qdeck bulwarks.  You do have to bevel the aft edge so they sit flush against the transom.  They also sit flush with the outboard side of the hull.  You can sand them flush with the outboard side when you are done. Also sand the top edge smooth so you get a nice run into the quarter piece.

Note....you may have noticed that I didnt sand the laser char of the transom edges.  I am specifically talking about the inside edges of the window openings.   I did this on purpose because I dont want to alter their shape.   I will leave the char or paint it later.   Better to have a good shaped window opening.  That is more important.    I also slipped that top jig back into position.   You dont have to but it couldn't hurt to have more support at this stage.  Just remember that if you turn the hull upside down from here on out,  you will need to prop up the hull first.  You dont want to damage the stern transom and stern framing.  

sternframing8.jpg

Thats it for chapter two...the framing is completely done.  Next up will be planking.   I will start with the square tuck and counter. Then I will plank from the wales up.

sternframing9.jpg

Thank you for saying.

If you would allow me.   I couldnt wait to test the stern light in position.   They fit wonderfully.  But more important is that I found and tested a new material.  These are cut from wood on the Winnie and other projects I have done in the past.  But this new material is wonderful.   It laser cut perfectly and leaves no race of laser char at all....not one bit.  Just check out the inside edges of the window panes.   No char.

This is a a huge win plus it is very very strong and I dont have to worry about folks breaking these.   They wont break.

I am just unsure about one thing.   Too many color choices.  This material comes in so many colors.   There are about 4 choices of Tan and wood colored material.   There is also white...or Ivory.

I am not sure if I should go with white since I do paint my models and have friezes.   White might be a great choice.  Something different.

If not I also have a color that is a perfect match for Cedar or even boxwood.  As you can see.

What are your thoughts on the color?   I also acknowledge that the thickness of the panes (mullions) are too thick.   I originally made them that thick because they were going to be cut from wood like the Winnie.  I needed to for strength.   But  now I can go back and make those extrs thin which will be a huge improvement as well.

But which color??

sternlights.jpg

sternlights2.jpg

I had looked at the Amazon model which uses white for the mullions and windows.  I like the look.

An image showing ''Amazon', full stern'

Also note how the top of the windows...the false panes are in another layer.   This is also true of the Speedwell. But just the two outboard stern lights. 

l5783_004.jpg

Might I suggest off-white? Bright white does not look good at scale size. And I presume that this wonder material can be painted to any other wood color the builder fancies.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you for the feedback. Yes it can be painted.  But there are so many colors I dont think I have to.   This particular color is called warm ivory.   I think this might be the winner.   I also thinned down the mullions quite a bit and it is more in scale.  It looks very fragile but in reality it isnt.  I am quite happy with the fit and scale of these.   I have some time to pick a color and it might look completely different after the carvings and columns are added.   But having so much flexibility with the color is so nice.

sternlights3.jpg