Chris Watton and Vanguard Models news and updates Volume 2

55 minutes ago, Pitan said:

Don't think I've seen a small boat with a windlass before, what was the purpose?

The windlass and stern davit was used for various tasks, one of thich was to help work the anchors with their parent ship, helping lifting the crown so that the anchor could free itself, and the the ships capstan did the work of raising it. The windlass was used to coil the buoy rope.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I am just curious... considering all the details of the lower deck, will it be visible or mostly covered up by the upper deck? 
Peep holes through the deck?    

Harpyfinal4.jpg.2ed43b6d33e3465590d5263d625ac42f.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Yes, most will not be seen, as I have to take into account the depth of the carronade carriages and the various openings down the centre of the deck. When I started this, my main thought was that I want to include a ships stove, and it kind of progressed from there.

However, as some build logs of Sphinx and Indy has shown, the modeller can choose how much of the upper deck is planked, and this one will be easier due to the sub deck being much less prominent, and the beams being flush with the upper surface of the ply deck.

I always think back to the excellent Tamiya kits I have, where they have details that are almost, sometimes completely covered up once fully built. 

Harpy also has 17 bulkheads with lots of bracing, so very structurally sound..

Yesterday I clamped and then glued the final iteration of the gun port patterns - as usual for this sort of kit, no gunports or oar ports need to be marked and cut out, these will be already done.

Harpy final 6.jpg

logo.jpg

Posted (edited)

Here you can see the ply pattern clamped and glued in place. No pins were used at all in fixing these. They were first clamped in place and then brush glued. Note there are no kinks in the lower edges at all, all fits nicely. The second pic shows were I am up to, checking the very first iteration of the outer bulwark skin and main wale, just clamped loosly in place to check general fit. The final ones will have engraved detail. Next job is to first plank the hull, which I shall start next week.

Harpy final 14.jpg

Harpy final 15.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Here is an unboxing review of Sherbourne, bt the Midwest Model Shops in the US:

(Not much else to report on, just been producing/re stocking Indy laser cut sheets, which has taken an absolute age to do...)

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Very nice review, but when watching this video my low point was the person reviewing the kit.

There were several places where he stumbled on definitions of parts. That being said, I still like to get one of the Sherbourne kit some day.
I truly believe I can do her true justice. And being presented in the new lawyer bookcase that the Admiral and I will pick up in a month.
Chris, one day my order will drop into your box.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I have commisioned a second figure of Nelson using a new carver with more accurate facial features:

These are a work in progress with a little more tweaking required. The render showing Nelson on the plinth was the first. I asked, based on previous feedback, to have dowels on the bottom of the feet and holes to take the dowels in the plinth, if people want to display the figure either on the plinth, or on the deck directly.

Nelson 1.jpg

Nelson 2.jpg

Nelson 3.jpg

Nelson 4.jpg

Nelson 5.jpg

logo.jpg

The detail looks amazing Chris, but I'm intrigued by the style of the sword.

It does not  resemble any Naval sword I recall seeing, was it perhaps a specific sword gifted to Nelson?

It rather looks like the sword on the Nelson statue atop his column.

The Nelson Companion edited by Colin White has a photo of the only sword that is known to have been owned by Nelson, and it is of the traditional type.

For the purposes of displaying the figure on a model I think it would be safer to include a Naval pattern sword.

Just a thought.

B.E.

If the sword in the original model above, is the one used in his monument, why not offer both? Someone might like to display the monument version next to the ship, rather than a figure on the deck.

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

The sword will be replaced with a 1795 Naval Pattern :)

Touché, Chris. A cut above.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

On 4/27/2024 at 3:26 AM, chris watton said:

Here you can see the ply pattern clamped and glued in place. No pins were used at all in fixing these. They were first clamped in place and then brush glued. Note there are no kinks in the lower edges at all, all fits nicely.

Chris, I'm curious to know if you have done anything different in designing the ply pattern on this model than on some of your previous models so that this ply pattern fits so well without any waviness or crinkles?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

6 minutes ago, BobG said:

Chris, I'm curious to know if you have done anything different in designing the ply pattern on this model than on some of your previous models so that this ply pattern fits so well without any waviness or crinkles?

It's more dependant on the hull lines, but there are a couple of things I can do to mitigate it further.

logo.jpg

Chris, this looks as though it was taken from Nelson's statue at Trafalgar Square?

There will be some distortion on the statue, due to the original sculptor exaggerating the top of the figure to compensate for perspective.
It is worth checking paintings made during Nelson's life, to make a more balanced form.

If I remember Nelson's biography, he had a relatively slight figure for much of his life.
He did, for a while, bulk up, but lost the extra weight during an illness (possibly malaria, though may have been some tuberculosis).

Off-topic, but the Royal Collection Trust site may have items of interest.

Examples
Painting of "Dirk, sword and cocked hat of Lord Nelson" (Willliam Gibb): https://www.rct.uk/collection/search#/8/collection/929407/dirk-sword-and-cocked-hat-of-lord-nelson

Images from Robert Southey's book Life of Lord Nelson (v1 1814) https://www.rct.uk/collection/search#/26/collection/1047034/the-life-of-lord-nelson-v-1

Less relevant, but maybe of interest
[Planning for Trafalgar,] a fair copy of memoranda issued by Lord Nelson: https://www.rct.uk/collection/search#/25/collection/1198306/fair-copy-of-memoranda-issued-by-lord-nelson-regarding-tactics-and-sailing

A letter from Lord Nelson [, in his own hand,] to his father following the Battle of Copenhagen: https://www.rct.uk/collection/1198309/letter-from-lord-nelson-to-his-father-following-the-battle-of-copenhagen-dated-5

I agree with Pitan's observations; Nelson was not a weight-lifter! The revised figure is more convincing, but perhaps still tall for the size of his head.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Well, the file's been done now for that figure, so can no longer change it. I will ask for a seated officer next.

What a morning, from 9am until just now I have been cleaning the laser machine after re stocking Indy and other laser cut parts. Not an enviable job..

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Little update.

I will soon have a new 24 and 26-foot launch for sale later today. These have 3-d printed hulls, windlass and stern davit, and a 0.8mm pear laser cut sheet containing knees, thwarts, oars etc. Both in 64th scale for now.

I have also commissioned a 22- and 24-foot cutter, 22-foot yawl, 28 and 32-foot pinnace and another launch, so ultimately, I shall have complete pre made hull sets (along with the laser cut wood parts to go with them) for all of my kits, including future developments, as an alternative to the plank on bulkhead versions.

Also almost ready are the new Nelson figures. This will be available in 72nd, 64th, 48th, 32nd and a few in 1:16th scale. These have a separate base.

001 Launch 1.jpg

001 Launch 2.jpg

001 Launch 3.jpg

001 Launch 4.jpg

001 Launch 5.jpg

001 Launch 6.jpg

26 foot launch 1.jpg

logo.jpg

Page for the launches are now live:

24′ and 26′ Launches (3D printed hulls) – VANGUARD MODELS

26 foot – 123 long x 37 mm wide - £29.00
24 foot – 112mm long x 34.5 wide - £27.00

Each mini kit has three 3-d printed parts and one sheet of 0.8mm pear laser cut parts.

I am very happy to have started to produce these, and the forthcoming boat types. I remember the choices always being pretty slim (to put it mildly) for pre made hulls, usually having to settle for some generic type that was always too much of a compromise - and I also know that many have trouble, or do not like the plank on bulkhead mini kits. I am hoping these will help fill a gap...

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg