USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Hi Augie,

I can only agree with all the plaudits above mate, your doing a superb job and she's going to be a credit to your skills.

The windows are great and so realistic and that backside is wonderful, I do love a nice backside.

Keep it up mate, looking forward to your next update.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Computer was down for 2 days and I just got back up.  Thanks for all the kind comments and likes ----- all most appreciated.

On the painted castings.  Testor's Model Master enamel  named 'wood'.  Solvent based.  No primer.  Just thinned it a bit with acetone and did 6 coats brush on.  Then one coat of Testors Acrlic Flat Lacquer. 

Now, I knew someone would notice the stern scrollwork not being reversed.  Actually, not just someone -----  BEN!  I'd like to say I did it as a test, but no....just an old fool stumbling along.  I might just fix it.  Hey ----- I got them right P/S  :D :D

Will be back in the shop soon to do pintles and dungeons ( I despise metal work).

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Computer was down for 2 days and I just got back up.  Thanks for all the kind comments and likes ----- all most appreciated.

On the painted castings.  Testor's Model Master enamel  named 'wood'.  Solvent based.  No primer.  Just thinned it a bit with acetone and did 6 coats brush on.  Then one coat of Testors Acrlic Flat Lacquer. 

Now, I knew someone would notice the stern scrollwork not being reversed.  Actually, not just someone -----  BEN!  I'd like to say I did it as a test, but no....just an old fool stumbling along.  I might just fix it.  Hey ----- I got them right P/S  :D :D

Will be back in the shop soon to do pintles and dungeons ( I despise metal work).

Perhaps if you did gudgeons instead of dudgeons it would be less painful....

Sorry Augie, couldn't help myself.....great work....makes me rethink even starting......

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

That's a result to be proud of Augie. The stern looks fantastic. This kit is heading to near the top of my wish list due to yours and Ben's efforts.

You won't go wrong with this kit Timmo.  The plans and instructions are just a pleasure to work with thanks to Chuck.

Rich ---  if you go back a few pages you'll see the transom is a kit-supplied laser cut piece.  I just painted it black with about 8 coats of MS Hull Black acrylic and gave it a coat of flat acrylic lacquer.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wow Augie, you are doing some beautiful work. Its simply amazing. I really like the windows, and your castings really do look like wood. They blend well, great choice of paint!

Richard

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Sorry Augie - they look fine as they are!

ben

The rudder, gudgeons and pintels have been installed.  We'll be adding some additional photoetched details to the hull next, including the sweep port hinges.

post-56-0-43490200-1397497383_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-78801700-1397497431_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-70618500-1397497490_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-28155600-1397497501_thumb.jpg

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Very nice rudder and fiddly bits Augie! Those last two pictures are excellent.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Ditto !! Patrick...... you're move'n right along Augie, classy looking ship!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

looking good Augie........well done on the rudder!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very nicely done Augie - as Bob said, it really adds to the overall appearance of the stern. Can I borrow your photographer? - he seems to do a far better job than mine. ;)

Hi Augie,

That is some great work on the stern and rudder. You took a very complex area and did yourself proud! B) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks to all for the comments.  Always a shot in the arm for me.  Very glad to be moving away from the stern for a while.  We'll hold off on the rudder pendants until I get her back on the building cradle.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Let me add to the chorus.... great looking rudder, Augie!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

don't say that word Sjors.....it's beautiful here at the moment! this lug here, already has his spring veggies in the ground!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow Augie, that stern is stunning!!! it looks so real, not model-like!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Having just logged the 500th hour in the build log, it's time for a small update.

A portion of the photoetched parts for the outer hull have been added.  The first photo shows them blackened and ready to deploy:

post-56-0-53887300-1397751260_thumb.jpg

For the blackening, I use the process described throughout MSW.  Specifically, the trimmed parts are degreased by bathing in acetone for about 10 minutes followed by an 'etching' in a household vinegar bath for about the same time.  They are then soaked in a bath of 50% 'Blacken-it' for 5-15 minutes, rinsed thoroughly then dried.  Before gluing (using either CA or epoxy), the surface to be glued is roughened with a 150 grit sanding block.  After the part is applied to the ship, a coat of Testors Flat Acrylic lacquer is applied.  This protects the coating and (I think) gives a nice appearance.

Stern gun port hinges and rings, keel fastener:

post-56-0-24843400-1397751669_thumb.jpg

Bilge port and sweep port hinges:

post-56-0-44723500-1397751732.jpg

Bridle port and forward keel fastener:

post-56-0-05798800-1397751819_thumb.jpg

Finally, just an overview of where she stands: 

post-56-0-95837400-1397751888_thumb.jpg

It is now time to bid a fond farewell to the outer hull for the time being.  There is still much to be done but we will now turn our attention to the innermost details of the ship.  But first, a short break in the shipyard to acknowledge the arrival of good weather, tend to the garden and (long delayed) Spring cleaning. 

Everyone stay the course and be well!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Dang it Augie, you did it again. Those pictures take my breath away. Those are outstanding details. You forgot to mention the beer and fishing for after spring cleaning.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Augie,

That rudder turned out amazingly! Very Nice :)

Seems like you followed the instructions to the very detail.

Looking forward to get my "beast" (weight wise) in the beginning of next week.

She will not be the next in line though. Have the 18th century longboat first. But still a Passaro kit. With the upgraded wood from Jeff Hayes at Hobbymill.

Talking about Jeff at HobbyMill, did you order any material from him and if so would it be possible for me get the list of changes? If so, please pm that one.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry