Licorne by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - POF - TERMINATED LOG

Thanks Russ, NenadM, and Juergen.

Russ,

You forgot:  "and it's fun".   The intimidation factor is always self-induced with me.  Didn't take long to get over that.

Juergen and NenadM,

Feel free to use anything you find here.  I found on MSW (and I think one was found on DDM) all the "special" tools I'm using.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Plan is still... go up to the caprail line with planks, chain wale, and any decorative plank.. I think there's one....  then head south and do the garboard strake, the wales and then fill in the blank area.  :)   Yup... simple.

This is weird.  I actually understood that.  Sounds like a good plan actually.  I will keep it in mind next time I attempt to plank a hull.  I look forward to seeing the progress.  I'll keep the popcorn machine running while you put on the show.    

Edited by DSiemens

Hi Mark,

Ahhh yes, the fun part begins, single planking a curvaceous French ship, I can feel the excitement all the way here my friend  :D

Kidding aside, with the top-notch planking job you've done to Constellation, I have no doubt that you will pull this off with flying colors :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Great start Mark, 9 inches is only 1/8th wow!  I still have trouble getting my head around how small these models of huge ships are. I'm used to 1/8th equaling 1 inch.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

your going to be so happy to get her out of that jig..........I hope you have a stand ready ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great work Mark.  The Licorne is a gorgeous ship - can't wait to see her develop under your care :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Good luck Mark...... and don't forget, have fun !! Like Aldo says, it's a curvaceous French ship, so have fun planking !

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hey Mark hows it going? Good to see you finally hitting the planking part. i love this part cause it really gets the juices flowing as you lay each plank. I hope you ain't too hot there, because we sure are....

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. 

Mario,

It's been in the 80's until Friday.. it's now 106o F here. 

Well, it's been a week of hell at work with long days and seemingly short nights and this coming week isn't promising to get any better.  But I did manage to finally get the first strake laid and after a bit of tweaking, I'm happy.   I flipped the photo to see it "right side up".  This is the first strake above the wales.  I'm planking upward... or downward....or fiddlesticks...towards the chain wale as this is lower in profile than the wales and I can sand them without damaging the wales. 

The wale line goes pretty much straight back from the bow and about 2/3rds of the way, it starts sweeping upward.  The width is pretty consistant from 6 planks wide at the stern, through the mid-ships to about 1/3rd of the way from the bow then ends up a the bow 6-1/2 planks wide.  I'll get creative with some wider wood at the bow area or slip in a stealer... maybe a half-checked stealer... ???

post-76-0-34705900-1372651953_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You know Mark….

You are saying that you flip the picture but….I think it's in human nature that I'm now standing up, turn my head into a impossible direction to see the picture as it should be….. :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks guys.

B.E.,  to my knowledge they used butt joints.  But look at the cross-section attachment.  This ship has a blending of the wales to the planking.  I'm still figuring out how to get the taper right.

post-76-0-47405400-1372664502_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice Mark,

But you didn't need to flip the picture for we Southern Hemisphere folk, it was already the right way up! :P :P :P

That is a very pleasing line you've created there Mark.  Those upcoming curves are something.

Hold fast!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

good to see you've started to plank her.......looking good Mark ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

clever trick with the photograph Mark. it makes sense to do that. When working on a painting I was told to turn it upside down and then you can spot minor errors.

I bet you are looking forward to the day that you can cut it loose. If I were working with this method I would trim the builing sheet as soon as possible to get rid of the large flat plane . that would give me the best of both worlds. I could sit it upside down or right side up and also be able to visualize the ship more easily. But that is just me.

The first plank looks good only x number to go :D

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Happy birthday, Mark! May you have many more happy birthdays to come, my friend  :champagne:  :champagne-2:

Wow! Licorne sure has some lovely lines, a testament to your excellent work :)

Thanks for sharing that interesting cross section, those 18th Century French Shipwrights sure have a thing for aesthetics, it seems that after the step caused by the black strake (?), all the strakes, including the wale blend so smoothly together, it seems to be quite a challenge, but I have no doubt you will pull it off beautifully  B)

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

I'm sorry, but every time I look at the lines of a French frigate the rap song "I like Big Butts" pops into my head.  I can't figure out why.

Happy Birthday

Edited by JerryTodd

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Thanks for gentle comments and birthday wishes, everyone.   

Jerry.... I need a new keyboard after that one...post-76-0-14282800-1372964183.gif

Michael,

The board is as small as I can make it and still use the stand to support it when I flip it.  Also, all my measurements use the base board as a refence and I need room for the tool.  There will be a day when she's cut free....

I learned that upside down trick seemingly eons ago for both painting and photography.  Works a treat.

Aldo,

I've been playing with the wood and I think stepping the thickness and then sanding to shape will work.  We'll see.

Popeye,

You're psychic... I did that..  day after my 18th, I joined the USMC but didn't leave for boot camp until September.

Ah... noon has arrived.  The day's yard work has been finished, the BBQ is cleaned and ready to fire up (though I don't need a holiday or special occasion to use it) and it's officially "beer-o'clock".  Because of the distance involved... I'll share a virtual beer with everyone.  post-76-0-38186600-1372964653.gif  For those who don't... coffee...post-76-0-65170300-1372964704.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  Beer-o-clock, wine-o-clock, drink with an umbrella in it-o-clock... works for me today. :)

Greg, actually I'm not counting those days at all... I'm counting the days until I can retire. ;)

Hmm.... I wanted to "like" all your posts, but I got this (direct quote from the error message)  "You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day".. strange... didn't know we could do that.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hy Mark, good luck for the planking :-)

Looks great so far!

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

hope you had a good day my friend!   June ended wet...........now July is starting out hot.    took me two days to get the lawn under control.

just in time for me to go back to work.......oh well............ <_<

hope to see more on the planking ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

I'm doing about the same... the hot weather brought out the weeds in the lawn..<sigh>  Plus fighting for time and sanity due to a mad crunch going on at work. 

I'm currently lining off the hull from the wale to the caprail to get a sense of the flow and lines as well as spacing.  Nit-picky work but I think it'll pay big dividends later.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: