HMS Victory by guraus - scale 1:48 plank on frames

Beautiful and precise work, Alexandru.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Absolutely gorgeous.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Alexandru,

This set of updated photos, is beyond my working vocabulary to properly express the astonishing beauty of your project.

Regards,

Michael

Beautiful and precise work, Alexandru.

Alexandru,

Spectacular!

Mark

Absolutely gorgeous.

Like all of these friends Alexandru, I'm am so impressed with your workmanship.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

More spectacular work Alexandru. Just beautiful. And a very informative set of photographs too, thank you.

Spectaclar is the word for this, Alexandru.  And thanks for showling how you did the wheel and the problem you ran into.  How did you manage to slice off the wheel from the block without breaking it?  I've been wondering about such things.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Spectaclar is the word for this, Alexandru.  And thanks for showling how you did the wheel and the problem you ran into.  How did you manage to slice off the wheel from the block without breaking it?  I've been wondering about such things.

Mark, 

As you can see the first try for the wheel was a failure exactly because of the slicing it off problem.

I fixed that in the second try, as you can see in the second picture below: I kept it in the square piece of wood from which it was cut instead of cutting the round off first (first picture). Being square allowed me to cut the back off easily with the band saw and without damaging the spokes. 

This is the way to go for the try 3 and 4 as I need two wheels and the second one has a different issue so I still can't use it: when I milled the radial notches for the spokes the piece moved slightly up on one side so the notches are not deep enough on one side so I won't be able to glue the ring that will cover them and keep them in place. This issue is visible in the second picture for the bottom two spokes - see red arrows.

Regards Alexandru

post-540-0-74909500-1443915815_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-09931800-1443916365_thumb.jpg

For all my builds please visit my site at: http://www.AlexShipModels.com

Previous builds

Just wondering....It appears as though the thickness could be removed with a horizontal belt sander as well, using a simple "depth jig" to prevent over sanding.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks for the feedback on how you did that, Alexandru. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, 

As you can see the first try for the wheel was a failure exactly because of the slicing it off problem.

I fixed that in the second try, as you can see in the second picture below: I kept it in the square piece of wood from which it was cut instead of cutting the round off first (first picture). Being square allowed me to cut the back off easily with the band saw and without damaging the spokes. 

This is the way to go for the try 3 and 4 as I need two wheels and the second one has a different issue so I still can't use it: when I milled the radial notches for the spokes the piece moved slightly up on one side so the notches are not deep enough on one side so I won't be able to glue the ring that will cover them and keep them in place. This issue is visible in the second picture for the bottom two spokes - see red arrows.

Regards Alexandru

G'day Alexandru

Great idea!! I will put that in my memory bank aswell. 

Havagoodone

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 2 weeks later...

A very impressive build Alexandru,

beautiful handcraft work all the way, love it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello,

Thank you for following my build and your comments.

Here is a bit of rework I have done this last week: the upper row of windows on the stern gallery was following an excessing curve. You can see it in the first picture and in the second picture is the new curve. The pictures are not quite from the same angle but the change is noticeable.

Interesting fact is that I noticed this first in the pictures than on the model after I posted them here. I think it happened to me before to see in the pictures I took things that are more difficult to spot on the model at first. After I was aware of it it became obvious on the model too.

Thank you,

Alexandru

post-540-0-24152400-1445723752_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-29268900-1445723753_thumb.jpg

Previous builds

Always such a personal pleasure to visit your work Alexandru. Each time I re-visit your amazing photo log I see something else that makes me go OMG!

It's like going back in time to witness the actual building of the original Vic from the keel up.

I salute you sir for your exquisite skills and steadfast dedication to the finest details.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Guraus

I don't know if these are of any help to you but I took them quite a few years ago and show the curve of the windows quite well, the quarterdeck has quite a big round up and the windows follow that I think

post-19982-0-90028200-1445768966_thumb.jpg

post-19982-0-00604700-1445768968_thumb.jpg

post-19982-0-13842900-1445768970_thumb.jpg

post-19982-0-47158800-1445768971_thumb.jpg

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I am not sure how you fixed it Alexandru but I agree: the deck camber looks a lot better after you re-touched it.

I did it the simple way: I removed the old pieces and I glued new ones instead following the new curve.

Previous builds

Hi Guraus

I don't know if these are of any help to you but I took them quite a few years ago and show the curve of the windows quite well, the quarterdeck has quite a big round up and the windows follow that I think

Thank you for the pictures, I do have a set from the visit I did several years ago to see it in Portsmouth. The only issue is that at that time, they were doing some kind of reparation on half of the stern gallery so I didn't have the chance to make pictures of the full ship back. Only parts of it.

The thing with the last picture you posted is that there is a double curvature: one in the vertical plane upward and one in the horizontal plane backward. And I think that makes it look a lot bigger that in reality. I was facing the same problem when I did it first time so I made a bigger camber. but if you look perfectly from the back you should only see the vertical curve of the windows. Additionally I am still missing the last window on each side, which will make the cuve longer thus looking more like in the picture.

Regards,

Alexandru

Previous builds

hi

sorry that's the only picture of the stern that I took, did you notice the boom on the side of the main channel, love your model fantastic work by the way!!!!!!

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guraus, just found your build log, very impressive. I intend to do a fully framed Victory and was wondering what plans your using for this build or did you draft your own plans. I have a set of John Mckay drawings and his "anatomy of the ship" book, plus Longridge's "the anatomy of Nelsons ships".

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I am using McKay's plans. I bought from hime about 20 plates at 1/48 scale from his Anatomy of the ship book.

Regards,

Alexandru

Previous builds

..... this is  all seriously very good work!!!!!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),