HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Danny,

What Druxey said.   Looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Danny just caught up with your log, after an absence, i just continually get the WOW factor from your work, thank you

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nice set up Danny, even if a little cosy. Very well organised too - puts my workshop to shame!

Looking forward to seeing the resumption of play with Vulture. :)

Thank you Druxey, Mark, Kevin, Brian, Geoff, Grant and Larry.

I wonder whether Danny is going into the workshop building business.

I know I've had plenty of practice at building workshops over the last few years Geoff, but NO :D .

I had a similar problem with my screen going dark every 30 seconds or so. It turned out to be the monitor.

It's not my screen going black that's the problem Larry. The actual Window shuts down and I have to click on it (anywhere) to re-open it so I can continue typing. For some reason it's working fine this morning - go figure. I'm still going to take the puta in for a cleanout later this week - I'm pretty sure I have some kind of annoying virus :( .

Looking forward to seeing the resumption of play with Vulture.

Just for you Grant ..... :D .

After marking the positions of the ledges on the head beam and knees I removed them and cut in the mortices :

Head Ledges 001.jpg

I then glued them back in permanently :

Head Ledges 001a.jpg

Head Timbers

Next up were some of the most difficult items to make in the whole ship - the Head Timbers. Getting the shape for these required a lot of measuring and card templates. Unfortunately I was without my camera for a while when I was building these, so I didn't get any pics of their actual shapes before I'd glued them in. Here are a couple of pics from above :

Head Ledges 002.jpg

Head Ledges 003.jpg

And some from below. The head timbers have a molded covering board on their outer edges. The Lower Rail has also been fitted :

Head Timbers 001.jpg

Head Timbers 002.jpg

Continued next post .....

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

.... continued.

Once the head timbers were all installed I could fit the rest of the ledges. Note the parallelogram shape of the carlings for the fore Seats of Ease. Apart from the aft ones which fan out the ledges are all parallel, even if they don't look like it (camera angle) - they have a slight roundup to match the head beam :

Head Ledges 004.jpg

Head Ledges 005.jpg

Saddle

Another thing that could now be finished off was the Saddle at the fore end of the main rails. First I cut a piece out oversize and finessed the under side to fit over the rails. This was then glued in place before final shaping :

Chock 001.jpg

Chock 002.jpg

The saddle after shaping :

Chock 003.jpg

Chock 004.jpg

Chock 005.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Danny,

Thanks for sharing this finicky portion of the model. I always learn so much from your posts.

I will be moving into a new home with a workshop that is more than twice as big as my current place. It

Will be 12 x20 feet with 10 foot ceilings. Any pointers? All I have now is keeping my sawdust producing

equipment ( saws, sanders, etc) from my finish and assembly area.

I also want to thank you for inspiring me to build a stand alone, adjustable height, tiltable work station

for my current build. Next build, I will add a gantry to the board.

Again, thank you kindly,

Bryan

Model(s) under construction: RATTLESNAKE. 1:48

Next on the launch : ECHO 1781 1:48

Danny the picture of the full model sitting on the workbench was a bit of a surprise, for some reason I had not equated the scale of your model with its actual size. Your photographs and the level of detail in many of the small items led me to thinking this was a much larger model. Then with the last pictures of the head timbers, I realized just how small and fiddly these parts are.

Hats off to you sir for some very fine modelwork.

Oh

and congratulations on the completion of the move.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the replies Ben, Bryan, Duff, David, Michael and John :) .

I will be moving into a new home with a workshop that is more than twice as big as my current place. It
Will be 12 x20 feet with 10 foot ceilings. Any pointers?

Plan your entire workshop before starting to build benches etc. A workshop of that size gives you a lot of scope to build a very good one :) .

Keep the "dirty" area away from your Assembly bench as much as possible. Use an extraction fan or vacuum system for the saw, sander etc.

A water supply and small sink is handy if you can incorporate one.

You will be able to put at least three good size benches in. Use one for the power tools, one for an assembly bench, and one for "nothing in particular" - on that one you can lay out your plans and any other temporary things.

The flooring should be something that is easily cleaned, and be a neutral color to make retrieving those bits that fly off the bench easy to spot. I suggest a greyish timber - I use "Floating Flooring" which is a faux timber copy of the real thing, but much cheaper than proper tongue-and-groove flooring. It will go over a concrete or chipboard floor with a suitable foam underlay. DON'T use carpet - EVERYTHING gets lost in it. Linoleum is OK but not as hard-wearing as timber.

Good lighting is essential. I suggest at least three fluorescent ceiling lights, perhaps dropped on chains to compensate for the high ceilings, and a few adjustable arm lights above your power tools and assembly bench to direct extra light where you need it.

Some guys like using natural light (windows) but I find it can be a pain if the sun is coming through a window and actually blinding me. I have pull-down blinds on those windows which can be so affected.

Cheers, Danny

False Rails

These are decorative boards which sit on top of the Main Rails. They give a little privacy to the aft Seats of Ease. The central portion of these are carved down :

False Rail 002.jpg

Aft Seats of Ease

I've also fitted the Aft Seats of Ease. These fit into the space between the false rail and the bow of the ship :

Aft Seats of Ease 001.jpg

Aft Seats of Ease 002.jpg

Continued in next post .....

Cheers, Danny

Cathead Supports

These are quite tricky to make. They curve around between the Main Rails and the Upper Cheek, finishing at the start of the Eking Rail (which comes next).

First I made a card template of the curve, and removed a section of the Sheer Rail and Waist Rail to accommodate them :

Cathead Support 002.jpg

To shape these I used a piece of over-thick stock into which I sanded the inner curve on the disc sander, finishing it off with a round sanding stick :

Cathead Support 003.jpg

Cathead Support 004.jpg

After much dry fitting and adjusting a molding was scraped into the outer face and a scarf joint for the eking rail was cut in. Then I glued the supports in :

Cathead Support 005.jpg

Cathead Support 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Nice work Danny, looking really good (especially for a set of heads ;))

cheers

pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Dan,

Incredible work and equally incredible that you take the time and a lot of effort to share the details.  

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

You are an artist Danny.  However I am not sure of those seats.  I could possibly get a splinter or two if the weather was a little rough. :D

David B

Thank you for the kind comments John, Brian, Dale, Pat, Ian, David and Cabrapente - always appreciated.

Eking Rail

The Eking Rail is an extension of the cathead support. It curves to match the hull, and cuts around the Hawse Holes :

Eking Rail 001.jpg

Eking Rail 002.jpg

Eking Rail 003.jpg

Eking Rail 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks again Geoff :) .

Cat Block for the Falls

The function of the Cat Block for the Falls is to lead the Cat Fall line (which is used to raise the anchor) to a horizontal plane. This enables numerous hands to haul the anchor up.

This is a Snatch Block - it has an open end, enabling the line to be fed on without the need to reeve it through the block.

I made these from English Box. A brass sheave is fitted to each. It took me the best part of a whole day to make the two of these :

Cat Block for the Falls 001.jpg

Cat Block for the Falls 002.jpg

Cat Block for the Falls 003.jpg

Cat Block for the Falls 004.jpg

Cat Block for the Falls 005.jpg

Cat Block for the Falls 007.jpg

Cat Block for the Falls 008.jpg

Cat Block for the Falls 009.jpg

Boomkin Capsquares

I've also cut the recesses for the Boomkins, and temporarily fitted the Capsquares. These are once again made from two leftover capsquares from the guns. They needed a little modification to fit around the 8" boomkin :

Boomkin Capsquare.jpg

The boomkins won't be fitted until a bit later in the build, as they will interfere with the Gammoning of the bowsprit.

Cheers, Danny

Lovely work, Danny.  You seem to be flying right along on the bow details.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow, really wonderful!

It's a pleasure to follow your log, Dan

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Beautiful detail work Danny.  I always enjoy my visits at your shipyard.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)