HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

I'll second that one....where could one get a pot like that?.....make it???

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

post-76-0-63229900-1389680779.gifpost-76-0-63229900-1389680779.gifpost-76-0-63229900-1389680779.gifpost-76-0-63229900-1389680779.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Really wonderful. I have to see, which kind of stove has my HMS Fly.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Christian, based on what I know probably a brick hearth or a Brody style stove, but not a real Brody stove.

Sure Gary, I'll start taking orders ;)

The pots are tubes turned on the lathe to give it a small rim, bottom and handles silver soldered. I made a smaller fish pot for the stove. Work began on the doors fitted to the sides of the stove, hinges and locking mechanism works, I think they look a bit heavy for a simple door, looks more like a safe door. Have to think about this .....

post-20-0-56537700-1396771648_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-57204500-1396771647_thumb.jpeg

Grant, remember the wicker basket...

post-20-0-45937300-1389821174_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Edited by Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco:

Just saw your build. Very beautiful. Your solution to the brick mortar was excellent. In fact, that is how you get mortar to stick to certain surfaces at 1:1 scale.

PVA (Polyvinyl acetate) is the active ingredient (polymer, resin, emulsion) in the glue,. It interacts with the cementitious mortar. You can buy it as a powder or a liquid in a DIY tile store although considering you used about a thimble full, I think the way you did it is the easiest.

Best

Jaxboat B)

Outstanding!! beautiful work. Viewing one can get a sense of all the work it took to build the real ships at that time.

I wonder just how many skilled and unskilled men (or women)to build a ship like that ?

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

I think they look a bit heavy for a simple door, looks more like a safe door. Have to think about this .....

They look just fine for Cast Iron doors Remco.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Grant, remember the wicker basket...

I most certainly do Remco, and this is even better, if that's possible!

smileys-applause-459840.gif smileys-applause-459840.gif smileys-applause-459840.gif

Outstanding, Remco.  I love the realistic brick colors and the pots are magnificent.  I assume you wil be putting a masonry base under it?  Does the deck framing provide additional fireplace carlings and pillars to take the load?

Ed

Seriously nice work Remco; a great looking stove.

Druxey; subtle :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks guys.

Ed, I will make a brick base underneath. My NMM plans don't show additional carlings or pillars so I'll leave the layout as it is.

Yes Sir Druxey, soot coming up, I had to make a little fire in the hearth to create this ;)

post-20-0-36163100-1396771736_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-37222400-1396771737_thumb.jpeg

All it needs now is a chimney to the upper deck and then I'll ask permission to call this challenge completed

Remco

Edited by Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Fantastic looking hearth Remco and also the pots.  Now also a few ladles and pokers and other utensils they may have used.  And while you are at it with making charts you may as well make a few oil lamps for the captain's cabin.  John Texxn5 better get on the ball and cook off some wale oil to sell you  ;)  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

A chart room.... lets's see. look now, Piet's getting carried away already ;)

First the chimney, I was looking through my books because these came in al sorts and shapes

post-20-0-90546500-1396771847_thumb.png

But fortunately TFFM hinted me to also check my NMM plans and guess what the chimney was drawn in so getting the shape right was easy peasy. (reminder look more on the NMM plans there is more on it than I had thought)

The pyramid shape was diver soldered from some scrap pieces, the funnel turned and tapered on the lathe. 

post-20-0-19763400-1390050458_thumb.jpeg

The floor was added in front of the stove. And here it is ready to be lit :) this was really a fun challenge to do, thank you Druxey for inspiring me to give it a try.

post-20-0-96496600-1390050458_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-50459900-1396771810_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Edited by Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Brilliant! When is the first sitting for the meal? And, yes, the NMM plans often show interesting details, if you look for them in the mass of lines. You are welcome, Remco!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Really brilliant, Remco. I love your stove

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali