HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

4 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Still my opinion they’re too small, the 8mm ones were a better fit for me on Cheerful. Builder’s choice😊

Perhaps indeed it's a matter of taste, but also be considered should be that sometimes a huge amount of muscle force was used to lower or raise the guns to aim...so little more robust would be my taste as well.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Hi Glenn. 

Still pondering the quoins. I've still got time as building these carriages takes a good bit of time.

Thanks everyone for stopping by and have a safe and Happy New Years. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

1 hour ago, Rustyj said:

Still pondering the quoins. I've still got time as building these carriages takes a good bit of time.

Me, too.  I did a google search for 18th century cannon quoin and found a pretty big range with respect to the knob (don’t know what it’s called) on the tail of the barrel.  Some of the handles were almost as big and others looked puny like our 6mm pins.  Like you, Rusty, I have plenty of carriages to build and barrels to weather while I ponder.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Yes I did the same and it was a very wide range. By the way it's referred to as a cascabel, button or knob.

At least that's according to my quoin google search cuz I had no idea. ;) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

10 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

...but also be considered should be that sometimes a huge amount of muscle force was used to lower or raise the guns to aim...so little more robust would be my taste as well.

I don't think the quoin would have been used to raise and lower the gun, rather it was moved into position after the fact..

I would go with what looks good..

image.png.6aa5d4c3aa48ce5a317a2b22dfe8b5d2.png

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I ended buying multiple sizes for Cheerful (of course it only has 14 guns so not that many to buy) I can tell you 15mm is way too big🤣. I thought between 8-11mm were good options just my opinion, no supporting research😊

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Whew 24 cannons and carriages completed! They are just set in place to see how they look. I now

have to add a whole bunch (96) split rings and eye bolts to the bulwarks and then fasten the carriages

to the deck. I have decided to follow Chuck and Mikes lead and not use any rigging.

DSC00490.thumb.JPG.6bded2c5c688e4985698aabaeea971fa.JPG

DSC00495.thumb.JPG.1ac2fe99b0ff7e69bac85d61a3560384.JPG

DSC00492.thumb.JPG.2d41bb8a1837235c35509ba8b0235170.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That looks grand!  Any secret process for getting those trucks so clean?  I’ll get there someday I hope. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

11 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Any secret process for getting those trucks so clean?

Nothing as nice as Gregory's idea. I just pinched them between my fingers and drew my sanding block across. I used 180 grit paper. I used a block or sanding stick instead of just sandpaper to avoid my rounding of the edges too much.

DSC00498.thumb.JPG.ac32a16f751b05a1570612eb843e3e59.JPG

First, I went across the truck rotating after each pass, draw it across, repeat for maybe two full circles.

DSC00496.thumb.JPG.da771c527eb53bb3a0a7e2b69f00c100.JPG

Then I went with the truck doing the same thing until it was clean enough. There was always a couple of spots that don't come perfectly clear but that's ok. I think it adds depth to it.

DSC00497.thumb.JPG.4c6e26d660f85cef367030ddc4f9d42b.JPG

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

The eyebolts on the deck look great, too!  I’m so nervous about getting those in the right spots on mine.

Thanks Matt. From the aft mast to the front of the forward hatch I made a straight line with pin striping tape. Aliened the eye bolts and drilled according to the plans. The bolts around the stove, forward mast and in the cabins were marked as close to the plans as I could get. Note that all the smaller rings and bolts alien with the center of the corresponding gunport. A good way to check your placement.

Thank you, Frank and Ben, and also for all the likes!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi All,

Well I've finally completed all the eye bolts and split rings!!!! They have all been added to the bulwarks except where the hanging knees go. That completes chapter 6 and on to chapter 7. Whew, :)

I have sanded the char off all the cherry quarter deck beams. Then cut them and temporarily set them in place. It feels good to cut and sand wood again!

DSC00516.thumb.JPG.03db5a1446dbe888464933b67fd6c070.JPG

DSC00514.thumb.JPG.68a691b6124f37ef78cc75e15ba1919b.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Kurt. They are just temporarily in place right now.  They will be taken in and out as the cabin panels and doors are fitted. Just before the beams are permanently placed the canon well be set.

Thanks for stopping by and for the likes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Quality work, bothe the beams and ring bolts. It’s the small things that make for a great model like yours. 

Regards,

Glenn

First off curiosity got the best of me so I printed the template for the bow cap rail. I was afraid to see if my curvature of the bow was correct. To my relief it was very close to the cap rail template. Whew. Those of you building now be sure to check when you fair the bow area.

DSC00499.thumb.JPG.f56670a9d48e79030fe4ae7004a8d665.JPG

After test fitting the deck beams I moved on to bulkhead wall for the great cabin. It consists of some very nice laser cut panels. They were sanded to fit and glued in place. Two cannon were added as well as the mast coat. Then the forward bulkhead wall was sanded to fit as well as the center panel between the two bulkheads. I will soon have to build the capstan. I've been looking forward to doing this for some time now!

DSC00523.thumb.JPG.d453ce915e666fbda0ce53f4f0a79d57.JPG

DSC00527.thumb.JPG.e145340613684c1a0f0d88857b9f22c7.JPG

DSC00529.thumb.JPG.43d12d3de83739560bfdc5cca74d6b1d.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Well done Rusty, especially when you consider how many variables are involved by the time you get to this area of the ship. That you are so close to spec is a tribute to both your building skills and Chuck's excellent design.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

That looks excellent Rusty! Your Winnie has such a warm inviting tone with the pear! I can’t wait to rejoin the party!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

16 hours ago, dvm27 said:

That you are so close to spec is a tribute to both your building skills and Chuck's excellent design

Thanks Greg. Thrust me it is much more to Chucks design and instructions!

6 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Your Winnie has such a warm inviting tone with the pear!

Thanks JJ. I have nice models in AYC and Boxwood so I wanted to try something different and I am pleased with the look. Can't wait to see you back at it too!

Also thanks for stopping by and all for all the likes!  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I spent the last three days completing the capstan. It was a lot of fun! Now back to the beams and knees!

DSC00535.thumb.JPG.12c01119fe2f4febbc84e47f39326db5.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you Chuck and B.E. It's all due to the quality of the design, instructions and parts that make it possible. 

Also thanks for all the likes! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

As I was working along I notice an error I had made. I painted some of the beams circled below which were in the outer cabin and I shouldn't have. So I removed the paint so they were unfinished like the captains cabin.

I then moved along adding more beams and knees. Also I added the stanchions and railings around the companionway. A word of warning. If you drop one of the stanchions down the companionway you can tip the model over and shake all you want but it isn't going to come out! The lower capstan and pawls have also been added.

DSC005291.thumb.png.56b3b2f3093feb2ee79a0a9c851fb38a.png

DSC00537.thumb.JPG.43dec52d80c03cb5be04caa24f54b376.JPG

DSC00536.thumb.JPG.ebc31bb038f3ab0e5d7a76c9741050ad.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Great work Rusty, it’s always worth the effort to correct an error..  

Guess your Winnie will be carrying cargo from here on…miscellaneous ship parts. 🤣

Regards,

Glenn

11 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Guess your Winnie will be carrying cargo from here on…miscellaneous ship parts

Yep! When they break a railing stanchion they can just go into the hold and retrieve it. 

Also thank you everyone for stopping by and all the likes. Much appreciated.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I spent the weekend completing the main jeer bits and the gallows as well as the chain pumps.

They are just set in place for the picture. I have also fit all the beams but removed the last

two as adjustments and alignments will follow. The shop LED lights washed out the color

but it is the same red ochre as used on the bulwarks. Next it will be aligning the pump crank 

handles and permanently placing the jeer bits, gallows, chain pumps and columns.  

DSC00546a.thumb.jpg.267d5c7d6e63f166e62a0541e1f7fc89.jpg

DSC00544a.thumb.jpg.f625b579fb8b6eda07632a3ccb641818.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)