HMS Vanguard by marktiedens - Model Shipways - scale 1:72

Hi everyone - this will be my build of the Vanguard by Model Shipways.  This kit was made by Model Shipways for a short time under license from Amati.  Included in the kit are 20 plan sheets,27 laser cut wood sheets of various woods,11 sheets of etched brass,along with all the usual fittings,plus a lot of cast metal items.  All the rigging line is on Mantua spools & looks to be of decent quality,although I may replace some of it with Syren rope depending on the application. The rigging blocks look to be above average quality,but I will still probably use Syren blocks.  Copper tape is provided for coppering the hull rather than individual copper plates. Also,all the guns are cast metal instead of turned brass. As I understand,the Amati version has the gun carriages made of metal but my kit provides wood carriages. There is a LOT of strip wood plus a large handful of walnut dowels. This appears to be a high quality kit & should be fun to build!

A few pics of the contents.......

DSCF0001.JPG.d77c659e844b6feff9d0a53109ac64a9.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.e4f9ece9b8a4687eb8652050cc4c45fe.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.e382c2c68dbcabf2e9152b95a3466428.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.ff71b99651f1b61d9efc846c324be789.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG.a868b38ec35da61ac053cb9f98091e07.JPG

Mark 

P.S. - please let me know if the link below works........took me about 6 tries

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Seems to be an interesting kit, I even didn't know that the Vanguard was produced by Model shipways.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Hi Mark

That's a very interesting build. I notice, that the kit is produced under Amati's licence with some changes. I'll be most interested to hear how the new guns look, the Amati gun carriages being a major weak point in their kit. I really like the Amati copper plates and hope you'll get an equally satisfying result with that tape.

Question: Are the Bellerophon and Elephant variants also included?

Enjoy your build!

Peter

Welcome aboard everyone!  

David - since I have already done the Caldercraft Victory & Agamemnon I am familiar with the design concepts of Chris Watton,so I hope to do it justice.

Udo - it was only made by Model Shipways for a short time. They stopped making it when Model Shipways & Amati parted ways for reasons unknown to me.

Peter - I haven`t looked closely at the guns yet,so that remains to be seen. As far as the copper tape goes,I will experiment with it to see how it looks applied to something. If I`m not happy with it I have a package of 3000 copper plates from jotika that I can use.  The Bellerophon & Elephant versions are not included - only Vanguard.

Mark

I have used the copper tape on two models now, it worked beautifully for me.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Phil - my greatest concern is how well the self adhesive copper tape holds over time - I would hate to have to re-do it after all the masts & rigging is done.  I have coppered 4 ships so far with individual plates & haven`t had a single plate fall off.

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Mark. You're a machine! Back in the saddle so soon. Well, good on ya. Doing something you're passionate about and obviously something you are very gifted at. Enjoy your new project and I will sign up for more updates. I love this kit and know you'll do it justice.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

3 hours ago, marktiedens said:

Phil - my greatest concern is how well the self adhesive copper tape holds over time - I would hate to have to re-do it after all the masts & rigging is done.  I have coppered 4 ships so far with individual plates & haven`t had a single plate fall off.

Mark

Mark,

I have a build that is 22 years old that was done with the copper tape. Not even a hint of anything lifting. Hopefully this is reassuring...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

hi mark,

i used adhesive cooper tape my mamoli connie which i completed about 10 years ago and it worked out  fine. i first coated a portion of hull with contact cement and after a few minutes applied the tape - which i cut into individual plates before hand - and all was well.

hope this helps,

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Peter - I`ve actually been just sitting around for a couple of weeks & was getting bored,so off I go again.  I was going to build an old Aeropiccola kit of the Essex,but the Vanguard kept calling to me from the closet:P.

Joe & Mort - thanks for the vote of confidence:).

Frank - Yes,a fairly quick turnaround. There`s no admiral here,so I get bored pretty quickly:blink:.

Mark

Starting work on the ship,I first glued the 2 halves of the bulkhead former together & glued the stem & keel in place.  Next,all the bulkheads were removed from the plywood sheets & test fitted along with the lowest gun deck,which serves as a good stiffener.  Everything is dry fitted for now to see how everything lines up.  Everything fit together nicely with only a few swipes with a file in a few spots.  Sighting down the sides,I don`t see any bumps or dips in the edges of the bulkheads,which is a first for me!  I must say the laser cutting seems to be spot on everywhere & even the edges are only a light brown,instead of burned black - I am very impressed with the kit so far:D.

DSCF0001.JPG.3be9c12f6813e2341d563c3ff984feaf.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.c6b03e228a23252dc50e2d988dfce7c0.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.bec68879c8cde3020979f8aa04dbcbcb.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.e86ead00d164063d6d0e210a7516fb4a.JPG

1945043048_DSCF0001(2).JPG.a4f5ca2ca0809c58d66f855d2be4803a.JPG

Mark

All bulkheads are now glued in place,the dummy barrel strips were slid into the slots in the bulkheads & painted black,& the stern counter patterns added.  I also made some bow filler blocks from balsa & glued them in place along with the bow deck pieces.  The instructions say to plank the bow deck & build the beakhead bulkhead now,but I think I will wait until I see how the gunport patterns line up.

DSCF0001.JPG.c49e1f1394c33626500e7258ca881297.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.9c69a011b09fab3e448094d55029ce5c.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.fc01a005679dffa7022f0306fa290108.JPG

Mark

It is better not to believe the kit than to believe. Better to measure three times!! I keep my fingers crossed for the result!!:) Ondras

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en

On 9/26/2019 at 8:20 PM, marktiedens said:

Hi everyone - this will be my build of the Vanguard by Model Shipways.  This kit was made by Model Shipways for a short time under license from Amati.  Included in the kit are 20 plan sheets,27 laser cut wood sheets of various woods,11 sheets of etched brass,along with all the usual fittings,plus a lot of cast metal items.  All the rigging line is on Mantua spools & looks to be of decent quality,although I may replace some of it with Syren rope depending on the application. The rigging blocks look to be above average quality,but I will still probably use Syren blocks.  Copper tape is provided for coppering the hull rather than individual copper plates. Also,all the guns are cast metal instead of turned brass. As I understand,the Amati version has the gun carriages made of metal but my kit provides wood carriages. There is a LOT of strip wood plus a large handful of walnut dowels. This appears to be a high quality kit & should be fun to build!

Hi Mark, will be watching your build and see how you tackle her, have the Amati Vanguard and as you say they have metal gun carriages, wonder why they did that, but they do have the copper plates in individual.

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

Thanks guys:).  On to the upper gun deck.  The deck is provided in 2 pieces - a front & rear half.  I cut both halves down the middle in order to ease installation & they fit almost perfectly.so they were glued in place.  The written instructions say to plank this deck with tanganyka strips,so I looked through all the wood strips & couldn`t find them:wacko:.  I finally realized that the deck planking strips are provided as basswood. I have some tanganyka strips in my stash.but not nearly enough so I will go ahead & use the basswood from the kit.

I also lined off the deck for a four plank shift using 100mm long planks.

615157953_Vanguarduppergundeck.JPG.c2ba6c57d40e4c8eba3e4836f8f9c9dc.JPG

379299603_Vanguarduppergundeck(2).JPG.648ef6f8f887aeaf837a7e8a19c2d632.JPG

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. The gun deck is now planked & false treenails added.  I did the false treenails by just giving a small twist with a #77 drill bit - just enough to break the surface. A coat of poly then makes them visible,but not too overdone. I only did the treenailing to the part of the deck that will be visible. Also the edges of the planks were darkened with a #2 pencil before glueing down.

DSCF0001.JPG.09bb09973aff60ee49b59cf03857ec1b.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.7d2302dc45afbd8b6fd36533b5689fbd.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.0dc895d8b115c352f363e2f3160d1d20.JPG

Mark

A little progress - the inner bulwarks were planked & painted red.  I pre-painted the lowest plank before glueing in place so I didn`t have to mask anything off.  Next will be the fittings for this deck - they need to be done before fixing the upper decks in place.  The ship`s stove should be interesting - it is provided in etched brass!

859855931_gundeckbulwark1.JPG.f0749d4e3fe6e489b21b7fec2ac1a947.JPG

391910443_gundeckbulwark2.JPG.6871128de5247fe433fe247909c70e4f.JPG

1293732589_gundeckbulwark3.JPG.0a6dec5e8e8f2f95cd0d34520d70a2fc.JPG

Mark

Hi Mark

Great work.

Just a small hint although I might be a bit late: Parts of the lower gun deck will be visible from above where in the waist the two open companionways will lead from the partly visible upper deck down to the gun deck. I would recommend to put in some small planked false deck parts of the gun deck (I mean the one with the dummy guns) as long as there still is some limited access.

I forgot it on my Bellerophon and had to do some keyhole surgery to put the planks in place.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter - I see what you mean.  I think I can add some planks down below without too much trouble.  I don`t always think far enough ahead:wacko:.  Thanks for the tip:D.  I am always open to advice or suggestions.

Mark

Mark,

Yes indeed, as Frank said, quick turnaround. Great choice. I know nothing about Model Shipways product quality - so it will be fun to follow for that as well.

Good luck! Bringing my chair as well

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Michael.  The quality seems quite good so far - the laser cutting is spot on with all the parts fitting together nicely. There are a few trade-offs such as the deck planking is basswood instead of the tanganyika called for in the instructions & copper tape instead of plates for the hull.  On the other hand,wood gun carriages are provided instead of the metal ones in the Amati kit.  The changes from the Amati kit are probably why this kit was much lower priced.  I have a long way to go & am very pleased with the kit so far.  By the way,I hope everyone in CA. can stay safe with all the wildfires that have popped up again.

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Decking and Bulwarks look very good Mark

Like the way you have shown very light tree nails took a couple of pictures of the deck on HMS Victory and as you will see it is very hard to see

LRaviP.jpg

pic taken close up

iMGZ4e.jpg

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

Thanks Richard - I like to show them,but also try to make them as unobtrusive as possible.  They are almost invisible at arm`s length.  I`m not that crazy about the color of the planks - looks more like fresh cut wood than a  deck that has been out in the weather for a while & turned more gray.

Mark