HMS Enterprise by Kevin - CAF - 1/48 - August 2020

day 4 keel assy

good evening everyone

where do i start

all the keel pieces have been glued and have set

i have tracing paper over the plans held in position

but i now need to make it all fit,

do i make up the false keel as per the plans, mark it off and build upwards, i presume like a real vessel,

Everything is over sized lengthways by about 1mm, i presume i hand sand it down to remove the burn and slight angle from laser cutting, 

yes im concerned i am going to mess it up

IMG_7551.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

"WOW"  mate  this  is looking to be a Superb  build   - so love  seeing a proper scale replica  come together, something special  watching  frames  fitted and a hull  come togther like the  ship builder used to build them.

Following with kean interest.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

31 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Everything is over sized by about 1mm, i presume i hand sand it down to remove the burn and slight angle from laser cutting, 

That is strange. I would get in touch with CAF and ask them.

Could it be the plan which is a tad too small?

Will the frames fit if you sand everything down by 1 mm?

How does it fit into your building stand?

This seems like a lot of sanding to me....

Yves

27 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

That is strange. I would get in touch with CAF and ask them.

Could it be the plan which is a tad too small?

Will the frames fit if you sand everything down by 1 mm?

How does it fit into your building stand?

This seems like a lot of sanding to me....

Yves

i believe this is the way on purpose, i should ne more precise in my statement, everything is about 1mm to long, sorry for the confusion, i will change what i wrote

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

34 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

"WOW"  mate  this  is looking to be a Superb  build   - so love  seeing a proper scale replica  come together, something special  watching  frames  fitted and a hull  come togther like the  ship builder used to build them.

Following with kean interest.

OC.

Thank you OC

very different to any thing i have done before, but very enjoyable, how ever it will be very hard to hide mistakes, and i keep changing my mind about how to do things, bit like the chicken or the egg, are you and family well? 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Thank you OC

very different to any thing i have done before, but very enjoyable, how ever it will be very hard to hide mistakes, and i keep changing my mind about how to do things, bit like the chicken or the egg, are you and family well? 

Yep were ok,  I am sure you will  make a Superb project out of this  - combining all your different  build skills  - they say we  all improve  in every new project we take on - learning bits from previous.

Really looking forward to it my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

day 4 keel assy

well i made a start, all the ummm;s went out the window, and well two pieces have become one  and lots more looking like they will fit ok, sanding by hand is not working for me as it is rounding off the edges so i will use the desk sander tomorrow in the garage

IMG_7553.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

day 5 keel and a frame 16

well after a slow start, i am getting a bit more confidence now, i have made a few mistakes, and as a result the gaps look wider than they are due to sanding with paper and not the bench sander as a result the edges are rounded off, but surprisingly it is all very tight and square

IMG_7571.thumb.JPG.5261644c3134fe05d2df66db2ee6d394.JPGIMG_7572.thumb.JPG.e5dad2e3931e44a7bfff26ada7f642e8.JPGIMG_7573.thumb.JPG.f77c73af7bf2c7b332c5eb67e558fca4.JPGIMG_7570.thumb.JPG.f8c9a52fd89a92f0507271aac72e75b2.JPGIMG_7571.thumb.JPG.9d1d66409d82091dba8dbc1f2db85a4b.JPG

i looked through the wooden bulkhead sheets and picked number 16 at random

looking through the drawings i identified all frame 16 parts, as they possibly have a couple of bits from the previous frame (15) and possibly from the next(frame 17) and marked with item number

IMG_7556.thumb.JPG.7e3a9bb648d56d3a1ac21469a2bdae85.JPG

all mating surfaces went against the bench grinder

Parts A and B were separated

IMG_7557.thumb.JPG.aee011d47463e14c677e32b2d36d9911.JPG

found the corresponding paper plan, tracing paper laid on top and secured

IMG_7558.thumb.JPG.5e53e263c041368d46aa28919b0df93c.JPG

all B items were turned upside down, 

in this case item B4 was secured to the tracing paper with UHU glue stick, the rest of B items had wood glue added to mating edegs and again had UHU added to keep them in position 

IMG_7559.thumb.JPG.5e8bfedef028761556e46d91c2947b72.JPG

IMG_7560.thumb.JPG.d03fe474d4cb9233310fcf8bf34892e6.JPG

then all A items were laid on top in a overlap

IMG_7561.thumb.JPG.f91aeca9582aa22b2e47c9ae3651a1d3.JPGIMG_7562.thumb.JPG.cb9a0bbab1604b9357f5f1c8e9fd1682.JPG

weighted for a couple of hours

IMG_7575.thumb.JPG.bdecef02a367f2dcec6fca390df8052a.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

You should add some Marines to your build  28mm  British marines would look superb when painted😉

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

You should add some Marines to your build  28mm  British marines would look superb when painted😉

OC.

lol i will build it, and they will come (or words to that effect)

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

1 hour ago, ASAT said:

Kevin, looks challenging - the jig looks absolutely huge on that padded bench seat, what are the dimensions of the finished hull?

Morning ASAT

its fun though, no longer will i be able to moan about not being right, if it wrong, its got to be me

https://www.cafmodel.com/hms-enterprise-1774-p0034.html

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

thank you for comments and likes

Day 6 keel and frames

i have a little routine going on now

all the frame parts have been identified and bagged

IMG_7579.thumb.JPG.1d0da5c8dd01b462f2d597d11ffa8d54.JPG

IMG_7580.thumb.JPG.2eb55274674f5744c29966b75d7b41c9.JPG

doing a few at a time they have been removed from the frets and the ends have met the bench sander

as required the required plan is found and frame built up

so far 6 have been completed

the top two in the photo are going back uder the weights as they are just out for the photo

IMG_7578.thumb.JPG.6440a2ce12ec165de2bf513c9ea69932.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I've just now found and wandered into the shop....   The jig alone is a project.   Looks like everything is going well, from here.   I'll get a seat for this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I've just now found and wandered into the shop....   The jig alone is a project.   Looks like everything is going well, from here.   I'll get a seat for this.

"Cough cough  - and the popcorn"😉

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

not many seats available, in fact there are two and one of them is for me, I never expected anyone to follow, its free popcorn, coffee and bar over in the corner

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

wondered where you were mark, your welcome

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

7 hours ago, clearway said:

<<<<<pops head round door takes one look, shakes head and books you in for some serious therapy🤣

can you make it for 5 weeks on Friday, i will have most of the frames done by then 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

12 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Thank goodness you’re here Mark - I’ve been waiting for you to arrive and open the bar! I’m over in the corner with Sjors and the popcorn machine.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:33 AM, Tankerman said:

Kevin, I am a few stages ahead of you on the construction of this kit and have been hoping to find time to start a build log here soon. I am sorry to read that you are having problems with the building jig as I found that once I had sorted out what goes where from the instruction illustrations all went together as intended. The tabs and slots are a tight fit and work with a file is required to remove the char but as the jig will form the basis for an accurate hull nothing can be loose.

I have studied your photos carefully and cannot see how things went wrong, the photo below shows my jig in the same area.

IMG_0309.thumb.jpeg.a05bf8ca5d2f2a9e892bc7a5cf50d7d4.jpeg

I can assure you that you should not have any problems with the fit of parts as your construction of HMS Enterprize progresses. It is a superb kit but just requires a lot of concentration and pre-planning so do not be dis-heartened, you will enjoy it.

I see you too, are in Somerset. PM me sometime and we could probably manage a "socially distanced" meet up.

Chris

chris wrt the bevels on the futtocks, are the frames made up the same way as those without the bevels or are they offset?

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin, I believe when it's time to fair you will see that the fore edges of the fore cants and frames will disappear while the aft edges will require little if any sanding. The same will hold true with the aft cants and frames except in reverse. The mid frames should require little if any fairing. If the kit has the actual bevel lines etched on I would strongly suggest you leave them on the full side until fairing. One over-bevelled frame can distort each frame around it.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thank you Greg, which of coarse makes sense, what does not is why put them on there

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

13 hours ago, Kevin said:

chris wrt the bevels on the futtocks, are the frames made up the same way as those without the bevels or are they offset?

Kevin, the frames where bevels are marked were built with futtocks placed squarely on top of each other. You already have it correct by placing the B futtocks face down on the template, add the A futtocks on top and when you lift the assembled frame from the template you have the bevel marks visible on both sides. I use the Proxxon Micromot power drill with sanding drums to form the bevels and stop just short of the engraving marks. When you finally remove the hull from the jig there is only minimal sanding then required to fair up all the frames.

Going up to Bahrain on the Caltex Cannonball

good evening everyone

Day 8 keel and frames

thank you for the comments and likes, very much appreciate,

well the bar was open today and everyone was very good at social distancing, wel to be honest no one turned up so me and dobs hit the popcorn

IMG_7380.thumb.JPG.38d92cf1b08b1507b4159ea8fe4a63b0.JPG

im think i have made a mistake, but cannot find one, , im not 100% sure of myself to have got it right first time

15 frames are made up, of which two are under weights, also the keel was extended today

in the photo the frames are just resting on the keel

IMG_7588.JPG

IMG_7597.JPG

IMG_7596.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Looking good, and what a great idea the frames being pre beveled  - very very clever.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking good, and what a great idea the frames being pre beveled  - very very clever.

OC.

OC the frames have laser markings where the Bevel should be, (photo shows it quite well), the frames are all made the same regardless if they are double, triple or quads

IMG_7594.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

7 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Kevin,

You wish you had a "James H." ahead of you, with his wonderful pictures and instructions. It looks right from our perspective.

Yves

agreed, i dont have the space for the decent camera shots, I will try to do better though)

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished