HMS Enterprise by Kevin - CAF - 1/48 - August 2020

Good day; I was checking out the enterprise on the CAF website and they have list "specifications A" and "specifications B" for prices on the Enterprise. Could someone tell me what is the difference? Are then installments of the kit or different wood that is being used? Just curious on what is the cost and what it involves.

Thanks ahead for any information,

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mike, from my understanding the level differences of the kit is the consistency of the color/grain  matching of the wood  used in the billets? Tankerman posted this in the Review of this kit when the same question was asked....

The specifications of HMS enterprise are B and C

B. C material: cherry and maple

B. CWood carving: Boxwood

B. CMetal parts: Brass

B: window: Bovine bone

😄 window:Boxwood

B has less wood color difference

C is in stock, B needs to book (I need to select timber) the estimated processing time is 3-4 weeks

I hope this helps,

Chris

I think the above should read: B. and C. material: etc, etc,  so they are the same except for transom lights material and wood color and grain... I think...   Lou

good evening Mike

Tom can deliver the kit in 3 separate packages, you will also have freight and import duties on top

set 1 Keel and rib 350$

set 2 Decks and guns 300$

set 3 Carving and other accessories  348$

sending a PM to cafmodel will get their attention, but it is a national holiday at present

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

The ribbands would be temp while the hull was constructed, normally 4x4" full size timbers and they would run along the line of the floor/futtock joints ( where each of the frames was chock jointed to the next piece ).

1 hour ago, Trussben said:

The ribbands would be temp while the hull was constructed, normally 4x4" full size timbers and they would run along the line of the floor/futtock joints ( where each of the frames was chock jointed to the next piece ).

Thank you, i am at present leaving them off as i am putting in extra deck beam supports, as i plan some extra internal detailing

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Wow, catching up from the very start, so glad you are creating a build log, you look to be making pretty speedy progress.  This looks like an awesome kit and you're doing such a wonderful job.  Looking forward to more....I want this one day 🙂  

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

3 hours ago, ASAT said:

Hi Mike, from my understanding the level differences of the kit is the consistency of the color/grain  matching of the wood  used in the billets? Tankerman posted this in the Review of this kit when the same question was asked....

The specifications of HMS enterprise are B and C

B. C material: cherry and maple

B. CWood carving: Boxwood

B. CMetal parts: Brass

B: window: Bovine bone

😄 window:Boxwood

B has less wood color difference

C is in stock, B needs to book (I need to select timber) the estimated processing time is 3-4 weeks

I hope this helps,

Chris

I think the above should read: B. and C. material: etc, etc,  so they are the same except for transom lights material and wood color and grain... I think...   Lou

Chris: Thanks! the website for CAF isnt a big help in a description but I had a sneaking suspicion it was different types of wood that determined the 2 different packages. Im just window shopping at this point. Still have to finish the Agamemnon and also have the Winchelsea in the hopper as well. 

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

good evening Mike

Tom can deliver the kit in 3 separate packages, you will also have freight and import duties on top

set 1 Keel and rib 350$

set 2 Decks and guns 300$

set 3 Carving and other accessories  348$

sending a PM to cafmodel will get their attention, but it is a national holiday at present

Kevin: That is something I may want to consider. Good to know I have options. Was there any problems in shipping or did you get everything in a reasonable time frame? 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

11 minutes ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Kevin: That is something I may want to consider. Good to know I have options. Was there any problems in shipping or did you get everything in a reasonable time frame? 

Mike Draper

@cafmodel are excellent to deal with, from ordering and payment through Paypal its about 10 days to the UK, Shipping is pricey due to covid limited carriers at present they are using TNT/Fedex, 

I ordered part 1 including Jig 7.5KGS shipping was another $72 and about $50 for customs

parts 2 and 3 are here as well now so about the same again, i believe next time i will bite the bullet get the lot to cut the cost down

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

33 minutes ago, Beef Wellington said:

Wow, catching up from the very start, so glad you are creating a build log, you look to be making pretty speedy progress.  This looks like an awesome kit and you're doing such a wonderful job.  Looking forward to more....I want this one day 🙂  

welcome Jason

This is for me the ultimate build, possibly the last big scale i will ever be able to afford  do, so i am not going to worry so much about it, and just do it,

intentions are for internal decks, masting and sails, in a 3 to 4 year time scale, its a great kit, and fun at the same time, as its all the elements i have dealt with in the past and now i get to understand how and why they are made like that

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

20 hours ago, Kevin said:

@cafmodel are excellent to deal with, from ordering and payment through Paypal its about 10 days to the UK, Shipping is pricey due to covid limited carriers at present they are using TNT/Fedex, 

I ordered part 1 including Jig 7.5KGS shipping was another $72 and about $50 for customs

parts 2 and 3 are here as well now so about the same again, i believe next time i will bite the bullet get the lot to cut the cost down

Kevin: thanks. its the best way to contact them through their website email? or are they a member of MSW?

Mike 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

17 minutes ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Kevin: thanks. its the best way to contact them through their website email? or are they a member of MSW?

Mike 

PM them here on MSW @cafmodel

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

there are two things in life i dread to hear

1. i want a divorce

2 the back end of your Enterprise is wrong

im sure there 100's of others

lol im still married so that leaves number 2

basicly i screwed up on the last pair of cants, which i ignored, then tried to make it look right with the transom, and then it bit me when the deck supports went in,

so i have been sorting it out the last few days, 

this all came to pass when i showed  @cafmodel

anyway, i will be putting the deck beams back in tomorrow and try to make some progress

the camera angle does not help but the port side was 5mm out

IMG_7854.thumb.JPG.02d923896c59bae90b8a74442321f2ab.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone

Day 40 correction of transom, main deck and lower deck support beams

well i sorted the wrong bits out, and now everything is the same height (lol it may all be wrong, but the same wrong all over)

IMG_7924.thumb.JPG.42e2b6b327446ac5afc78ec6d7a4acfd.JPG

the main deck support is now right, i fully removed it to enable removal of cant 57, this allowed me to redo the lower deck support 

IMG_7927.thumb.JPG.34c6c684e41d6b42778b415e8760df86.JPG

the 1/4 deck still needs to be adjusted but its ideal for keeping the after frames lined up

at present i am playing about with the 1/2 decks, but at the same time sorting the (limber boards) either side of the keel inside the hold

IMG_7933.thumb.JPG.62b7a937ce07cf42bcf9c04f428e5c1f.JPG

IMG_7934.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin, are you adding an additional lower deck to this model? She’s looking really nice.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

7 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Hi Kevin, are you adding an additional lower deck to this model? She’s looking really nice.

JJ

im adding the full lower deck and the two 1/2 decks, just like @iosto did, but just using the Pandora book and his photos (should be a fun watch lol)

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Very interesting, I’m watching with much interest, considering building this next.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

11 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Very interesting, I’m watching with much interest, considering building this next.

JJ

come and build mine, im out of my comfort zone

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Thats a good recovery mate  - I did have to look a few times to see the  hick up.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Kevin, shall I PM you a mailing address?😂

your build looks great so far, leaving the comfort zone is good.

8 hours ago, James H said:

She's looking great. 

I've never had to fair the inside of a hull before, so let me know how that goes.

James, I found that some 1.9lb EPP foam (like computer, electronics shipping protection) the really stiff stuff works a treat as a sanding block - easily shaped with a serrated knife, and provides enough stiffness but still conforms to a concave, curved shape.   Depending on what part of the hull you are fairing, you need various shaped blocks.....  I have also wanted to try these  https://woodworker.com/soft-contour-hand-sanders-mssu-150-362.asp?GF=150-362

13 minutes ago, ASAT said:

James, I found that some 1.9lb EPP foam (like computer, electronics shipping protection) the really stiff stuff works a treat as a sanding block - easily shaped with a serrated knife, and provides enough stiffness but still conforms to a concave, curved shape.   Depending on what part of the hull you are fairing, you need various shaped blocks.....  I have also wanted to try these  https://woodworker.com/soft-contour-hand-sanders-mssu-150-362.asp?GF=150-362

I was thinking about a very thin and narrow piece of ply, maybe about 4 inches long, and wrapped in abrasive paper. Anything with varying densities could mean than they'll not act as a bulwark against any internal irregularities. 

Yeah, I have made several shapes of sanders from wood also, but I found that as you move to the fwd cants and even the stern its hard to keep your block across two or three frames at a time, unless you make lots of different radiused blocks- the foam will conform and I find its easier to control the amount of material removed - YMMV...

On 10/14/2020 at 7:12 AM, James H said:

She's looking great. 

I've never had to fair the inside of a hull before, so let me know how that goes.

sanding has been minimal, and most of that was done with a mouse sander, any thing else has been with sandpaper wrapped around parts of the framing jig, as the parts are at right angles its a very handy sanding tool

IMG_7479.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

Day 41 limber boards

i think about half will be hidden under the half decks, and the other half might be under cargo, so yep maybe a waste od time, for enjoyment i give myself 10/10, quality of my work 2/10 

for those unknowing this is the lowest part of the vessel and where water collects and access is allowed to pump or bale 

Limb cut-.jpg

IMG_7947.JPG

IMG_7949.JPG

IMG_7950.JPG

IMG_7951.JPG

IMG_7952.JPG

IMG_7953.JPG

IMG_7955.JPG

IMG_7956.JPG

IMG_7957.JPG

IMG_7958.JPG

IMG_7960.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone

thank you for likes and comments

day 43 internal planking port side upto lower deck support

still has to be filled and sanded, then treenailed 

IMG_7967.JPG

IMG_7966.JPG

IMG_7965.JPG

IMG_7964.JPG

IMG_7963.JPG

IMG_7968.JPG

IMG_7969.JPG

IMG_7970.JPG

IMG_7971.JPG

IMG_7972.JPG

IMG_7973.JPG

IMG_7974.JPG

IMG_7975.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

Day 44 treenailing inner planks

still very much work in progress, but if it dont look right, im prepared to rip it all out again, a lot of sanding still required

IMG_7977.thumb.JPG.487eff13e3fbdab460ea147dd136d879.JPGIMG_7978.thumb.JPG.b5fdd4ca85c916d3d6cd7e439751037a.JPGIMG_7981.thumb.JPG.810ee30f87924e1e0ddc7ed3e37f0d7b.JPGIMG_7982.thumb.JPG.2060b6a87f644b2d7115b6d6b7037d2a.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished