HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

we're in a valley at 2,000 feet with normally low humidity. 

Regarding the warpage, how recently was the wood purchased and where did it come from (was it in a sealed bag that you just opened before install)?  If the wood had a higher moisture content when you got it and then it dried out in your low humidity, that could potentially cause the warpage.   Guessing like everyone else!

Mark, I have no idea why sometimes wood/plywood just decides all on it's own to develop a wriggle. It seems to be more common in thinner pieces. See my Mediator log for my own version of this aggravation. 

However, i have seen wood develop dark spots after bits of swarf from filling ferrous metals was allowed to rest on the surface long enough to begin oxidizing. After the process began it continued despite the rusting iron having been removed. Hope this isn't the problem because as far as I know there is no cure. 

I like what you are doing, will keep watching. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thanks for the comments and advice.   As I've said, this is a test and a re-learning project.  So far, I think I"m doing ok inspite of things.  I probably should move up to 1:48 if for no other reason than the parts are larger.  

All "damage" is repairable.  I removed the deck planking and good look at things.  The beams don't need replacing but do need re-setting.  Somewhere in all this, a couple came loose, probably while I was gluing the deck into position.  I'll dig out the isopropyl and fresh glue and reset the loose ones then probably run my small belt sander at very low speed or do it by hand to ensure all is proper.  I think, at this point, the only thing I'll have to remake or buy is a new rear deck.  But, I want to get the beams in order first.

3 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

Weather is weird everywhere now. Very odd here in recent years.

I was wondering whether your workshop might be in the basement or somewhere that the ventilation might have been compromised? r tumble drier hose failure? A slow leak in a water pipe? Ground water? I'm running out of ideas, sorry.

Thanks E.Z.  No basement in my apartment.  It's a strange set up.  First floor are one bedrooms.  Above them are the two bedroom ones with the bedrooms up top.   Dry hose is secure. 

2 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Regarding the warpage, how recently was the wood purchased and where did it come from (was it in a sealed bag that you just opened before install)?  If the wood had a higher moisture content when you got it and then it dried out in your low humidity, that could potentially cause the warpage.   Guessing like everyone else!

Thanks Glen.  The wood came with the kit.  It could be the drying since it came from England.  Weird (?) funny (?) that the only warped wood is the maple.

1 hour ago, bruce d said:

Mark, I have no idea why sometimes wood/plywood just decides all on it's own to develop a wriggle. It seems to be more common in thinner pieces. See my Mediator log for my own version of this aggravation. 

However, i have seen wood develop dark spots after bits of swarf from filling ferrous metals was allowed to rest on the surface long enough to begin oxidizing. After the process began it continued despite the rusting iron having been removed. Hope this isn't the problem because as far as I know there is no cure. 

I like what you are doing, will keep watching. 

Thanks Bruce.   Wood does seem to have a mind of it's own. As for filing... I didn't file anything "over" the model.  I do at the workbench where it sits though and vacuum up all the dust, etc. when done.  

Even the blank maple stock used instead of the lasered one for planking with strips is warped.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, if it was me I'd sand by hand. Those beams are pretty delicate. How are you storing your kit wood once you open the box? Does in remain in the bag or is in left in the open. Vertical or horizontal storage and is there air circulation around it? All those factors come into play to affect what happens to the wood.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

In any case I think it has to come out, maybe including deck beams. I’m sure you can get replacement parts. 

I’d  change brands of glue, if no markers that’s the only explanation sort of a roof leak.  

Better to demo and replace rather than attempt salvage from the looks of it. Hard to tell from photos but seems like some of the Qdeck beams aren’t set right also. 

I tear off stuff and replace all the time. It’s so fun😊

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks for the likes and the ideas.

I've put away the power sander.... just not the right tool for this though it did help a little.  Been hand sanding, re-seating things.  Once every thing is as good as I can make, photos and a deep breath before adding the planking piece which I'm ordering from Chris.   So far, the beams are all "ok".  I've reseated many of them and giving them a sanding to square things up. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, I'm sorry for the setback. I do hope you've managed to contain and fix the problem. Don't know what I could do from here to help but if you can think of something let me know. 

Thanks Keith.  Sometimes, stuff just happens so we have to fix it and carry on.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just been reading through  your  set back with the warping, before I read further on that you  have now started to re set your beams  - I was going to suggest  removing your decking  and  if it may have been possible to have rigged up a  support  beam across the wood beams  and somehow  used that to pull up the beams to set them all level.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks OC.   Decking was removed and not in good shape. The beams and cross-beams have been cleaned up and reset.  New decking is on order from Chris.   Mean time, I'll focus on the foredeck and get somethings done.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

20 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Thanks OC.   Decking was removed and not in good shape. The beams and cross-beams have been cleaned up and reset.  New decking is on order from Chris.   Mean time, I'll focus on the foredeck and get somethings done.

Sounds like a plan mate

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

Once again through my life meanderings I have missed another great build.

Sorry to see the warping issue. looks like you have it under control.

I didnt read every post so maybe I missed it. Did you cut all the joints on teh hull planking or were those kit parts? either way looks great.

Best,

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks, Sam.  I cut them and planked using the methods in the planking tutorials.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have to follow the sage wisdom of Clint Eastwood... "A man's got to know his limitations".  After being in denial for a couple of weeks, I'm accepting that as a reality.  The eight small cleats at the rear of the quarterdeck are  beyond me at this point.  Tiny little critters and I've gone to serious magnification and also ran through all my tools on hand for working with them.  Even spent time at the local hobbyshop looking for the right tools.  Just too tiny for me.   

So... I'll leave the holes for them for now.  Maybe in a week or two, I'll have some inspiration on how to manipulate them or worst case... fill the holes and paint.  

Time to turn the page and carry on.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark -

Glad you got the warping problem under control.

Looking forward to seeing the solution.

Have you considered buying small photoetched cleats?

I know they are out there, but can't remember who makes them.

If they are painted brown, at that size I don't think anyone will be able to tell that they are not wood.

Just a thought.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Not a bad idea, Dan.   The problem isn't the material.. it's the size.  Something I just need to work through.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 months later...

Been awhile since an update.   Caught up in the blah's at this point. Surgery for a stent was over week ago and still feeling side effects (think that's what I'm feeling).  I'm going to try to perk up and fly right by the weekend and get some real work done on her.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Gland to hear you're on the mend, Mark, and I look forward to you returning to your shipyard and your fine build.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Looking forward to seeing an update Mark. Hope you make it through the doldrums okay.

Looking forward to seeing the next moves, but take care of yourself first. We'll wait.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thanks for the support, everyone.   I'm slowly making progress and I know I could do better But, as with life, "it is what it is" at this point.  This has helped alot with my memory issues and  I've been doing a lot of self reflection on where to go from here. I've have narrowed things down.   Definitely 1:48 as eyes and hands say "no" to 1:64.  So deeper down the rabbit hole.   I've thought of Chuck's Winchelsea as no masting which is a space saver and it's a sweet looking model.   But deep down, I leaning towards a Licorne redoux but scaled upward to 1:48. More work in expanding the plans but, the "last great act of defiance" still draws me along with it's a Frenchie and has some great lines.

I'll just have to see where my musings take me.  Back to the shop to reflect and continue the course for Sphinx.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 11/3/2022 at 8:04 PM, mtaylor said:

"last great act of defiance"

I keep having these, but in my case they're "one last great act of pleasure". Keep going strong, Mark.

Tony

Mark, glad you are on the mend. I went through the stent thing myself about 2 years ago, and of course there is that eyesight thing that comes with age. Just take your time, after all this is just a hobby. 

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Just catching up with you, Mark. I didn't realise that you were having health problems and hope that the stent has done the trick. As for future projects, there's nothing wrong with 1:48 scale - or even larger. I've been working at that scale for decades. However, one has to allow for anno domini and, in my case, I don't think I'll be rigging any more models. The main thing is to enjoy model-making rather than get frustrated. All the best to you.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

22 hours ago, druxey said:

there's nothing wrong with 1:48 scale

I'd love to do a 1:48 model of a ship, but don't have the space. In fact it was an early ambition of mine. I don't even know where I'll put the 1:96 model I'm working on. Even the longboat I did at 1:36 only just fit the remaining space available in our flat.

I'd love to see you do a 1:48 should you decide so, Mark.

Tony