HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Thanks Glenn.   I just realized that somehow I missed 72.  Thus, stern part of the deck wasn't seating.  :blush:  I'll go stand in the dummy corner for a bit.foncemur.gif.6917101f11b311c3b96bd013c3b09a52.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

looking very good, shame im unable to find space to get in and watch,, lol to many followers

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I just realized that somehow I missed 72.  Thus, stern part of the deck wasn't seating.

Sounds like something I'd do! 🤪

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Kevin, no worries.  Always seats... did I mention the balcony?

Not the first time I've done that Bob, and probably not the last.  But it's part of what I need to do for me.   I feel like how to build a model is coming back to me.

Well, I did step 72, the one I missed...<sigh> and did it and also faired the top of the bulkheads.  Re-glued one down as the glue/water mix I was using didn't hold.  A true comedy of errors but no real harm done.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Dave, welcome to my circus....  I'm feeling like the head clown today.  

If questions are related to this build, feel free to ask here.  Otherwise, PM is fine and also there are all the subforums too.

Thank you Mark it is much appreciated. As I understand it you have mainly built you previous models 'scratch build' so with that in mind do you expect to use any large power tools for this build such as Miller,lathe and that sort of thing. I appreciate that this model has been designed so that everything fits together perfect and therefore should be no need but if you have the equiplment ?.......

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

7 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Thanks Glenn.   I just realized that somehow I missed 72.  Thus, stern part of the deck wasn't seating.  :blush:  I'll go stand in the dummy corner for a bit.foncemur.gif.6917101f11b311c3b96bd013c3b09a52.gif

I spend quite a bit of my time in the dummy corner. I made a notch on the front right inner bulwark pattern which was fouling on bulkhead 3. Thankfully I realised that this was actually the front left pattern before I glued the part. The notch will not be visible once the spirketting pattern is added and is also under the gangway.

bulwark.thumb.jpg.cf105a6135411fbe467b829487f4dc45.jpg

Edited by glennard2523

Glenn (UK)

3 hours ago, glennard2523 said:

I spend quite a bit of my time in the dummy corner. I made a notch on the front right inner bulwark pattern which was fouling on bulkhead 3. Thankfully I realised that this was actually the front left pattern before I glued the part. The notch will not be visible once the spirketting pattern is added and is also under the gangway.

bulwark.thumb.jpg.cf105a6135411fbe467b829487f4dc45.jpg

It is somehow satisfying to see, how experienced modellers do make the same mistakes as beginners :D

no offence intended

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

12 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

Thank you Mark it is much appreciated. As I understand it you have mainly built you previous models 'scratch build' so with that in mind do you expect to use any large power tools for this build such as Miller,lathe and that sort of thing. I appreciate that this model has been designed so that everything fits together perfect and therefore should be no need but if you have the equiplment ?.......

I really see no need for large power tools on this model as I'm pretty much building it "out of the box".  If rigging, maybe a lathe for the masts but those can also be done by hand but I'm thinking only stub masts on this one.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 8/30/2021 at 1:05 PM, mtaylor said:

Er, yes Grant, the bar in the corner is always open.

HEY!!!  You told me that alcohol was used for ungluing parts!!!

Anywho, pulling up a chair and bowl of popcorn.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Knowing you were in the doldrums for a while, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this kit..

I know you will do it justice..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, Chuck Seiler said:

HEY!!!  You told me that alcohol was used for ungluing parts!!!

Anywho, pulling up a chair and bowl of popcorn.

Well, the bar serves a dual purpose.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

24 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Knowing you were in the doldrums for a while, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this kit..

I know you will do it justice..

Thanks Gregory.   I think I have it sorted. Right now waiting for glue to dry before checking.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sometimes, I'm just as slow as molasses in winter... I took my time fairing the inside of the bulwarks/hull area and installed the inner planking.    Not too shabby from where I sit. Also added the quarterdeck beam spacing.  Time to dig out the Gundeck planking pieces, fit them and paint the inside red.   I'll probably lay down a thin coat of Vallejo matt varnish first as my tests showed a smoother finish than just doing the paint itself as I'm using a brush.    This should be fun.   

In case you're wondering what the clothes pins are for, they hold the hull down to the building stand.

1-6.JPG.68b2ecbf11194d307ca6c2fe8bb1aec6.JPG1-7.JPG.153b94b2ada723e4f86cbf45e53ddf70.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 9/4/2021 at 4:15 AM, Kevin said:

looking very good, shame im unable to find space to get in and watch,, lol to many followers

I've  got  2 hammocks  me old mucker   - you can pinch on eof those.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking so nice Mark   - so good seeing  you getting stuck into this.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Sometimes, I'm just as slow as molasses in winter... I took my time fairing the inside of the bulwarks/hull area and installed the inner planking.    Not too shabby from where I sit. Also added the quarterdeck beam spacing.  Time to dig out the Gundeck planking pieces, fit them and paint the inside red.   I'll probably lay down a thin coat of Vallejo matt varnish first as my tests showed a smoother finish than just doing the paint itself as I'm using a brush.    This should be fun.   

In case you're wondering what the clothes pins are for, they hold the hull down to the building stand.

1-6.JPG.68b2ecbf11194d307ca6c2fe8bb1aec6.JPG1-7.JPG.153b94b2ada723e4f86cbf45e53ddf70.JPG

I use a building slip to hołd her down, find that using the privuded cradle doesnt allow holding it securely. 

Anyway, varnish then painting? 

I See you broke the part from the deck too :D

Jacek

Thanks for the likes and comments.

16 hours ago, Jasseji said:

I use a building slip to hołd her down, find that using the privuded cradle doesnt allow holding it securely. 

Anyway, varnish then painting? 

I See you broke the part from the deck too :D

I don't have a keel clamp or building slip.   Had one way back years ago and never used it for some reason.     I'm working on the varnishing then paint thing.   Some testing shows I get a smoother finish (using a brush) but....  I'll probably just paint.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I decided to "size" the gunports and get the skin to match the port before going any further.   Past history tells me I'm better off doing this now than waiting until the planking on the exterior is done.  Once done, I'll paint the inside red and add the spiriting and deck clamp before painting.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I decided to "size" the gunports and get the skin to match the port before going any further.   Past history tells me I'm better off doing this now than waiting until the planking on the exterior is done.  Once done, I'll paint the inside red and add the spiriting and deck clamp before painting.  

Indeed, i find that i should have done it before painting

Jacek

I'm up to instruction 115.   Been a bit of touch and go due to a small accident but all is well...  Had a paint spill while painting the aft end of the deck clamps and spirketting.  Nothing major just some drippage but ended up it was to just to paint them as they'll be pretty much in the dark.   Note to self.... stop being a clumsy putz. 

Here's the current state of things. 

1-8.thumb.JPG.a308b6d4b54a78afdaa6e4dbbe491757.JPG

1-9.thumb.JPG.06b125cce2b113d13b697a9b45fe8f2c.JPG

1-10.thumb.JPG.e5ac107189005c53dbe004d75b49e059.JPG

1-11.thumb.JPG.6f5190e18d40387d1dd49a72c6cd92b2.JPG

1-12.thumb.JPG.a7bd6ffce27176b33754fef317bbdab5.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That is looking so nice Mark  -  the detail  and  build of it  is really inspiring  -  you can see its going to be a Great  build.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

She's coming along nicely, Mark.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Very nice mark

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

3 minutes ago, gjdale said:

Looking good Mark. As for the paint spill - what paint spill?

the manual asks for a cutoff of the red color in the cabin area, Mark painted it over completely so the spricketing pattern is red on the whole lenght - i should have done the same to be honest after i got the paint spill on the cutoff

Jacek