HMS Indefatigable 1794 (prototype) by James H - Vanguard Models - 1:64

37 minutes ago, Surgeonstone said:

It would  be cool if one could purchase a copy of the Geoff Hunt painting. 

You're in luck! No affiliation, but Artmarine.co.uk sell limited edition prints as part of their Fighting Sail series for about £60, as well as prints of some alternative paintings by Robert Taylor and John Chancellor.  A search on eBay is currently coming up trumps too.

A very brief update before the weekend one. 

The office furniture has been painted by a friend of mine, and here it is. The round table will not be included with Indy, but the other table will, along with a couple of chairs. Here you can see a couple of incarnations of the furniture, 3D-printed and painted with oils. My friend also added the navigation charts for some extra effect!

tables.jpg

These items, including the round table are available already though. https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/cabin-furniture/

Wow, I need a friend like that. It went from blue plastic to impeccably real. Where does one get 1/64th maps...

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

9 hours ago, James H said:

office furniture has been painted by a friend of mine, and here it is

Those are truly amazing. Do you have any tutorials on how to even approach doing painting like that? And the maps...wow, very impressive. Is your friend accepting applications for new friends 😉?

15 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

It went from blue plastic to impeccably real. Where does one get 1/64th maps...

Agreed on the maps, or maybe suggestions on paper and how to print them even.

Ok, just an interim update. 

I was going to leave this until weekend when the office was installed, but I may as well show the upper deck being fitted and prepped for further work. Indy will be supplied with deck planking material as standard. At the moment, this looks like it will be red alder, which is gorgeous. I have some here that I'll do a couple of stages showing how to present it, assuming the modeller will have a good idea already. Indefatigable isn't marketed at modellers who are novices or intermediate. This is an 'Advanced' level kit in VM's new 5-point kit categorisation. More on that when it's released. What you see here are the standard ply sections which are laser-engraved so you have something as a planking guide. 

389.jpg

This is where checking the lay of the deck beams really does pay off. This deck is fitted in halves, unlike the main deck, simply as it's a more complex item. With everything test fitted and dry run several times, the deck beams have glue added to them and the deck is slotted into the outer bulkhead ears. Weights and clamps are then used to hold things down until dry. The 2 inch clamps are perfect for this, especially the cutouts where the front end clamps the joint and the clamp tail holds down the opposite side. 

390.jpg

And then the other deck half is fitted in the same way. 

391.jpg

There is a little more internal fairing to do, but this is easy enough. This is where the cabin walls will be installed and I need to make sure there's no bumps anywhere. 

392.jpg

And while this seems drastic, these frames DO need to now be removed as the next build stages will incorporate engraved inner bulwarks which glue onto the the sides.

393.jpg

The forecastle bulkhead ears are now history too.

394.jpg

More at weekend when I have the painted furniture in hand.

it just gets better

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

12 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Wow, I need a friend like that. It went from blue plastic to impeccably real. Where does one get 1/64th maps...

To make a chart for the table in my Sphinx,  I found an appropriate 18th century one on the Internet and then just reduced its size by photocopying several times until it was about 10mm wide.   It looks OK but I hope when I've finished it will be as good as the one produced by Jim's friend!

Nipper 

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

This is my weekend update time as I'll be working flat out from this stage to get the upper deck work done. Getting the cabin built and fitted out seemed like a good time to post.

The first thing that's to be done is to fit the vertical face for the benching in rear of captain's office. 

396.jpg

With that fitted, the parquet floor is added. This is supplied in card and it looks nicer than the maple version, and a cool contrast. Titebond is used to fit this. The remainder of the rudder housing boxing is then completed.

399-2.jpg

402.jpg

The bulkhead screens are supplied in two 0.6mm engraved laminates. Instead of using wood-curling white glue, 3M Spray Mount is used. The parts are lovely and glass flat.

405.jpg

408.jpg

The outer bulkhead screen is fitted with laser-engraved columns.

409.jpg

The inner bulkhead screen and the partition wall are temporarily fitted so that the engraved maple floor sections in that area can be trimmed to size. Once they are done, the floor sections are glued into place and the screen and partition removed until later.

414.jpg

415.jpg

This picture will give a good idea about the post design process that I am engaged in when building the production prototype. I will invariably find a small number of things which needed amending. This is either because it was missed during the initial cut build, or because something in the design was changed and a small number of affected areas may have missed an update. Here you see the cabin side wall and the changes made from the initial part. That includes shifting details by 2mm to align gun ports and also packing out the rear to cater to the lowered cabin shelf. Hey, at least we can show you how we do this as a tag-team!

DSC_1614-2.jpg

416.jpg

I temporarily fit the cabin walls and the screens so that I can draw a demarcation line to guide me for painting the cabin interior. 

417.jpg

The cabin walls and internal cabin screen are now painted, and the screens fitted out.

418.jpg

423.jpg

I can finally glue into place the cabin walls, screens and partition. Note the eyelets are added to the ports and floor. 

425.jpg

Did I say this came with a cabinet? No? Well, it does, and this is now fitted into place.

430.jpg

431.jpg

The carronades in this area differ from the others as they will retract into hull during the hull painting process. They can be rolled out into position when that job is complete. These are now fitted to the cabins area.

432.jpg

439.jpg

443.jpg

444.jpg

Time for some furniture and maps too. 

446.jpg

447.jpg

Hope you like the work so far. Onwards!!

It looks fantastic!

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

This shows just how right Chris was to make the furniture (as well as his figures) - the additional detail and accuracy brings to life what is a stunning model.

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

brilliant

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

What a fantastic build.  That internal detail would benefit from some cabin lights. Lots of options these days with the LED's now available. But very early planning required.

regards

Malcolm    

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

23 hours ago, James H said:

I re-took the photo of the cabin area as there was too much glare on the deck and the background was dirty. 

So, here it is. 447.jpg

I would never imagine there would be cannons right inside the command and control room with all the furniture and neat floor and stuff. Did they really fire them? Amazing.

Current :

HMS Sphinx by Vanguard

-------------

Completed:

Orient Express Sleeping Car by Amati

Bluenose II (Artesania Latina)

Istanbul Tram - Occre

Bluenose II - Artesania Latina

Bosphorus Sandal Fishing Boat

Riva Aquarama - Amati

Titanic - Mantua

Bosphorus Fishing Boat - Tersane Model

San Juan Nepomuceno - Artesania Latina

Bluenose - Billing Boats

I have never seen cannon in the captains cabin in any TV show or movie. If they were really in there, space and smell must have been terrible. The movies left them out for affect more than likely.

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

30 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

I have never seen cannon in the captains cabin in any TV show or movie. If they were really in there, space and smell must have been terrible. The movies left them out for affect more than likely.

Probably most of them ... but "Master and Commander: The Fas Side of the World" kept the cannons in the captain's cabin. The cannons can be seen in several scenes in the captain's cabin. I think even during the dinner's scene in the cabin, with so many people in the room, I think the cannons are still inside.

Working on 3D models for the naval sailing simulation "The Weather Gage"

The epic film, “Master & Commander” is still a touchstone for a realistic depiction of fighting sail at the end of the 17th-early 18th-century. Personally, I return to watch it every so often for an immersion in history related to our hobby (and the era) I love. The current Vic’s captain’s quarters in Portsmouth looks very “sanitary” by comparison. This First Rate’s spacious quarters looks like a high school cafeteria space compared with the stingy and head-banging spaces of most other fighting ships in the Age of Sail.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren