The museum at Portsmouth, I believe it’s now called the Royal Navy Museum used to have a full sized realistic figure of Admiral Nelson in his full dress uniform.  It was arranged so you didn’t see it until you came around a corner.  It was quite startling.  He appeared to be much smaller than we usually visualize such heroic people.

Maybe a Lady Hamilton to keep him company? 😀

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

OK, I have just competed the hull designs for Harpy (1796), now onto masts. Here are a few pics of the (sacrificial) 'pre-prototype', again, used only to check fit of designed parts, so this has really been taken apart and put together a lot. (And is in fact the third of my builds for this)

Again, the only planking required will be at the level below the main wale down, with everything above this all pre cut/engraved, including the main wale (this is why they take so long to design)

Armament is absolutely typical of this vessel, 16 x 32-Pounder carronades and 2 x 6-Pounder long guns.

64th Scale, as I am sure someone will ask, and a hull length of around 545mm, with a lot of detail..

ETA - The hatch coamings sit on the deck beams and carlings, and not directly onto the deck, and the deck sits directly onto the deck beams, instead of ply sub deck and lime deck, for better scale appearance.

Harpy proto complete 11.jpg

Harpy proto complete 12.jpg

Harpy proto complete 13.jpg

Harpy proto complete 14.jpg

Harpy proto complete 15.jpg

Harpy proto complete 1.jpg

Harpy proto complete 2.jpg

Harpy proto complete 3.jpg

Harpy proto complete 4.jpg

Harpy proto complete 5.jpg

Harpy proto complete 6.jpg

Harpy proto complete 7.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

28 minutes ago, mugje said:

That's amazing! This will be a top seller I guess :) 

Cheers, I never know until they go on sale.

The last time I did an 18-gun brig was 25 years ago, so I wanted to make sure this one's a little more special and not a rehash of what I have done before. I do try to implement stuff I have thus far learned from previous designs, and also take on board constructive criticism of certain aspects. Harpy will be the latest iteration of that learning curve - plus I wanted to do this little fighter justice, being the longest served of her class and the most widely travelled, in action from the French Revolutionary to the end of the Napoleonic Wars. Plus she has great lines, being not nearly as 'Flat' as the Cruiser Class, but more like an much larger Speedy Class, lines wise.

When I started this, my first stipulation to myself was that I wanted to include a stove. This meant that I would need to show the lower deck, so the model also has scale upper deck beams (4mm thick pear) and adding more lower detail, which does increase the material count by quite a margin.

The deck planking pattern is actually copied from an original copy of a Cruiser Class deck plan, which includes the deck planking lines. As per usual now, anything directly glued to the inner and outer bulwarks have slots for their respective positions, eliminating the need to measure where they go, and because they are slotted as well as glued, the channels and pin racks are very strong and secure. I did make one change from the original plans, and that was to add stern davits, as I have a painting of her showing these, and I have no doubt these would have been added at some point in her long career. I will include at least one 3-d printed cutter, perhaps two, one for the deck and one for the stern davits. (Modeller can always leave the stern davits off, if they so wish)

As I said at the start, I have no idea how this will sell, but I certainly didn’t want to simply produce yet another run of the mill kit with just bulkheads, keel and upper deck, like the ones I did 25 years ago - no fun in that. This will be my 17th and final kit for this year. Jim will be doing a build log for this later this year - I still have much to do before then, though.

logo.jpg

Nice, it really looks like the child of Speedy and Snake 🙂 Interesting with the lower deck. Re-inventing the hobby once again!

Now you have an impresive line-up of models. Any thoughts of adding a bomb or mortar vessel to your fleet? 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Vane said:

Nice, it really looks like the child of Speedy and Snake 🙂 Interesting with the lower deck. Re-inventing the hobby once again!

Now you have an impresive line-up of models. Any thoughts of adding a bomb or mortar vessel to your fleet? 

Cheers :)

Not sure about adding a bomb or mortar vessel, never gave that type a single thought. And, to be honest, I have very little passion for that type of vessel. I don't think people will be too disappointed with kit number 18, though.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, navarcus said:

Wouldn't the purple smokestack's (vent?)

opening face forward because the wind comes from aft?

That would be up to the modeller. It can face fore, aft, port or starboard. Most contemporary models I have seen have it facing as I have positioned it - but really, it is no big deal as it can be changed to whatever postion anyway.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

25 minutes ago, navarcus said:

Wouldn't the purple smokestack's (vent?)

opening face forward because the wind comes from aft?

Remember, the ship is travelling forward, pushed by that aft wind. If the stack was facing forwards, there would be a positive pressure at the vent, forcing smoke under the deck. Facing backwards, despite the wind, there will be a negative pressure, helping to draw out smoke. 

23 hours ago, chris watton said:

don't think people will be too disappointed with kit number 18,

Is it a Surprise?😁

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Posted (edited)

They counted as guns on brigs. At this period (1790's-1815), the overwhelming majority of 18-gun brigs had the 16x24 or 32-Pounders and 2 x 6-Pounder long guns. This made them very powerful for their size at closer ranges. If they were armed with 18 x 6-Pounder long guns, not only would they have been slower due to the heavier weight of the guns, their broadside weight and effect would have been pitiful when compared to the carronades

They were never counted as such on larger vessels, though, presumably because the armament was chopped and changed quite often (secondary armament, that is, not the main gun deck ordnance – unless it was a 24-pounder frigate fitted with 18’s…)

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Posted (edited)

To add to Chris’s point, ships carrying less than 20 guns were ‘un-rated’ and not impacted by the guns -v- carronades -v- total ordnance argument that muddied the rated ship system delineations prior to a total ordnance rating system adopted in 1817.

Gary

Edited by Morgan

Technically, it will be a "surprise", just not the one people might think...

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

On 6/1/2024 at 7:36 AM, chris watton said:

Not sure about adding a bomb or mortar vessel, never gave that type a single thought. And, to be honest, I have very little passion for that type of vessel.

Wich' being one who's building a Granado - I'd encourage add'n a bomb vessel to the Vanguard Fleet 😃.  When it comes to armament, maybe bigger is better 😉

Posted (edited)

Just received some first renders of one of the series of boats I have commissioned to be done for me. This is the progress of the 24 foot cutter, and I am quite happy with that.

Am looking forward to seeing the rest when they're done.

24 foot cutter render 1.jpg

24 foot cutter render 2.jpg

24 foot cutter render 3.jpg

Oh, and no bomb vessels planned! lol

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

would make a nice diorama setting on its own