Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

I've finished the fore lower ratlines. They are OK, but hardly perfect. I need to do better on the main and mizzen.

They look pretty good from this distance Bob! ;)

no understatement Bob,

those well done ratlines at the lower foremast look just right

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

As an experienced ratline maker as myself I will say that they are great !!!!!

Even the rigging Gnomes are saying YES !!!!!!

You can be proud of what you have done Bob !!! 

Sjors

Thanks so much Rich, B.E. and Sjors for the very nice comments and also the "likes". 

Sjors, can I borrow those gnomes to tie the rest of the knots? :D

Bob

Well, I promised "better" on the main ratlines and I hope I've kept that promise. Practice may not make perfect, but it does make better. I've always found that avoiding distortion of the shrouds is the hardest part of doing ratlines, but it gets easier as you get into the rythym. It's a shame that you only get to do these every couple of years or so -- it takes a while to remember what you learned in the previous efforts.  :D  :D

With that overly long introduction, I've now finished the lower main ratlines. Now, on to the mizzen.

Bob

post-186-0-60185300-1422100958_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-60957500-1422100979_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-19689700-1422100999_thumb.jpg

Sjors, can I borrow those gnomes to tie the rest of the knots? :D

Bob

Bob,

I ask the Gnomes if they want to help you and there answer was......NO.

They are a shame of them self because you do an better job then they can do !

Now I have to search for them where they are because they are hiding themselves now.........

Sjors

Great work, Bob.

I always feel that rat-lines really make the build come alive.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Great work Bob,

good Job on the ratlines

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I found the following letter in the National Archives Microfilm Rolls. Thought it might be of interest ... 

"Captain Robert Rafine, Esquire

USF Essex

Salem, Massachusetts

Washington, DC Jan 25, 1800,

Dear Captain Rafine,

As your ship is nearly ready for sea, your are ordered to open a Rendezvous and take on six months provisions, and make all preparations for putting to sea at the earliest opportunity. As the French are active in the southern waters, particularly off the piratical haven called "Delray Beach", or "New Sodom", off the coast of Spanish Florida, you and the Ship Essex under your command are ordered to frustrate their endeavors. Your detailed private orders are thus enclosed. Fail not, Sir, at your peril. Having the the highest confidence in your abilities, I remain, Sir,

Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Benjamin Stoddart, Esquire,

Secretary of the Navy."

( :) )

Edited by uss frolick

I don't know if you can possibly do 'better' ratlines when they were perfect on the mizzen to begin with. They are looking great Bob.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks so much Nils, Frolick, Patrick and the"likes".

Frolick, I'm not so sure of her sailing qualities just yet. It may be some months before she's ready to go. Hopefully, the French will do no damage before then. :)  :)

Bob

Thanks so much Nils, Frolick, Patrick and the"likes".

Frolick, I'm not so sure of her sailing qualities just yet. It may be some months before she's ready to go. Hopefully, the French will do no damage before then. :)  :)

Bob

I checked... all of us building French ships are way behind you.  Though I think Gaetan has a 1:24th 74 finished  but not masted.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks so much Mark, Janos, Thomas and the "likes".

Mark, with all the French ships now being built, I may have to enlist the aid of the fleet of Connies being built on MSW. :P

Janos, I was not aware of that knot, but I'll have to give it a try.

Bob

Thanks so much John for the kind words.

The lower ratlines are now completed, as I've done the mizzen. There will still be ratlines to be done on the topmast shrouds, of course, but there is a lot to be done before getting to them. The next items of work include making the topmasts, which I've already started, adding various blocks to the mastheads, and the crowsfeet, which I actually dread more than the ratlines.

Bob

post-186-0-94238900-1422363713_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31923400-1422363732_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-02028400-1422363752_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-85845600-1422363772_thumb.jpg

Looks real good Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed