Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Your V2 is great.  It shows the determination and dedication of the builder to create a really good and in my opinion a beautiful model, Congratulations on a job well done.

David B

whether upside down......or right side up........you've done an excellent job this time around Mark.   the portholes look really REALLY good!

what I've found to be a complimenting part of this site is the moderation team.....you folks do an admirable job.  given the subjects I tend to model,  it's good to see you and John {Jim Ladd} have taken an interest.   I had the pleasure to meet John,  back when I finished the M&M Fun Ship.  for me,  with all there is to see here in the states,  he took the time to stop in for a visit,  and take pictures of this off the wall build.  I was very humbled and honored.   don't know when........or how........but one day,  I hope to get to meet you too  :)  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark,

I've just had the pleasure of going over your build log and catching up from my busy season. Great work my friend!

I loved watching your progression and how you worked through each portion of the framing. So very well done!

An inspiration to us all. Also consider the like button pounded until it wore out. :o

Best of luck on the stern, but then I don't think wishing you luck will be needed at all! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Popeye.   I'm sure we'll find a way to meet sometime. 

Thanks Rusty.   I'm of the opinion that right now I'm overthinking this and just need to do it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work Mark. So jealous of you. I really love all of the amazing POF builds going on around MSW. Looking forward to the day when I can tackle one. Your Licorne is an inspiration.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Mark, great work, I have seen an article or book mentioned that descibes the Hahn method including making framing stock and jigs - can you point me to the reference? I have Ships of the American Revolution, am I missing it or is there a different book?

Hi Carl,

Actually I do overthink.  Though for the stern I think it's the fear since that's where I crashed and burned the last time.  Anyway, pics coming as do the transoms...

Thanks, Dave.  I've seen your work and I have no doubt you could do a POF and it would be excellent.

Hi Lou,

The best overview of his building is in the book you already have.  The chapters on Alfred pretty much tell you how.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good Mark...keep it up now..

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Battle of the Stern - Opening Salvos

Reread the plans at least 10 times and compared them to the salvaged stern section from V 1.0...  realized I can do a lot better and also figured out where the errors crept in.  Then reviewed Hahn's article from the NRJ on her.  The pictures were unclear and perhaps I missed something first time through.  So... scanned the article and adjusted the pics... yep.  whiffed it.  Scan of a a scan of a printed magazine with retouched photos...  <hangs head since he knows better>

So, I started with some deconstruction by removing the stern post.  That done, took some basswood and worked on the filler piece.  The pics seem to show one curve (which I used for V 1.0) and plans show a different curve.  Originally, I figured Hahn found something and did the filler differently then the drawing and I followed that.  Wrong!!!!  It was the pic. I followed the drawing this time.  Much happier.

Also, worked on the first transom frame.  A lot happier even though it took the second try to get it right.  

These are "rough faired" for now.  I'll go back and finish shaping when the second transom is installed.

post-76-0-80739100-1415915993_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-90373900-1415915998_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-85374800-1415916003_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-84564200-1415916008_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

The great thing about wood is you can always rework it or replace it ;). I noticed that you have left your frame fairly rough to this point. To what extent will you finish it out or at all?

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Well thouhgt through Mark. Good to see you took the drawing. Sometimes a picture can say more than a thousand words, but sometimes it puts you on the wrong foot as it did with vs 1.0

In todays day and age you really have to be sharp using images with all the scanning, retouching, etc

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I spy two 'happiers' subsequent to head hanging.  Congrats  !!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good "show" Mark....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks for the likes and comments. 

Mark,

The great thing about wood is you can always rework it or replace it ;). I noticed that you have left your frame fairly rough to this point. To what extent will you finish it out or at all?

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,

The frames are <cough> a bit <cough> rough at this point.  I'm using 100 grit paper but will go to maybe a 120(?) or a tad finer for the final of all final fairings.  I tell myself I'm done and then go back and hit it again.. <sigh>   I want the glue to hold the planks on and using something 400 just doesn't leave enough tooth.   If I were doing an "admiralty style", there would be no rough edges or gouges allowed and I'd probably just now be getting the second or third frame into place. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well done Mark, looks like you've cracked it this time, looking real good mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

It seems that everyone knows what you are saying Mark except me ...... :P

Don't blame your self, it's just the thing that I not take attention on school when it was needed  :D  :D

As far I can see.....great work  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Thank heavens I started over..  this is coming out better than I thought.  I missed so much on the plans and pictures the last time stumbling though...  post-76-0-71812100-1416519469.gif

I'm making templates of the transom timbers from the plans and using the cleaned up photos as a guide.  I think it's coming together much better.  Here's the first two timbers in place.  They're of the proper shape but not faired.  That will come when all of the stern is in place lest I screw it up. 

post-76-0-24318200-1416519594_thumb.jpg

The next one, the top transom, is the challenge.  It has two curves (one vertically and one horizontally) to give the stern windows their curve but also the curve from side to side.   Plus... (added bonus for complexity) it has eight slots milled into it for the vertical timbers.  This should be frustrating and fun at the same time.  See the pic for the plan view of this timber.

post-76-0-86856600-1416520243_thumb.jpg

Onward and upward....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice and complicated Mark, glad you're happy with it, very nice curves and all.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

If it wasn't a challenge Mark, it would be no fun ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Yup, that transom piece is a compound curve.  Had the same on Confederacy....but of course I wasn't starting from thin air.  Based on your success with the counter you'll get it RFT.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mark,

Your Licorne is a stunning piece of work. I do no think there is a modeler out there that does not cringe a little (or a lot in my case) when it comes to transom work. Your timbers look great and I am sure you will pull it off with aplomb. 

- Tim

Edited by Tim I.

To me the transom has always been a bear cat for getting it correct.  I remember on my Latham I had to redo the transom at least 3 times until i was happy with it.

David B