ROYAL CAROLINE 1749 by Doris - 1:40 - CARD

Congratulations, DORIS. Your model is a real stunner. Like I said many pages back - I have seen many Royal Carolines, but yours is the most Royal of them all. Until I saw your model, it was my intention to build a RC. Not any more - I can't possibly do a better job than you, and I doubt if many people on this website (which is already full of talented people!) would be able to do it either. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I think it's cool that you have a room dedicated as an art gallery...........can you talk to my admiral and convince her to give me the living room?  :D  :D   your modeling is so awesome......I really enjoy the little things you instill in your builds.  really beautiful work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Phew Doris - your Caroline is out of this world - as are your other ships in the photos. I really can only dream of working at this level. Wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing you applying your skills to the plastic kits - I am sure it will be a revelation. 

BTW - all the best in your new job.  :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Doris,

I am glad your postings have returned.  Thank you for the pictures and video of your completed model.  I am speechless.  The work is simply stunning - interiors, exteriors, rigging, carvings, finish, attention to minute detail....  I could go on.  I especially loved the burl tabletops, the fretwork on the chair backs and the paintings.  You have set an impossible standard for the rest of us mortals.  Go, Doris!

Ed

Doris,

You stay away for a while and when you come back ,I think that almost everyone is in shock........

At least I am !!!!!!!!!

Another beautiful creation coming from your hands !

You told us that you have more then 30 models in one room ??????

Are you living in a palace ???????

And a question from me.....do you have a favourite model ????

( Should be a difficult thing to choose one )

Thanks for the movie......next time I want to see YOU doing the presentation  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

• 2 weeks later...

Happy birthday, Doris. :)

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

G'day Doris

I've been reading your log from the beginning with my jaw on the ground. I can't believe what artistic craftsmanship that you have lovingly put into this amazing ship.

I find it hard to believe it's made mostly of card and very little tools. Its mind boggling to say the least!

I'll be looking forward to your next card masterpiece with baited breath.

Goodonyou!

Congratulations again on an inspirational piece of art!

Greg from the land down under!

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Doris,

Finally got an email update, somehow missed your last few updates.

Beyond descriptive words. Such beautiful art. Interiors alone are stunning. Also loved the video such a peacefully captive ten minutes Oh my.

Yes "relax" and take on a French ship. Be sure to identify this next project with "kit Bashing" in the title (:-) 

Congratulations on another stunning model.

Sincerely,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hello dear friends,
let me express my sincere gratitude to all your comments, praise and congratulation. Thank you warmly for your kind words. That is a great honour for me and I appreciate it a lot.

This card model of Royal Caroline is one of my best I've ever created, but nothing is perfect and without mistakes and there are some things that could be made better or more realistic.

So there are lessons for next time and next projects.....

Thank you very much for your support and a great inspiration I have found here - in the family of model ship builders and very kind people.
I wish you a lot of success with model building and also a great time and much fun.
Kind regards
Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Your model room is amazing! You could have a one person exhibition right there!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Thank you dear friends.

KeithW: Well, people often visit me and want to see the models with their own eyes. And I say, please enjoy. :)

Omega1234: The liners are mostly from plastic:

QM2 and Aida - Revell kit 1/400:

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=79951

My Queen Mary 2:

Titanic - Academy 1/400:

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=49680

And the bigger one is my own scratch build (I was 18 years old, when it was created):

http://www.papirove-modely.cz/galerie/galerie.php?show=363

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

What an amazing showroom! I really like the 1780 Chebec

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Doris, what a truly inspiring work the Royal Caroline is. And thank you for sharing the views into your other wonderful models on display. I could spend hours in that room.

Doris, that collection of models is simply amazing :) . Are you sure there is only ONE of you? That looks like the lifetime work of a few dozen builders :D .

Your work makes mine seem amateurish in comparison. Well done!!

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I'm currently building the Academy Titanic........got a big smile when I saw yours  :)     you have quite a collection..........such very nice work!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just.... wow!!!!   I go along with Danny.. only one of you? !!!!!   Your model room is a museum.. better than some museums I've seen.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Doris, as all our fellow model builders I followed your log with great interest, amazed at you "craftwomanship" (^^) and love (because we can feel the love you add to your work pouring through the pictures). It brought tears to my eyes to see your finished RC and as everyone already said, there are no words to describe your work, or there are too many words and would be boring just to put them in line right here, lol. Thank you for sharing all the process; really hope to see your next buildings for it´s an encouragement to me to know someone can build ships so marvelous as you do. Congratz for a stunning work of art.

PS. Hope your new job be a great one!

• 4 weeks later...

Dear friends,
thank you very much for your kind words, I am pleased and appreciate your posts a lot. That is a great honour for me.

Doris, that collection of models is simply amazing :) . Are you sure there is only ONE of you? That looks like the lifetime work of a few dozen builders :D .

Your work makes mine seem amateurish in comparison. Well done!!

:cheers:  Danny

Just.... wow!!!!   I go along with Danny.. only one of you? !!!!!   Your model room is a museum.. better than some museums I've seen.

Dear Danny and Mark,

in this room there are about 30 ship models and more than 60 cars (mainly plastic models in a scale 1/24). The oldest ships I built about 20 years ago.
Many of these older models were quite easy, so there was not a problem to build several ships during every year. Now I prefer to create mainly large sailing ships (scratch build), so it takes me thousands of hours (for example Sovereign of the seas about 6000 hours and Royal Caroline almost 7000). Now I have only one problem - there is no spare space for more....
And the collection of bottles with alcohol - this is my husband's hobby ( but he does not drink it, only collects)..... :D

Doris, as all our fellow model builders I followed your log with great interest, amazed at you "craftwomanship" (^^) and love (because we can feel the love you add to your work pouring through the pictures). It brought tears to my eyes to see your finished RC and as everyone already said, there are no words to describe your work, or there are too many words and would be boring just to put them in line right here, lol. Thank you for sharing all the process; really hope to see your next buildings for it´s an encouragement to me to know someone can build ships so marvelous as you do. Congratz for a stunning work of art.

PS. Hope your new job be a great one!

Dear Vivian, thank you for your support and kind words. I am sure, I will continue with other projects and show it also here. Now I need to relax a little, so I spend some time to assemble plastic models.
For example La Reale by Heller:

post-1353-0-21426600-1439540368_thumb.jpgpost-1353-0-51227200-1439540375_thumb.jpgpost-1353-0-59655200-1439540380_thumb.jpg

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=95541&start=30

Unfortunately this is a poor-quality kit ( I purchase the older one), so there are many troubles with fragile or damaged parts and in addition, the model parts are very inaccurate.

Next time I will rather choose Tamiya kits.... ;)

Best regards

Doris

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Hello Doris,

a fine collection of ship models that you have created in the course of your life.
I admire your artistic style and precision with which you build your excellent models.
I hope that you will show us a lot more of your art.

Dear friends,

thank you very much for your kind words, I am pleased and appreciate your posts a lot. That is a great honour for me.

Don't be so humble, Doris. Your RC really is the definitive RC build. It is a signal to the rest of us at MSW that what our current idea of a "magnificent" build is, is totally inadequate. If you can find me another RC build on MSW, or anywhere in the world, that exceeds yours in terms of detail, the fine-ness of the workmanship, and sheer beauty, I will quite happily name the other person the best RC builder in the world. But I am betting that you won't. So until then, YOU wear the crown, and you should be proud of it. 

Regards, Keith

Don't be so humble, Doris. Your RC really is the definitive RC build. It is a signal to the rest of us at MSW that what our current idea of a "magnificent" build is, is totally inadequate. If you can find me another RC build on MSW, or anywhere in the world, that exceeds yours in terms of detail, the fine-ness of the workmanship, and sheer beauty, I will quite happily name the other person the best RC builder in the world. But I am betting that you won't. So until then, YOU wear the crown, and you should be proud of it.

G'day Doris

I agree with Keith up to a point. Your RC is the top notch of any RC around. I could say in artistic ability your RC is the winner of all the ships, not only in this forum but every forum.

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Doris

...can't argue with either of these comments!!!

Ditto from me, too.

Cheers

Patrick

G'day Doris

I agree with Keith up to a point. Your RC is the top notch of any RC around. I could say in artistic ability your RC is the winner of all the ships, not only in this forum but every forum.

Cheers

Greg