Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Good morning Sherry

 

just reclaimed my seat in the audience, it needed a bit of a dusting,and was covered in popcorn, sjors must have been around recently but i sat on it anyway,

It was lovely and inspirational to catch up on your build again, i do so like the open stern gallery,

LOL i hope it rains again soon so your work can progress again

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank-you everyone for all the comments! 

 

Well, an update is long overdue - I almost feel I should introduce myself again!  :P 

 

I struggled in the summer with which route to take for my cannons. I tried making molds and casting with resin with only limited success. The summer flew by and winter appeared and casting became a problem due to mess and allergies, or at least some reaction to the fumes. Ideally working outside is the best option, but at -20 degrees Celsius, it's not an option!

 

I had seen some paper cannons that Doris made and I thought I would give that a try. It would be easier if my scale was larger, but I don't find it too difficult. I know they are not perfect, but I am relatively pleased with the outcome and will continue with this process.

 

I am currently experimenting with weathering the cannons, so the painted one is not necessarily what the finished product will look like. 

 

post-167-0-96168700-1420664630_thumb.jpg

 

post-167-0-78746900-1420664637_thumb.jpg

 

post-167-0-15638200-1420664642_thumb.jpg

 

post-167-0-35579700-1420664645_thumb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sherry,

 

It is great to see another update on your build, and those cannon look great! As one who doesn't own a lathe and has to find alternative processes and materials to what typically would be lathe turnings, i appreciate and applaud your extremely sharp looking 'mixed medium' cannons. Well done!

 

Cheers

 

Elia

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark/SJSoane: I think my main problem is the small scale at which I am working. It can be done apparently, but it was more trouble than it was worth to me. 

After a few tries I got a decent rubber mold, but I struggled with the polyester resin sticking to the mold. I tried the dilute vaseline, corn starch, and talc as release agents - none of which worked for me. Apparently there is a release agent for purchase, but I didn't want to commit any more money to this one project. I did get a few cannons that were okay, but I like my paper ones better. The biggest problem was the resin fumes, which left me with huge headaches and sinus problems every time I used it. When I finally made the connection, I stopped using resin and no more symptoms.

 

Popeye: Thank-you! I am happy with the results.

 

Grant: Thank-you! It's great to be back. Hopefully I can find more time to finish these guns soon.

 

Elia: Thank-you! I know what you mean about finding alternative processes, and this one seems to work for me.

 

Patrick: Thank-you as well!

 

Bob: Thank-you on both counts!

 

Sjors:   :D  :D  :D Thank-you! Paper is a LOT cheaper too, than buying more than 100 brass cannons.

 

Mark: Thank-you! The casabels are made from polymer clay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...