What do I want for Christmas

OK fellow Modelshipworldians.  My wife asked me tonight what I wanted for Christmas and I didn't know what to say.  I suppose the usual socks and underwear but I think I have a chance to throw a cool tool in the mix.  What do you think, any suggestions?  Keep in mind, I already have the Byrnes table saw.  Possibly thinking of another power tool or perhaps some really beneficial hand tools.  I could use your help for ideas.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

My first response when my wife asks me this "How much can I spend?"

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Depending on your particular situation I would recommend something for dust control. Depends on your shop but proper dust control is really important. I personally just got a nice shopvac with a HEPA filter on it which will help quite a bit and for Christmas I think I’m gonna end up with a actual air filtration system.

I just one of these to help the filter on my shop vac clogging up so quickly  

Senneny Dust Collector Cyclone Separator Dust Collection Kit System for Woodworking Shop Vac Workshop (Black)

Haven't bought the bucket for it yet though.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

I find the disk sander I have (unfortunately not the Byrnes one) very useful. 

Also do you have the cross-cut sled for the saw? I'm using this a lot.

Richard

I really enjoy my disk sander as well, its not Byrnes one but does the job. As mentioned above a nice shop vac is a really nice thing to have, back in march Costco had a sale on really nice on a Dewalt shop vac that may have been 100 bucks. Here is the link it looks like its still only 100 but i use it every day i would say

https://www.costco.com/dewalt-10-gallon-wetdry-vacuum.product.100491610.html

Bradley

Edited by Keithbrad80

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

how about a miller, i recently bought the Proxxon MF-70

for myself, i dont need anything, so will go without this year i will purchase another build like the new CAF Grando, or the under development  Bluejacket (begins with a W)  but i may be ready by then to do the Triton scratch

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

The tool that I use by far the most in my shop Is my drill press.  I use it all the time.  I not only use for the projects that I build, I also use it to make the jigs and fixtures to make things.  The ability to drill an accurate, straight hole square to a surface is an essential factor in doing quality work.  As you get into metal work it becomes essential.

19 hours ago, ASAT said:

Is it loud? I would like a quieter one....

It’s probably as loud as any other shop vac. I do everything out of a 200 sqft shed in my back yard and I will run it in my shed without ear protection. They may be other options that are quieter though. 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

If you are scratch building and ripping your own planks and other parts, a Byres thickness sander is my vote.  Almost every thing that is sawn goes through the thickness sander as it is so accurate.      Dust is a major problem so a collection unit would be a great thing to have.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The Byrnes thickness sander is next on my list of "expensive" tools. However, that will also mean improving my dust collection system. Fein vacuum cleaners are supposed to be amongst the quietist, so that's on my list too. But there's also the space issue. One option I have considered is some good pre-planning and just using the sander outdoors as weather and season permits.

This is not a simple hobby 🤔

Richard

22 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

The tool that I use by far the most in my shop Is my drill press.  I use it all the time.  I not only use for the projects that I build, I also use it to make the jigs and fixtures to make things.  The ability to drill an accurate, straight hole square to a surface is an essential factor in doing quality work.  As you get into metal work it becomes essential.

I seem to use my mill for drill work and ended up getting rid of my drill press.  As for the most used in my shop.. either my model table saw or my scroll saw.   I barely use the lathe and the laser cutter seems to be used in "spurts".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

24 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

seem to use my mill for drill work and ended up getting rid of my drill press.  As for the most used in my shop.. either my model table saw or my scroll saw.   I barely use the lathe and the laser cutter seems to be used in "spurts".

This is encouraging as I think I’m going to skip the drill press and pick up a mill for double duty.

I am curious how you shape masts and dowels if not on your lathe? (And I used to think a laser cutter would be really handy... but I’m not certain that I still feel the same way, but I do know that I enjoy “toys” so I’d figure out something to do with it.

I currently have a dremel tool mounted on a dremel work station (drill press). My plan is to upgrade to a mill to replace the drill press. Seems to me you can drill with a mill but can't mill with a drill press.

Edited by CPDDET
change

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Full sized (1/2 in capacity chuck) bench mounted drill presses are inexpensive.  Almost every project that I tackle seems to include drilling holes.  I have a milling column that mounts on my Sherline lathe.  I also have the sensitive drilling attachment that is useful for drilling holes under 3/32in diameter.  For all other drilling including hole saws it is much quicker and easier to use the drill press.

Roger

Some of this depends on what you are trying to do.  Are you outfitting a shop where ship modeling will be part of what you want to do or you outfitting a shop to just build ship models?

In my case, I first bought full sized shop tools as funds became available- 10in table saw, 14in bandsaw, drill press, jointer, scroll saw.  With these tools I scratch built a plank on frame model and several other ship models.  I have also used  them for boat building and repair, for building several muzzleloading rifles and for all sorts of home construction projects.  

Much later when I had more money and fewer responsibilities I bought a Sherline lathe/milling column and Byrnes Saw, but I continue to enjoy the flexibility of full sized tools.

Much of the work done on ship models can be done with full sized tools but specialized model making tools don’t have the capacity for other work.

BTW Spars are easily made without a lathe.  Shape a square stick with the correct taper(s), plane it eight sided,  sand the eight sided stick to a round cross section.

Roger

On 11/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, Paul Jarman said:

An end to this horrible pandemic would be the best Christmas present.

Seconded

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

On 11/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, Kevin said:

how about a miller, i recently bought the Proxxon MF-70

for myself, i dont need anything, so will go without this year i will purchase another build like the new CAF Grando, or the under development  Bluejacket (begins with a W)  but i may be ready by then to do the Triton scratch

change of plans, the wife must be reading this, and actually asked me that question today

there is a few  caveats though, she wants me to build something that wont take 7 years, must be completed, and fit on a shelf, so that rules out @chris watton 1/48 Royal George 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

22 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

This is encouraging as I think I’m going to skip the drill press and pick up a mill for double duty.

I am curious how you shape masts and dowels if not on your lathe? (And I used to think a laser cutter would be really handy... but I’m not certain that I still feel the same way, but I do know that I enjoy “toys” so I’d figure out something to do with it.

For masts and when I turn cannon, I use the lathe.  Mostly it just sits there and glares at me for not using it.  The laser cutter has it's uses, but at this point on my current model, it's only been used for the bulkheads so far. But it'll get used again for things like gun carriages, many of the fittings, ship's boats, rudder, bow area, and few other things.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My first and most important wish is for this pandemic to go away. My second wish is if number 1 comes true that we all learn something from it and go forward with a better world.

Now if both of the above come true, my last wish is for a Byrnes sander. Got to add some greed in here somewhere.

Bob

Thanks for all the responses, very much appreciated. Because my shop is in the basement of our house I think I'm going to concentrate on dust collection for now.  I did have my eye on Byrne's thickness sander and his disc sander but I believe I need to control the amount of dust entering the house.

I do use a shop vac, which works OK, but I think I can do much better for not much of a significant investment.

And yes, I agree with those who wish this pandemic would come to an end.  Hopefully the new year will see life starting to slowly return to normal.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild