HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Thanks everyone.   All is well back in the shop after a minor disturbance in the force by a young lad.  Without too much detail, the model is repaired and I'm back to building.

I do have a question about deadeyes... is there a trick to getting these things into position?   After installing the deadeye and then the hardware, there needs to be pins put into place.  I'm having a devil of a time as the pins don't just press in but need pre-drilled holes.   How have you other ones done it?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Glenn.  That's what I use for the rigging.  I'm trying to sort how how fit the hardware to the hull.

Thanks, B.E.  I'm using the pin vice also.  Just having a devil of a time getting the hole in right position and thought maybe someone had a jig type of setup.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

27 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Just having a devil of a time getting the hole in right position

For Flirt I did it like BE described, with the plans, a pin vise, and eyeballing the angle.  For Cheerful I was a bit more exacting by inserting a fake mast with lines tied on, I ran those lines to match the plans then pre-drilled the holes based on those lines and finally glued the chain plates on with the standard little nails. It’s shown in my build log (post #496), if that helps. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Glenn.  I'll go have a look at how you did it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Bringing the log up to date after repairs.    I'm currently doing eyebolts for the guns and the four for the aft area of the cabin as time permits.   I'm using some my stash for the eyebots as they are round and not square in cross-section like the photo etched ones.  Just a personal preference.

As for deadeyes and probably any rigging itself...  I'm holding off on them until i get my eye exam.  My thought is that if I can't handle them and get them to look good, I'll not do them nor any rigging, and possibly not the guns.  Make the display an "as launched on launch day" with three stub masts and proper flags, no guns.  A bit up in the air at this point.  The rudder chains are bit long but I'll cut them back next time I turn her upside down.

Overall, I'm pretty happy where she sits at this point.  Not as perfect as I'd like but I can live with it.  Just noticed, this thing needs a good dusting.

1-62a.JPG.5fcbb5e9345cbbc154b4aa8d6338bb46.JPG1-62b.JPG.b369642a9c27d97c03c59dc37453b084.JPG1-62c.JPG.f1db2c7da672cb32ea5c111ded37c36e.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Your Sphinx is looking really nice Mark! It’s fun watching all these wonderful Sphinx builds come together.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Mark, it's nice to see you're enjoying your build. I think she looks great. 

Thanks for the likes and the comments.

3 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Whatever the repairs were, looks like you did a great job fixing them!  Your excellent work continues.

Thanks Glen.  The repair is on the side not shown.   At this point, that's the permanent wall side.  Much of the PE came off with some damaged and others that apparently went off into never-never land where they'll never be seen again.   I'm trying to talk myself into spending the money (about $100 total) on a new sheet of PE and then replace it.   Mental blcok I'm having I guess.

3 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Super good looking Brother! Eyes back to building strength? 👍

Not quite, Dave.  There's no prism in them and my eyes cross and go nuts after wearing them for more than an hour at a time.  

53 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Your Sphinx is looking really nice Mark! It’s fun watching all these wonderful Sphinx builds come together.

Thanks, Scrubby.  I wish some of those who are building this model and not doing a log would take the plunge and open a log.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

5 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I'm trying to talk myself into spending the money (about $100 total) on a new sheet of PE and then replace it.

Mark, I know it's hard to spend the $100.00 but you know you're not going to be happy unless you do. This is one of the cases where money CAN buy happiness. :)

5 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Mark, I know it's hard to spend the $100.00 but you know you're not going to be happy unless you do. This is one of the cases where money CAN buy happiness. :)

Deep down, I know you are right.  For now, I'll just be pouty and stubborn.  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice work Mark  - very nice Indeed.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I’m glad you’re back at it, hopefully enjoying the process. Even if you go admiralty style with it I’d encourage you to include the deadeyes and guns as your eyes permit. The ship will look much more complete that way. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

20 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Just noticed, this thing needs a good dusting.

I swear, these models are dust magnets!

She'll look great if you decided to go admiralty style, Mark. Glad you're back in your shipyard plugging away.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Life seems to be getting in the way, but progress is happening.  Here's a handy tool if you decide to go with after market eyebolts either on this kit or any others.  I've had it around for long time.   Basically, it's a thin piece of dowel with a old micro-drill bit of the proper size needed put into a drilled out hole at one one.   It's secured with a drop of CA.  If it needs replacing, a quick dip in acetone and it's out.  To use, put it though a port on one side of the ship with the bit reaching to the port on the opposite side.  Hand turn the tool and you have a hole.   Repeat as needed for all the holes you need for gunport hardware.

The blue tape is my depth stop so I don't drill completely through the hull.

I had to use the macro setting for the lower picture so it's partially out of focus.  And yes, paint needs touching up.

DSCF3441.JPG.dcaddf223d05f51c795bcd897ccecbe0.JPG

DSCF3439.thumb.JPG.e5d1175f319665818b41894eecb33ee7.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

34 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Here's a handy tool if you decide to go with after market eyebolts either on this kit or any others.  I've had it around for long time.   Basically, it's a thin piece of dowel with a old micro-drill bit of the proper size needed put into a drilled out hole at one one.   It's secured with a drop of CA.  If it needs replacing, a quick dip in acetone and it's out.  To use, put it though a port on one side of the ship with the bit reaching to the port on the opposite side.  

I thought about just doing a "like", but thought you'd miss my point. This is a great idea. Thanks, Mark!

Tom

Interesting week so far in the shipyard.  I was picking up some more paint at the hobby shop and talking with the clerk.  We were discussing a lot of model stuff as he does aircraft and tanks.   Turns out, he's "playing" with PE... making it and made an offer I couldn't refuse.   Short version.... I paid for some brass sheets, got him the drawings on the PE I needed.  I just picked up the bits and it looks like it will all work.  So they're being painted and then I'll install them.   Only one piece he wasn't happy with.  I didn't see the result of that piece but it's a very small one.  Pictures to follow once the PE is installed and I'm happy with the repairs to the damaged side.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

2 hours ago, Dsmith20639 said:

PE ?

Yes, Carvings on the hull and stern are all PE.  Photo Etch.  Rather thin and delicate stuff.  If you go to the Vanguard Models site (link on the front page, right side of it and near the bottom) you can download the instruction manual.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

And, breathes a sigh of relief, repairs have been completed.   The replacement PE went well.   There's one piece by friend is still struggling with but from here, it's not that big a deal.  

The eyebolts for the guns are super tiny to me but doing one port at a time with heavy magnification, I'll get them done.  It's also encouraging me to give the deadeyes and their hardware another go.

DSCF3442.JPG.d649f08640267424d5ceffe1dfff9541.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: