HMS Bellona by yvesvidal - CAF Model - 1:48

Great accomplishment, Yves! What a beautiful job.

Ian

Congratulations on a beautiful model! I'm stunned that you have made her into a coffee table. That wouldn't survive the weekend here after a grandchildren visit.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Amazing work Yves! And beautifully displayed!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Congratulations. It has been great watching you work through this build.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Well done sailor, very very well done.

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Nicely done Yves! Quite the project you’ve taken on. Very nice display! Inspiring me to work on my Portland further. 

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Wow, that´s a fantastic build you finished there. I only now stumbled into the log and have to dig a bit further, but what you have achieved looks fantastic in every aspect. I liked the front pic especially with the perfect coppering showing.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   
                             Shelby Cobra Coupe by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/12 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9

What a superb model! It's been a real pleasure to follow your magnificent work. The result is well worth the time invested. Congratulations!

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Syren Ship Model - 1:48

The ensign is finally in place:

P8110028.thumb.JPG.6a807b43973247b728e040ae92f4e950.JPG

CAF Model provides a nice fabric printed flag that I attached to a rope and staff. A few more pictures of the vessel before coming to a temporary conclusion:

P8110029.thumb.JPG.ef0c345b8a2ce6020832be3e4a80e5c3.JPG

P8110031.thumb.JPG.15331402fe686733264f36c4c0da6394.JPG

I tried to capture the immensity of these vessels, when compared to human beings: the two figures are in the 1/48th scale and are measuring about 1.70 meter (5'8") which is most likely a good height for people in the XVIII century. The hat is probably higher....

P8110032.thumb.JPG.3968ad98f6de420778f72e5ff925880d.JPG

P8110033.thumb.JPG.bc88e037c635118132b82b34b0a83e5b.JPG

P8110034.thumb.JPG.961f66c616edfbcffd6d8572e4e8dfa2.JPG

P8110035.thumb.JPG.8ee0899ea53c78d3cbc8a0f58dabe410.JPG

P8110036.thumb.JPG.c2feafdcfe678bbbdb42035d7d06f0ba.JPG

P8110037.thumb.JPG.a41b7edd78c6ce588b402c690d142c32.JPG

It is time to watch Bellona sail away while other projects await us. We will revisit this project in the future, for sure. My partner complains that there are no sails....

Below are pictures of a large box containing all the wooden "sprues" that I used along these five sessions of the model building. I really hate to throw away all this nice wood as it is precious in a way, but most notably because of the memories that are attached to it.

P8090026.thumb.JPG.b0de8690d8fec94ad70e094f461074e6.JPG

P8090027.thumb.JPG.ecb39cc83cebaa14156ffa4915d17712.JPG

I really enjoyed building this "master piece" (according to CAF Model...) of a ship, and may build another ship from CAF, in the future. I have expressed my complaints all along this Build Log (the main one being the lack of written instructions) but I may focus now on the main positive points about building a CAF model:

• The kit is organized in Sessions, allowing you to not spend all your savings in one shot and to give you a chance to test the waters, so to speak. And that is exactly what I did with Session #1. After trying it, being successful and really enjoying it, purchasing the other sessions made perfect sense.
  • The fantastic support provided by CAF Model owner "Tom". When a part did not fit or when something was missing, Tom was responding immediately to my requests and shipping free of charge, all that I needed. Tom even provided me with some spare parts that had been improved during the time it took me to build the kit. I am not aware of any Manufacturers (With the exception of Syren and Chuck) responding so quickly and diligently to all my requests (parts or instructions).

I would encourage modelers to give a try to a CAF model. This ship was my second ship and planked hull (the first one being the Emma from Model Shipways) and I would not have been able to finish it if the kit was not properly designed. There are some tricks and I would encourage potential builders to read carefully my notes on this thread.

It has been a great experience and I may do it again, in the future. I also wanted to thank all the viewers who provided me with encouragement and support during the building of this big kit. Without your optimism and interest, I may have given up at times.

Yves

Fantastic build.

I personally regret not seeing it masted and rigged, but I also understand the amount of work involved in that. 

Love the finish and scale people.

Congratulations on finishing it!

Not only is your model simply stunning but remarkable as well given that it was only your second model ship build. Wow!

I couldn't help notice the high end stereo equipment in the photos as well....speakers, amps, turntable. I'd love to know what your set up is.  

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild