Syren Ship Model Company News, Updates and Info.....(part 2)

The hooks are the total length…including the eye.

blocks are in development.  I am not sure about 2mm.  I can make them but they are so small it is a product with a very limited audience.  The larger sizes will be made first.

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

...blocks are in development. 

Great work on the hooks, Chuck! Nice to see you "back at it"!  Keeping an eye on the blocks announcement. 👍

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting closer .....mass production of CNC blocks...I apologize for my lack of inventory for so long but we are perfecting the process.  I havent had blocks in stock for months.  It shouldnt be long now.  I want to be able to bring you the best CNC blocks possible at a ridiculously low price.   A lot lower than you might even imagine.   My rope is the cheapest available for the quality and lengths available.   I am hoping to do the same with some superior blocks in Boxwood and Swiss pear.  Automated so I can concentrate on my ship model projects like Speedwell.  I cant tell you how long and hard this R&D process has been.  So many experiments and so many failures.   Successes are few but we learn from every failed batch made.   I wish I could explain what goes into figuring this stuff out.  Lots of time and lots of money.

Hot out of the oven before polishing and tumbling.  Sorry for the lack of inventory but it will be so worth the wait it I promise.

image.png.c7e825f4569fcdf1f06b4fda6bf9b32f.jpg

image.png.f8375d6b43a657d31b1a91eb91dd45de.png

Looking great, Chuck!  Can't imagine how much work it takes to create such quality blocks.

I have this page/thread on "notification" and will order my awesomely superior supply of blocks (and deadeyes, too?) as soon as I see your GO post.  I don't need a lot of them, but will you have some 7MM triple blocks in your inventory?  Thanks!

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Just an FYI

I am headed on a short roadtrip tomorrow.  Nothing fancy…headed to Niagara Falls with the Mrs.  Never been there so why not take a ride and scartch it off the bucket list.

I will be closing the online store in the morning…but it will be back open on Wednesday.  I should be back in my shop a few days later.

Have a great road trip, Chuck.  About time you got away from the shop and all the related activities.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@Chuck  make sure you take a side trip to Buffalo's Canalside and Naval Park for a tour of USS The Sullivans and USS Little Rock. Enjoy the trip.  

Great to hear your getting some time to your self. Wave when you go by!😄

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

On 6/13/2023 at 8:38 PM, Chuck said:

I am getting closer .....mass production of CNC blocks...I apologize for my lack of inventory for so long but we are perfecting the process.  I havent had blocks in stock for months.  It shouldnt be long now.  I want to be able to bring you the best CNC blocks possible at a ridiculously low price.   A lot lower than you might even imagine.   My rope is the cheapest available for the quality and lengths available.   I am hoping to do the same with some superior blocks in Boxwood and Swiss pear.  Automated so I can concentrate on my ship model projects like Speedwell.  I cant tell you how long and hard this R&D process has been.  So many experiments and so many failures.   Successes are few but we learn from every failed batch made.   I wish I could explain what goes into figuring this stuff out.  Lots of time and lots of money.

Hot out of the oven before polishing and tumbling.  Sorry for the lack of inventory but it will be so worth the wait it I promise.

image.png.c7e825f4569fcdf1f06b4fda6bf9b32f.jpg

image.png.f8375d6b43a657d31b1a91eb91dd45de.png

These blocks looks fantastic Chuck. I'm looking forward to the updated stock! Have a nice and safe trip to the NF, enjoy!

Edited by Katsumoto

• 1 month later...

Some of you guys may have noticed the announcement on my website about the ropewalk availability.  Its been a while.   Long story short,  yet another supplier who discontinued making all the gears and all of the hubs and hardware I used to make the ropewalks.  No warning...they just discontinued them.

But fear not....I have sourced new gears and hubs and hardware.  Of course they are a different pitch diameter and with a different hole configuration etc.  Basically I had to redesign the entire ropewalk.  It is essentially the same machine as the size of all the parts just changed.   But new drawings and files were needed.

I did make the Rope Rocket a bit taller in this new version 2.0.   I also added some bearings.  This makes for a quieter machine and imagine it will also extend its life.  Although nobody makes as much rope as I do on these things.  In fact I am still using my 8 year old version 1.0 machine and its still kicking after hundreds of miles of rope.

I am putting the new version 2.0 Rope Rocket through its paces right now.  Its all going rather well.  Like I said its the same basic machine.  The gears are about 2mm larger in diameter this time.  Here is a pic of a freshly made machine.  I must write new instructions.

ropeV2fin.jpg

You can still swap to a 4 strand rope as well just like the original.  These two pics show the bearings in position which makes for a smoother ride.

ropeV2bearings.jpg

ropeV2bearings2.jpg

So if you were waiting for the new V2 Rope Rocket,  it wont be long now.  I just have to write the new assembly instructions and make a bunch of them.

Same great taste!!!  You really wouldnt notice any change if you dont have both versions.   Makes pretty fantastic looking rope....same operating instructions.  slightly different assembly instructions.

The downside....its $8 more expensive than the original version 1.0....Of course it is, LOL  

That just couldn't be avoided in this day and age.  Supply chains is a real tough nut these days.

And yes I kept the fun imagery of the Rocket on the back side of this version.    I didnt bother adding a finish to this v 2.0 test but its the same beautiful solid cherry.  Maybe I will give it a coat of wipe on poly....but mine will get bloody filthy in a few weeks anyways.  So it doesnt matter.

ropeV2fin1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys …

Just a heads up.  I am currently in the last phase of major renovations at my home and shop.  One of the last things to be done is to update and replace all of the electric in my almost 150 year mess of a house.  I must remove the knob and tube wiring.  

So without any electric for a few days I have to shut down the online store and shop.  I wont be able to process orders.  

They say two and maybe 3 days max.  ,LOL.  

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Its a shame because I am now in the process of removing basically intact vintage wallpaper in my dining room.  New wood floors going in today as well.  So the shop hasnt been too busy.  I cant easily work in there to replace stuff thats out of stock.

The place is an absolute mess at the moment.

See you guys when I come out the other end of this mess.

A mess….trying to restore as much as possible.  We have the coffered ceiling too but sadly that may have to go.

It has been pretty sucky this week but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.  All just to sell it in the spring!!!  No more old houses for me.  Too old for this stuff.  Plaster walls are a real mess.  Again sorry for the delays restocking stuff.

IMG_1066.jpegIMG_1065.jpeg

Sorta like my grandparents home in Garfield. I remember the banging steam heat lines, before they updated the systems. Good luck with this extensive remodel.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

A mess….trying to restore as much as possible.  We have the coffered ceiling too but sadly that may have to go.

It has been pretty sucky this week but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.  All just to sell it in the spring!!!  No more old houses for me.  Too old for this stuff.  Plaster walls are a real mess.  Again sorry for the delays restocking stuff.

IMG_1066.jpegIMG_1065.jpeg

Looks like the perfect place to display ship models.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Chuck, you have no need to apologize.  Haven't we said here on MSW that family comes first?   You do have a massive project going on there and I'm in awe of it.  Just be careful and don't hurt yourself.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

17 hours ago, Chuck said:

A mess….trying to restore as much as possible.  

Hi Chuck

Is this down the shore at LBI?  As happy as we are to have moved to SW Florida, we miss the Jersey shore.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thats where we will eventually be.  The Admiral has me down there on weekends looking at potential new houses.  With a little luck we will find a place where I can drop a few lines in the water in the early morning….and haul up some fresh crabs for lunch.  

its the Beach or bay in my future.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Thats where we will eventually be.  The Admiral has me down there on weekends looking at potential new houses.  With a little luck we will find a place where I can drop a few lines in the water in the early morning….and haul up some fresh crabs for lunch.  

its the Beach or bay in my future.

Aim SW then, or NW… south FL is an absolute zoo! 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Chuck, PNW (Pacific NorthWest) is a wonderful area to consider. Rich in history as well. And less crowdy than Florida.....

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

3 minutes ago, druxey said:

LBI? PNW? Could you translate for us forriners, please!

LBI is Long Beach Island New Jersey,  Barnegat Lighthouse is located at the northern tip.

PNW is Pacific Northwest, Oregon, Washington State, maybe Northern California 

Edited by Jack12477

The Pacific Northwest is pretty easy living.  We escape (mostly) most of the natural disasters the rest of the U.S. has to contend with, and it's pretty laid back.  

Alan

Gotta stay where the kids and family are…

So the beach or near Long Beach Island New Jersey.

But on the Bay side…Cant afford the ocean side for folks who know the area.

Its very pretty and stress free…unless a hurricane hits, LOL.

Just one of the areas we are looking…but essentially wherever the admiral decides…as long as I have a workshop I am happy.  They liked this one but they change their minds a lot each time we look.  I just go wherever they tell me drive..LOL

IMG_1067.webp

IMG_1068.webp

12 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Just one of the areas we are looking…

Looks awesome, Chuck!  I should probably order those blocks and deadeyes sooner than later before they all end up in boxes for the move! 

Gregg

11 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Aim SW then, or NW… south FL is an absolute zoo! 

Hi Scrubby

Chuck will have a very nice small town atmosphere off season, even if it can be a bit crowded in the summer months.  Still, an absolutely beautiful part of the country.   Most things are comparative.  From someone who has been living in southwest Florida for 8 years, I would respectfully argue your point.  But this is coming from someone that lived in NJ and worked in both NJ and Manhattan where it is a bit crowded. 😀   

Bend Oregon, 100K people.  Ave Maria, FL 33K people.   Not what I would call a zoo.😀

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU