Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat by ccoyle - FINISHED - WAK - 1/33 - CARD

Ahoy!

Well, it is time to start a new build log. For those of you who might be saying, "Hey, don't you already have, like, three other unfinished builds in progress?", I will simply observe that what you say is true, but I'm starting a new log anyway, so there! Anyways, I haven't been doing much modeling lately because I have a six-month-old, very active puppy, and for that same reason I may not make speedy progress on this model, either, but we'll see.

The Subject

The subject of this log is Leroy Grumman's famous F4F-4 Wildcat. I won't go into too much detail about this airplane, because if you are reading this then you are probably sufficiently airplane nerdy to already have a good grasp of the Wildcat's place in history. It will suffice here to say that the Wildcat was America's front-line, carrier-borne fighter for the first year-and-a-half of the country's war against Japan. Although the Wildcat is frequently compared unfavorably with the Mitsubishi A6M 'Zero', I think it is fair to say that the Wildcat, when flown to its strengths by a skilled aviator, could hold its own in a scrap with the Japanese fighter. You can read more about the Wildcat here.

The Kit

The kit is a brand new offering from the Polish firm of WAK. In fact, at the time of this writing the kit is still listed as 'NEW' on the company's website. This will actually be the first time I have ever worked on a hot-off-the-press kit, so you should all feel fortunate to be among the first to see one of these being built -- perhaps not likely to be among the first to see one finished, but close enough. The kit is designed by Jerzy Janukowicz, with artwork by Marcin Dworzecki, who is famous in the card modeling world for his work done for Kartonowy Arsenal (Halinski). Let's have a look, shall we?

The kit depicts the personal mount of the famous Lt. Cdr. John S. "Jimmy" Thach, the man who perfected the "Thach weave," a combat tactic that allowed a Wildcat pilot and his wingman to get a drop on the more maneuverable Zero. As you can see in the photo, I also have the laser-cut frames for the kit. Now, I took a bit of a gamble by not buying a canopy for this kit, since I already had one on hand, albeit for the ancient Halinski F4F-3 kit. I'm not aware of any changes made by Grumman to the canopy for the dash-4, so I'm cautiously optimistic that the dash-3 canopy will fit.

F4F01.thumb.jpg.18bc0c65b910280a2743a793c9cee0ca.jpg

Lots of lovely diagrams.

F4F02.thumb.jpg.5699a732b391a7ac353c5cdeddf6ad10.jpg

And beautiful graphics. Don't be alarmed by the printed wheels -- there's an option to build the kit wheels-up, which I will probably not elect to build.

F4F03.thumb.jpg.d81cc774bf8654e780137957501efcdf.jpg

F4F05.thumb.jpg.58b61c932009aac395cad0509f7e5248.jpg

The back cover has pictures of the prototype model.

F4F06.thumb.jpg.900cc2b9308f675e6a716ad0c16da8aa.jpg

A nice touch in this kit is the inclusion of instructions in English.

To wrap up this introduction, I thought you all might like to see a little comparison of this kit with the older Halinski F4F-3 kit published in 1998.

F4FHalinski01.thumb.jpg.c16d37f663052e42f7772596ebe1c192.jpg

F4FHalinski02.thumb.jpg.4cb9517da499c18f18bd06d8fa67d19f.jpg

A side-by-side view of the graphics (I don't believe Marcin did the art for this Halinski kit) reveals the nearly complete lack of weathering on the older kit (at left). The difference in detail is even more stark for the cockpit interiors (not shown) -- the older kit has almost no three-dimensional details at all.

F4F Halinski vs WAK.jpg

Well, that's it for the introduction -- hope to get started soon!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Wouldn't miss this for the world...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

13 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

This is going to be a small monster at that scale.

Not so much a monster as the F6F I built last year. This one should have about a 2 in. shorter wingspan. It may actually fit on a shelf!

Speaking of shelves, part of the reason I picked this one as my next project is the appalling lack of American aircraft on display in my man cave. I have only completed two American-built planes, and neither of them is wearing American markings! 😮  That needs to be remedied!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looking forward to seeing this!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Not so much a monster as the F6F I built last year. This one should have about a 2 in. shorter wingspan. It may actually fit on a shelf!

Wait till you get to the P-38, that is a monster....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Wait till you get to the P-38, that is a monster....

That's literally why I have never gone out of my way to purchase a P-38 kit. 😆  But I have caved in to temptation in the past by acquiring big birds like the Whirlwind, Tempest, and P-47. Not exactly sure where I will display them when I get around to building them, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

That's literally why I have never gone out of my way to purchase a P-38 kit

Then I guess you really don't want to see anything like this...

B-17

Now that IS a monster....

(I have the plastic HK version, they are HUGE)

Quote:

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

That's literally why I have never gone out of my way to purchase a P-38 kit. 😆  But I have caved in to temptation in the past by acquiring big birds like the Whirlwind, Tempest, and P-47. Not exactly sure where I will display them when I get around to building them, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I did the Halinski P-47 a few years back and upscaled it to 1:20.  I had to put up a special shelf.  😀  Crazy

Edited by rlwhitt

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

First cuts 'n' glues. I've never built a kit like this that has the wing spars as part and parcel of the cockpit framing -- just seems to me like a good way to snap the spars off accidentally. But I will try to be extra careful moving forward. As I said earlier, the Wildcat is not as beefy as the Hellcat, but it's still bigger than I had imagined. The next -cat I build will have to be the relatively diminuitive Bearcat. But don't get your hopes up -- I don't actually have one in my stash.

F4F07.thumb.jpg.20b14164cd57e41d7ec4e17edde1f8d7.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

following along as well.....very nice start :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Got a smidge done so far -- cockpit bits. The intermediate-level nature of the kit is evidenced by the mix of 3-D detail parts and plain 2-D printed surfaces. No provision is made for glazing the instrument panel.

F4F08.thumb.jpg.f945bab2e11de58a962183be8148610f.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Great start Chris!  Looking forward to seeing  what you do with these kits.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Unless you scratch built the control panel with all the levers… it’s easy to see the quality differences in kits available. The P-40 I’m working on has no where near the level of detail this kit has.

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

5 hours ago, Dave_E said:

it’s easy to see the quality differences in kits available

To be clear, it's not a quality issue with this kit. The kit is purposely designed for intermediate modelers, therefore its detail level is not that of a Halinski or Card Army kit, but the quality has been fine so far.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

With the cockpit closed up, it's time to start skinning the forward fuselage, beginning with the wheel wells. I'm now committed to eventually building the Wildcat's nightmarish landing gear. 😬  To this point, I've been following the sequence of diagrams pretty closely, but for anyone who decides to build this kit later, it's a good idea to add the flat skins of the wheel wells before gluing the frames together. You can still do it afterwards, but it's a little trickier, because that central girder is part of one of the frames, and it clearly gets in the way.

f4f12.thumb.jpg.39d92363fd90c3b282e7b85090e1b137.jpg

Then we have the first two fuselage skins added. Fit and registration has been good, although there seems to have been a deliberate omission of certain joiner strips. I added homemade ones -- no biggie.

f4f13.thumb.jpg.7543fc5794f1e39bbbb0ee4a5bf30632.jpg

There's a very slight color mismatch between the second and third skins, but strangely enough it's only on one side. The parts came from the same sheet, too, so it's kind of weird. But the difference is not as noticeable as it was for the GPM Hellcat kit, so I won't complain. Once again, the fit for this part was very good.

f4f14.thumb.jpg.685799382b739db9ecd76cc1e0ca8a69.jpg

I then decided to skip ahead a bit and add some of the wing skeleton parts, just to stiffen up the spindly spars a bit. They were beginning to get uncomfortably wobbly from being jostled around. Interestingly, there are multiple errors in the numbering of these parts between the diagrams and the laser-cut frets. This hasn't been an issue so far because it's pretty obvious which parts are which and where they're supposed to go.

f4f15.thumb.jpg.084e7753f164c4bfd96d9363e792d338.jpg

That's all for now!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Framing for dorsal hump and vertical stabilizer has been added -- calling it a night. Not all of the transverse bulkheads come up to the height of the dorsal profile piece; I'm not sure what the deal is there, but I'll find out once I start adding the skins.

f4f18.thumb.jpg.2513fa7a122b22a8c9a994d2ac3c0078.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco