Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat by ccoyle - FINISHED - WAK - 1/33 - CARD

The P-38 would only have an 18” wingspan.

Definitely hangable.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

9 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Absolutely, I hang the outsized stuff I build, in the workshop/garage.

I'm fairly certain that any hanging of models anywhere in my house or garage will negatively impact my marital bliss. 😮

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Maybe you could get a new wing dedicated to house the CCoyle Conservatory for the Advancment of Modern Art and History . 😁😁😁😁😇

26 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Maybe you could get a new wing dedicated to house the CCoyle Conservatory for the Advancment of Modern Art and History .

I already get enough push-back on the 'man cave' status of the bonus room where I do my work. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Don't forget rule #1, mates: Happy wife, happy life! Else you'll be living in a foxhole or doghouse.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

she coming along really good Chris.........you've got such a knack for these models! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

14 cylinders x 15 parts per cylinder = 210 parts. 🤪

f4f35.jpg.f00887cdb96cbd062893d1a864b45390.jpg

So far I have cut out 70 parts and assembled 32 of them.

To be continued . . .

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Small problem -- the indicated part does not exist (34d is just an edge strip), neither as a printed part, a laser-cut element, nor even a numbered part in the diagram. Strange. Gonna have to mull this one over a bit -- the needed part is too big to conveniently cut out with my hole punch.

Inkedf4f36.jpg.ace5482543cfeaaceba9a1978da61790.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

47 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Is it even a part? Are parts 34 b c and d meant to form a hollow tube with part 34  e meant to be a capping piece?

Andy

Nope. 34e is the base for the cylinder heads and is narrower in diameter than the missing part, as indicated by the lighter circle inside the dark ring on the missing piece. Obviously, the head assembly has to sit on something, but the something isn't anywhere to be found in the kit. This is a first for me.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

9 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Nope. 34e is the base for the cylinder heads and is narrower in diameter than the missing part, as indicated by the lighter circle inside the dark ring on the missing piece. Obviously, the head assembly has to sit on something, but the something isn't anywhere to be found in the kit. This is a first for me.

Hmm… I guess you could try some appropriate diameter styrene rod perhaps?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

12 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Small problem -- the indicated part does not exist (34d is just an edge strip), neither as a printed part, a laser-cut element, nor even a numbered part in the diagram. Strange. Gonna have to mull this one over a bit -- the needed part is too big to conveniently cut out with my hole punch.

I don't see the problem brother....

34, 34a & 34A, #34 is rolled and 34A lazercut is inserted into it's end with 34a capping the cylinder boss....

34b, c, d & e, b,c & d are rolled and slid into each other forming the cylinders with e capping the end....

2 Parts f form the cylinder head they are rolled then glued together and then Part 34G lazercuts are inserted into the rocker openings with part 34g as the cap for the rocker covers...

Am I missing something?

Parts f are edge glued to part e... that's why part e has the line across them to locate the head halves... Part e is the cap to the cylinder with the line guiding the head placement... So the question becomes what shapes the base of the head halves once they are formed and glued together? 

As I see it you can use part e as the base of the heads and insert a short rod of something suitable to fill the cylinders parts b,c &e...

They might have missed a part when designing the lasercut sheets... the cylinder head base...

A simple rod filling the cylinders eliminates the problem...

That's the way it makes sense to me as I envision the assembly...

In fact, looking at it a second time, once you insert lasercut parts 34G into the rocker holes you won't have enough space in the remaining volume of the head for anything else.... your forced to edge glue the head onto the cylinder cap....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

3 minutes ago, Egilman said:

34b, c, d & e, b,c & d are rolled and slid into each other forming the cylinders with e capping the end....

Nope. E is the base for the two cylinder heads and fits inside the smaller shaded circle on the un-numbered, missing part.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Nope. E is the base for the two cylinder heads and fits inside the smaller shaded circle on the un-numbered, missing part.

Maybe it's just me brother, but looking at the parts and the diagram it looks like e is the same size as the rolled d... But then I'm only a technical illustrator, not a paper modeler...

If it is supposed to fit inside the rolled b,c & d, then it is one heck of an illustration drawing mistake... b & c have lines which show where they are to be glued to each other creating a tapered shape with d wrapping the end creating a lip on the end of the cylinder... what your going to have is a tube with a flat end that is the thickness of three paper tubes... They wouldn't have left that as a bare exposed end, they would have covered it to hide the cut end to make them look uniform and flat...

looking at the parts, 34a is much closer to the size of the inside of the cylinder tube b and 34e is much closer to the outside size of cylinder tube d... In my opinion of course...

Not trying to argue here my friend, your a lot more experienced in interpreting paper model instructions than I... It doesn't make any sense looking at the actual parts and the exploded parts drawing...

Now I'll bow out... it's got to go together some way....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Update....

just want to point something out my friend, the next step shows the configuration of the head to the cylinder Rys 26...

F4F02.jpg.5a7bf5cb4358c97daf21439f519282b8(1).jpg.aa727caf179541ffe34eb1d6d7e456de.jpg

Sorry for the small size, but the black line between the head and cylinder, (red arrow) represents the position of part 34e after the assembly step (Rys) 25... It appears that we are both right, 34e is the base of the head, but it completely covers the outer rim of 34d... which means there wouldn't be an inside part that fits inside 34b....

Not belaboring the point my friend, just looking for an explanation in an effort to help...

Quote:

Trust me, folks, I have pored over the parts sheets and diagrams multiple times, and I have built many radial engines from paper. The indicated part is missing. I will figure out a way around this issue, and when I do, you'll all be the first to know. 😉 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Okay, mystery solved -- and boy do I feel a little sheepish about the whole episode! It turns out there is no missing disk. Instead, part 34d wraps three times around the top of the cylinder formed by 34c. Derp!!

f4f37.jpg.1fae907c87fcb0ff5d1bbac9266450f1.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Don't beat yourself up, Chris.  Sometimes, stuff happens or isn't clear in the instructions.  I think we've all been there at least once or twice or more.  I know have multiple times.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Sometimes, stuff happens or isn't clear in the instructions.  I think we've all been there at least once or twice or more.  I know have multiple times.

Amen.... more times than I care to count for me...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Okay, mystery solved -- and boy do I feel a little sheepish about the whole episode! It turns out there is no missing disk. Instead, part 34d wraps three times around the top of the cylinder formed by 34c.

Had to be something like that brother, I will say they could have been a bit clearer in mentioning it rather than letting people pull their hair out... Didn't mean to offend...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Once again making only very slow progress on the cylinders. I can only do a few parts at a time before the monotony shuts down my will to live. 😑  So far I have finished three cylinders and started the cylinder heads on the remaining eleven. Anyways, while I'm at it I thought I'd try adding some extra detail to the basic engine, using the accompanying Wikipedia image as a reference:

twinwasp.jpg.63a3f997bb29441aa1ccfa2b6473cc3f.jpg

I will only be adding a few extra bits, but I might take a crack at the spark plug wires, since they are one feature that is rather obvious in the photo. The coloring of the kit engine also differs from the real thing on a number of points, e.g., the valve covers being brown in the kit but silver in the image. I think the colors seen here are much more visually interesting, although I'm fully aware that this is a bright and shiny display engine and not a tired and weathered service engine.

One thing I need to determine before installing the engine (eventually), and I'm certain that at least one person in my audience will know the answer to this question, is which cylinder goes in the 12 o'clock position. The kit diagram shows a front row cylinder in the 12 o'clock position, but the image above, as well as others I have seen online, appear to show a back row cylinder in that position. What can you guys tell me about this?

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

#8 goes straight down... That would be the front rank cylinder directly opposite the Propeller Governor Drive which is on top of the gear housing...

Pratt Whitney R-1830-75 -98 Service Instructions.pdf

P W R-1830 Twin Wasp Maintenance Manual.pdf

Yes #1 would be the upward cylinder on the back rank... 

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

• 2 weeks later...

More engine progress. I have added the rear bank of cylinders to the crankcase (BTW, I'm not a mechanic nor mechanically inclined, so my engine terminology is limited). To see what extra detailing I have added so far, you can compare the detailed cylinders to the basic kit cylinder on the left. The front cover on the crankcase and all of the bolt heads are extras, as is the little blue daub of paint, which represents the Pratt & Whitney badge (no, I'm not gonna super-detail the badge -- don't be insane!!). Next step will be adding the push rods to the rear cylinders.

f4f39.jpg.0fdbe7937d30e5e22c6ee47ae104e2c9.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Respectfully INSANE! Your part of a very small community of modeler’s that can turn out this level of perfection, in this scale, in card! 👍😀👏

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

10 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

So…. For your next card airplane build you’ll be doing something with an in-line engine? 😜

They do seem to follow one of these radial-engined birds for some reason. 🤔

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco