Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

moving along quite nicely Mark........planking is looking sweet!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the comments and "likes".

Just a small (by MSW standards) but a big one for me.  Sadly, I forgot to take pictures during this process as my mind was on the process and not much else.

I lined off the hull starting a frame 20 (dead flat) and then went fore and aft from there at every 4th frame.  At the dead flat, I needed 27 strakes to cover the hull, at the sternpost, 27 also with a dip to 25 a couple frames in front of the stern post.  At the bow... 18.  Note that these are "full width" measurements.   I grabbed the planking fan and began lining it off bow to sternpost based on "27 planks" and realized I should be able to plank without stealers or drop planks..  Happy dance...post-76-0-93100200-1438726269.gif

My next step was to lay some battens (3 on each side) and check the run... looks good but I needed to tweak the lining off a bit.

I've since pulled off the battens and the garboard plank and started planking.  I'm working from the wales toward the garboard.  I made this choice based my feelings that I can use the wiggle room provided by the extra-wide garboard for adjustment if my planking doesn't quite match the lines.  

Back to sawdust, planking and trying not to overthink this too much. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

Been following along from afar and enjoying hitting the like button.  Your Licorne is looking just wonderful...the patience and dedication that goes into these expert, fully framed scratch builds simply astonishes me.

Great news that you may not need any drops or stealers, though if they end up being required, I think they also make a nice detail.

One question, are you planning to fully plank the hull on both sides or leave some of your beautiful framing details visible? Just wondering as you mentioned you placed battens on both sides to check the runs. 

Cheers,

Nigel.

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mark,

One question, are you planning to fully plank the hull on both sides or leave some of your beautiful framing details visible? Just wondering as you mentioned you placed battens on both sides to check the runs. 

Cheers,

Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

Fully planked both sides.  Admiralty orders.   :)   The battens have been removed and planking is progressing.

Pictures are proof ... Hmmm, I wonder ... did he or didn't he do it ... did he just buy time ... ;):P

Carl...  oh yeah...he did it.  A lot of fussing and agonizing going on as well as some real-world distractions. 

Stay tuned.... we'll see where this goes.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

But we know it's there.  And perhaps kept some photos.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

You know mark it's such a shame to cover up such beautiful detail but to have an open sided ship also to me looks strange the knowledge of knowing the ship is built with such love and detail will spur your heart on to make grander undertakings She looks great best of luck to you

Fantastic workmanship.I love to see all the models  posted here.

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

• 2 weeks later...

A minor milepost in the overall build but a major one for me...

Six strakes have been added and to check how the tuck planking went, I taped the sternpost into position and took a few extra shots.   Roughly sanded (sorry about the sawdust) and there's some gaps need filling.  Overall, I'm feeling pretty good at this point.  At the stern area, I'm off by about 3" (scale) which could be tolerance buildup or one side was of the transoms was off by that much.  I'm thinking it has more to do with some tolerance buildup and the angle the planks came into tuck.  The bow is about 2" (scale) off.   

I do like the way the lines are shaping up with planking.

I need to re-mark off the hull and re-check the measurements and then do a few more strakes before putting the garboard back on.  And sand, sand, sand.... <cough><cough>:  Luckily the air filter system I've added to the workshop is doing it's job.

post-76-0-69875700-1440137696_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-42390500-1440137712_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-62660600-1440137719_thumb.jpg

Comments, questions, abuse is always allowed.  Ok.. maybe not the abuse part...  ;)

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

beautiful lines Mark,

trust These full curves are characteristic for the French design of that period

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

She start talking, Mark !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Coming along nicely, Mark. Try to resist doing too much sanding until planking is complete.

What do you mean by '3" off'? Do you mean creep or cumulative error compared to your lining off of the planking runs? You can easily correct this by either making remaining strakes fractionally wider or narrower to compensate. Just don't let this become a big issue when it comes down to the last strake!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Nice work, Mark.  You are really getting the hang of planking and spiling.  

I completely agree with Druxey - go slow when correcting plank runs.  Take at least three strakes to fill in a dip or level a hump.  No one will be able to see the incremental difference, which they could if you try to fix a problem all at once.

Congrats, again.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.   It's still fun...   

Coming along nicely, Mark. Try to resist doing too much sanding until planking is complete.

What do you mean by '3" off'? Do you mean creep or cumulative error compared to your lining off of the planking runs? You can easily correct this by either making remaining strakes fractionally wider or narrower to compensate. Just don't let this become a big issue when it comes down to the last strake!

Nice work, Mark.  You are really getting the hang of planking and spiling.  

I completely agree with Druxey - go slow when correcting plank runs.  Take at least three strakes to fill in a dip or level a hump.  No one will be able to see the incremental difference, which they could if you try to fix a problem all at once.

Congrats, again.

Dan

I'm thinking it's more creep than anything else at this point, Druxey.  At the sternpost, the right side plank is higher then the left.  I'm taking yours advise on adjusting.  

The sanding is/was very rough only to see if things were close.  I made a newbie's mistake early on in this and grab some planking that was too thin. For a strake.  Didn't notice it until I ran some sandpaper to clean a rough edge.  If I find one too low, after the light touch now, I can still fix it.

Thanks Dan, good advice from both you and Druxey. 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just catching up..... looking at the bow and stern of your ship, I don't think you could have gotten such a great run of the planks if you didn't spil them... Nice work Mark ....she' s going to be a real "looker".... ;)

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I poke into a number of logs here and am continually marveled by the workmanship seen here. It is an inspiration to do better but some time trying to achieve perfection can be a burden. So I try to do my best get on with the model and hope others don't notice my mistakes. ;)   or make allowances.

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Very nice indeed!  Love the stern tuck, looks very symmetrical.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)