Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Mobbsie, if any of us ever figures out how not keep making the same mistakes, we could make a fortune. 

A fortune maybe Mark, but then how would you learn to be a 'master' of your trade/craft :)

The rudder looks great and appears to sit hang nicely against the stern post

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

A great improvement w.r.t. the previous version: good job!

Fam

Joint building:

Brick de 24, 1/48, jointly with Jack Aubrey (POB from Ancre plans)

Works in progress:

USS Constitution Cross Section, 1:93 (POF bashed from Mamoli kit)

Completed models:

Santìsima Trinidad, 1/90 (POB heavily modified DeAgostini kit)

Genoan Pinco, 1/50 (POB bashed from Euromodel plans - my current avatar)

Viking Knarr, 1/72 (POF from Dusek kit)

excellent looking rudder Mark !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

G'day Mark

I'm no expert on rudders, all of your versions looked great to me. I can see a minor difference, but as the saying goes in Australia "a blind man would love to see the difference."

All I've noticed is that dreaded black line is even on the rudder. It must be a reaction with the glue and the final coat. But it still looks great, you could say it has an age appearance!

Happymodelling

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks for the coments and the "likes".

G'day Mark
I'm no expert on rudders, all of your versions looked great to me. I can see a minor difference, but as the saying goes in Australia "a blind man would love to see the difference."
All I've noticed is that dreaded black line is even on the rudder. It must be a reaction with the glue and the final coat. But it still looks great, you could say it has an age appearance!
Happymodelling
Greg

Greg, the lines on the rudder are actually glue with paint pigment in it to simulated the tarred cloth that was used.    The lines on the hull planking are some strange reaction I got when crack filling.   But at galloping horse speed and distance it looks pretty good.

Looking solid Mark. Don't forget the coat ...

Cheers

I'm working on the coat now, Carl.   Testing some stains and colors and trying to sort out the shape that needs to be cut out. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It looks very well, Mark. It just can not be better, I think

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I agree, very good job Mark!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Super looking rudder Mark.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Greg, the lines on the rudder are actually glue with paint pigment in it to simulated the tarred cloth that was used.    The lines on the hull planking are some strange reaction I got when crack filling.   But at galloping horse speed and distance it looks pretty good.

Thanks Mark

I told you I don't know anything about rudders. Glad to have a lesson and again thank you for sharing your wisdom!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Greg,

If you'll go back here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5339-licorne-by-mtaylor-pof-316-french-frigate-hahn-version-20/?p=401762  The first photo shows the new rudder and the three pieces that make it up on the left.  The old rudder is on the right.  It's not hard to make but fiddly as it's pretty much scroll saw work or jeweler's saw and then careful finessing to get the joints to match.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.

Rudder coat time....

I tested several materials ranging from paper, silkspan, to handkerchief and a pillowcase.   I decided the pillowcase cloth would best replicate canvas.   After sorting out design and how I was going to mount it, I stained the cloth with some wood stain to give it tarred canvas look and when dry attached it to the rudder.

post-76-0-30661600-1460690014_thumb.jpg

I've attached the rudder to the ship and glued down the rudder coat.   It's looking splotchy so I'll see what happens when the glue fully cures out.  I might just brush on some more stain but the worse case is that I'll paint it.  

The French didn't use a metal ring like a lot models show (here on MSW anyway) but nails.  Since those are 1" nails (full-size), I'm not going to try to duplicate them although I'm testing a method for simulating them...

post-76-0-68984900-1460690026_thumb.jpg

More on the rudder, later, as there's still more details to finish up.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

G'day Mark

The rudder is "ruddy" good. I've some test myself on the canvas. I also using and old sheet, but I'm staining it with tea. It works well.

Happymodelling

Greg

Thanks for that, Greg.   I applied a bit darker stain and it's looking pretty good.  I'll know better in the morning after it drys.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice job on the coat.  I have rarely seen it on models.  I asked one guy when I saw it what he used and it was sheet linen and gesso.  Then a "dirty" wash.  I did not have my camera so I could not get a photo.  Well done.

David B

Mark, I think I may be in the same boat regarding my rudder needing some rework/movement of the recesses as well, I'm lucky that I can probably hide with copper plates. The new version does look better when put side by side.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Very nicely done Mark!  That stern area is looking fantastic, great job my friend!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.

Milestone point tonight.  The rudder is finished.   It still needs another coat of Wipe-on-Poly but that will wait until the quarter galleries are finished and I'll do it all at once.

The second and third coats of stain did the trick.   The rudder coat looks pretty good in person.  Weird thing happened though, after the 3rd coat, the rudder suddenly got about a 10 degree rotation to starboard in it.  I think the coat may have shrank a bit... ????  I'm not going to argue with it as plan on have the yards rotated with sails in battle configuration (main courses brailed up and the rest set as needed).  I'm still researching this part as to what would be "normal".  The only thing not on the rudder is the emergency steering lines as from what I've read, they weren't put on unless needed.

Anyway, the pictures.... 

This was more for my benefit to check that the mortices for the main tiller and the emergency tillers were in the right locations.

post-76-0-72706400-1460779097_thumb.jpg

The rest are just assorted shots of the rudder. 

post-76-0-45203800-1460779109_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-80813100-1460779120_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-10724100-1460779132_thumb.jpg

I think I'll take the rest of the night off and tomorrow finish sorting out the design for the quarter galleries.   Hahn's plans and the NMM plans don't show the shape from above but there's enough hints from the stern view and side view to know that it's a semi-circle  and sticks out on the sides beyond the transom.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You're correct, Robin.  It's very stiff, probably from the stain.  I'll have to do some more testing and if I find a better way, I'll rip it off and re-do it.  And thanks for the compliment.  I am very stubborn  determined when I set my mind to do something.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sounds familiar ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic