HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

A good test in patience and determination.  How many were scrapped before you were able to get them perfect?

David B

Dan,

I agree with your use of wood as a substitute for metal  for the bearings.   I have used English boxwood for such small parts and painted it a grimy black.  So far no one seems to have noticed they are not metal.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I love your work Danny , so precise , so clean and such detail . I don't think there has been anything with this build I haven't admired . This is one build I would love to see in person as much as the photo's do your work justice seeing it in person I would probably dribble all over your model .

Dave,

You are quite right! I'm one of the privileged few to have met Danny's Vulture in person (oh, and Danny too come to think of it :D ). It is even better in the flesh, and the drool marks do come off!!! :D

Lovely work on the brass Danny. The toned down finish of the blackening looks spot on.

Danny,

The work on the brass and chain pumps are out of this world, you have taken things to a new level. You and Remco, EDT and Gil keep going higher and higher. Keep the pictures coming. I wish I could have been with Gil and seen the ship in person, but I am not sure all my drool marks could have come off and then you might have shot me LOL. Gil is a lucky man to have seen the Vulture in person. I have been lucky to have seen Chuck work in person more than once so I guess I am as lucky as Gil.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Thanks Remco, David, Alex, Allan, Grant, Joe and Sjors :) .

A good test in patience and determination.  How many were scrapped before you were able to get them perfect?

David B

None actually - I made a couple of spares, but didn't need them :) . The Rhodings are a PERFECT fit into the spacers - they need a gentle push to get them in but stay there by themselves. This makes assembly of all the pieces a fairly easy task - well, relatively easy ;)  .

Here are a few pics of my current progress - aligning the Rhodings, Bearings and Sprocket has taken some time but I'm getting there. I've had to remove and re-glue a couple of the Rhodings, and I still need to raise the forward starboard one a touch to get it to sit perfectly.

Pump Cranks 012.jpg

Pump Cranks 013.jpg

Pump Cranks 014.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Very nice work Dan.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Danny,

This is impressive indeed! Great job!  :) I have to remember your blackening procedure...

Looking at these last pictures, a question rised to my mind: was there actually enough space between the pumps so that both could be operated at the same time? The pump crews must have been facing each other obviously... maybe they launched some challenge between them so as to motivate themselves for this tedious job...

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Good day Danny,

Very impressive work! I love following (lurking) along and trying to absorb. An amazing build, one that I will enjoy watching as it develops.

Question, the planking pins that you made... they look stout and useful and far better than the cheap plastic kind of pushpins that I have. How are they made?

Randy

Amazing work on the rhodings. Danny.  How small or big are those things, anyway?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This whole thing just blows my mind, the intricate details are incredible. I cannot fathom how this can be done from scratch and come out looking so beautiful!

Completely awe-inspiring!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks again to Wayne, David, Druxey, Guillermo, Michael, Adeline, Randy, Sinan, Mark, Mark and Shaz - your comments are always welcome and appreciated :) .

was there actually enough space between the pumps so that both could be operated at the same time? The pump crews must have been facing each other obviously

You answered your own question Adeline - the crews WERE facing each other. There is about one foot of clearance (real) between the cranks when they are closest together. I have no doubt there would have been considerable competition between the two crews :D .

How small or big are those things, anyway?

SMALL Mark - the bearings on top of the cisterns are 4.5mm long, 3mm high and only 1mm thick. The rhodings themselves are 2mm OD round bar which has been drilled to take the 1mm diameter cranks.

I cannot fathom how this can be done from scratch and come out looking so beautiful!

It's actually easier (for me) to make them from scratch instead of trying to modify a shoddily made Kit part :D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Forward Stanchions, Cistern Hood and Pump Dale

Hi all,

The last few things for the Pump Assemblies (almost) - I've made the Forward support Stanchions, the port side Cistern Hood and the Pump Dale for the same side. None will be fitted to the starboard side.

The Stanchions support the forward ends of the Cranks :

Forward Stanchions.jpg

Forward Stanchions 001.jpg

The Cistern Hood is made from 1mm thick side pieces and 0.35mm boards over the top :

Cistern Hood 001.jpg

Cistern Hood 002.jpg

The Pump Dale is a removable item on the real ship - it would be a constant trip hazard otherwise. It is made from four pieces of 0.5mm thick timber, and attaches to the cistern via a board which can be lifted upwards :

Pump Dale 001.jpg

Pump Dale 002.jpg

Pump Dale 003.jpg

Pump Dale 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Yeah John, I'm pretty happy with the amount of work I did this weekend - especially with how detailed all this is :) .

Hi all,

The last couple of things for the Pumps - two Bungs, complete with handles, and the Latch that secures the Cistern Hood :

Bungs.jpg

Hood Latch.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Janos and Joe :) .

To those other Swan builders (and anyone else for that matter) who intend fitting Guns to their ship I STRONGLY advise that you drill the holes for the Breeching Rope and Port Tackle Eyebolts BEFORE you add too much Upper Deck "furniture". This can get a bit awkward if you don't :huh: :

Drilling Breech Eyebolts.jpg

Cheers, Danny

wow Danny you are fearless :). anybody want to invent a drill that drills at 90 degree angle ;)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

I shudder to think of the bits you must have broken. Or else you have a very steady hand and a ton of patience.

David B