The one that is missing is the 1:64 version and if Amati delivers as promised i dont really see the point with another Victory considering that almost every manufacturer has one. 

There are so many other larger ship that are not available in 1:64 which would be great to see!

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

On 1/13/2020 at 3:12 AM, chris watton said:

I have been very much involved in the development of two large Victory kits, I have to be honest and say that I do not want to be involved in another. I have done that one to death. I would very much like to develop a 64th scale model of Royal George of 1756 at some point though. But no more 1805 Victory models.

Chris have you pre ordered your copy of John McKay’s new Sovereign book? Have you still a fondness enough for SoS to develop an all new version complete with CNC/ laser  or 3d printed decoration set? 😀J/K - but that’s one that needs to be re done well.....  I may have to look for an older Sergal kit - pre laser deck and gunport strips.... kitbash it to Mckay’s drawings. Still need a good embellishments set though.....

4 hours ago, ASAT said:

Chris have you pre ordered your copy of John McKay’s new Sovereign book? Have you still a fondness enough for SoS to develop an all new version complete with CNC/ laser  or 3d printed decoration set? 😀J/K - but that’s one that needs to be re done well.....  I may have to look for an older Sergal kit - pre laser deck and gunport strips.... kitbash it to Mckay’s drawings. Still need a good embellishments set though.....

I would, but if I did, I would prefer to model the Sovereign how she would have looked during most of her operational career, with the shortened beak and extended quarter galleries removed. I think she looks a lot more 'balanced' in this guise.

However, to design such a model will cost many thousands of Pounds, mainly due to the carvings, so right now, that is out of the question. 

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

However, to design such a model will cost many thousands of Pounds

Chris, have you ever considered something like crowd funding for the development of a product like Sovereign? I know that some niche musical artists are doing something similar to fund new recordings. I think that some modelers might not mind pitching in if they knew that their contributions were going to help make one of their dream models a reality.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

10 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Chris, have you ever considered something like crowd funding for the development of a product like Sovereign? I know that some niche musical artists are doing something similar to fund new recordings. I think that some modelers might not mind pitching in if they knew that their contributions were going to help make one of their dream models a reality.

I haven't thought about that. Not sure I would feel comfortable asking for money. In fact, I know I wouldn't feel comfortable.

The big 3-decker's take 18-24 months to develop from conception to box art, and that's working full time on the development, so it's something that I wouldn't do yet anyway, especially when I am spending over 40 hours per week at my other job. I am hoping to get 5 or 6 kits out, and if they are selling OK, I would then quite my day job, take a leap of faith, and develop my new kits full time.

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Having built several of your designs, I’m a big fan of your work. I know where my next kit is coming from...

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I once made a silly little stick figure in the right scale for Pegasus. Of course I didn’t leave it on the model, but it was fun. I can’t imagine how crowded a fully manned frigate must have been. That said, I agree Chris’ business is models, not figurines. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 6/1/2019 at 4:46 AM, chris watton said:

Just had a sample of a laser engraved deck for Speedy arrive. I know how difficult it is to get the planking right, more so on smaller vessels where the planks bend and taper at the extremes. The engraving isn't as heavy as they were on the Mercury, and look almost drawn on with a pencil, a lot more unobtrusive. This will be done on 0.8mm plywood. What do you think?

Speedy laser engraved deck 1.jpg

Speedy laser engraved deck 2.jpg

Speedy laser engraved deck 3.jpg

Speedy laser engraved deck 4.jpg

Is the objective to have this as the final deck or to serve as a template on where to lay planking? I'm all for it as a finished deck, but hard to tell from the photos.

Regards,

Glenn

On 6/11/2019 at 7:43 AM, chris watton said:

Thank you! The Alert is just under 640mm long and around 530mm high

The lengths quoted include the bowsprit right, I'm hoping the hull's not that long?

Regards,

Glenn

On 7/8/2019 at 7:34 AM, chris watton said:

Last post before work..

Bulkhead tabs removed and sanded flush with top edge of deck, and some parts painted red before the pre cut and laser engraved deck is glued in place.

This is the time where you chose to use this deck or want to plank it yourself...

Speedy 51.JPG

It would be nice to have a high quality deck that I didn't have to pencil edges of holly cut to fit and fill, then and drill in little holes... A very nice touch.  I've replaced the kit decking material on all my models, I'll look forward to not doing that this time.

Regards,

Glenn

On 9/12/2019 at 3:44 AM, chris watton said:

Thanks guys, your kind words are very much appreciated.

I should have the Speedy prototype model fully complete by the end of the weekend.

I do have another Speedy hull, with pear planking done, perhaps I will do another as Flirt in the future, with white hull below waterline and earlier rigging layout.

I quite like frigates, and plan a 32 (Amazon), 38 (Saucy Arethusa) and 44 gun (Indie) after Bristol.

So if I get Speedy and call if Flirt I can do a white hull (which I'd do anyway, after Vanguard and  even Pickle I am completely done with copper plating :-/?

Regards,

Glenn

On 9/21/2019 at 12:20 PM, chris watton said:

Today I took the Speedy box art shots and then put the box art together, does this look OK?

Just have the manual and plans to put together now, all laser and PE have been sent for cutting/etching.

Speedy Box Art.jpg

Too late to offer an opinion I imagine but I have two suggestions: Include a photo of the completed stern. I often look at the box art for inspiration and confirmation I'm on the right track.  My second suggestion is to "upgrade" the color and definition of your VM logo.  The white gets washed out, we all want your models to stand out.  

As you can tell by my replies I'm spending my morning getting caught up on your posts, my order for Speedy will be made today. 🙂

Regards,

Glenn

Thank you! It is a learning curve for me, and I find myself plunged into the deep end of certain aspects of processes I have thus far not had to worry about. I am not really a true 'businessman', but a designer, so am pretty crap with migraine-inducing sales patter. I am just happiest when designing the stuff I like (and hopefully what others would like), and trying to design the parts in a way that people will enjoy putting together. Also learning a lot about box art, manual layouts etc. they will get better..

OK, today I have no work (main job..). So I managed to re-design the Alert and Speedy laser engraved decks and also design the PE gratings so they can be offered as laser cut pearwood parts. These came out a lot better than I thought they would and will be laser cutting gratings in all new developments. I did two sets of each, one with just laser cutting and the other set, which I think looks better, both laser cutting and engraving. They haven't been cleaned up in any way, that is how they looked when removed from the laser machine (I ordered a special air nozzle for the laser, which focuses a more direct air flow on the parts the laser cuts, so less burning) Is it worth offering these as an optional extra? I ask because I cannot really included them in future kits until I run out of the original PE parts, then I can remove them and replace with the laser cut pearwood versions.

Is the Alert/Rattlesnake deck with laser engraved planking and treenails OK? I will most probably develop Alert's sister at some point (not for a long while though), and will use that deck. The Speedy deck has all hatch bordering removed, which was done quite a while ago, so should be filtering into the latest kits. I was hoping to cut these on my new 150mm limewood sheet, which should have arrived today, but didn't. So these are cut in 1mm ply.

Finally, a pic of my very latest, the second of my little 'beginner' kits. These are very first to be cut, to check basic overall fit. I am hoping these two little kits will have optional pre-made sail sets in the exact same quality as the Master-Korabel sail sets.

Right, back to checking these little Zulu parts...

Alert laser engraved deck.jpg

Laser cut gratings.jpg

New kit prototype parts.jpg

Speedy laser engraved deck LATEST.jpg

logo.jpg

I'd be very interested in the gratings for my Alert (and if shipping to the US wasn't a deal breaker I'd probably get the deck as well and while I'm at it maybe some of the wood yard and mast cleats).

I'm unsure about the engraved deck, but I think I like these two more than the original Speedy engraved deck. Maybe the hatch boarders had some overburn on the original, but I'd like to see it in person.

I have added the grating sets for Alert and Speedy to the website:

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product-category/fittings

I don't want to add the Alert deck yet, as it is really intended for Alert's sister, plus I want to see what they look like in limewood instead of the ply. however, if anyone would like a deck, contact me and I am more than happy to do them as one offs.

logo.jpg

I definitely think the new Speedy deck look better than the original. I still havent decided whether I should use mine or not... will do some deckplaning on my other models Before I make my final decision. Today I put together the Swivel guns which was a much easier job than expected. Great design there as well! 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

12 minutes ago, Vane said:

I definitely think the new Speedy deck look better than the original. I still havent decided whether I should use mine or not... will do some deckplaning on my other models Before I make my final decision. Today I put together the Swivel guns which was a much easier job than expected. Great design there as well! 

I am sure I spend half of my entire development time trying to think of the most easy and painless way a customer would like to put the parts together. I sometimes stop one aspect of the design and end up thinking about it for days before trying a few variations..

logo.jpg

The Pearwood gratings are a big improvement Chris, and I would purchase them , had I not already replaced mine in Boxwood. I imagine the colour will come up very nicely with wipe-on poly.

The Alert deck looks good  on the photo with a realistic butt shift pattern, my only concern would be  if a good clean finish can be obtained using limewood, it is a fairly soft wood. No doubt you will test it for taking a flat matt varnish before making a final decision.

Regards,

B.E.

2 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

The Pearwood gratings are a big improvement Chris, and I would purchase them , had I not already replaced mine in Boxwood. I imagine the colour will come up very nicely with wipe-on poly.

The Alert deck looks good  on the photo with a realistic butt shift pattern, my only concern would be  if a good clean finish can be obtained using limewood, it is a fairly soft wood. No doubt you will test it for taking a flat matt varnish before making a final decision.

Regards,

B.E.

Cheers :)

I never thought of laser cutting the gratings until a few days ago, as I know I tried it before, years ago, and the laser machine 'nuked' them( they looked like debris from L'Orient after she blew up at the Nile), so I figured the same would happen again. Plus it was too expensive when having to sub-contract anyway (as was adding the treenail marks in the etched decks). However, all new developments that have gratings will be laser cut.

Regarding the laser etched decks, I do like the look, and think they suit the smaller vessels (and help out the more novice modeller, who only has the hull planking to contend with). The problem with plywood (my preferred choice) is that half of every batch I buy is not suitable due to natural imperfections. The scrap rate is unacceptably high (I can still use the ply for all other laser cut ply parts, but not for decks). Even then, if I have to cut the etched deck in an area that has the fewest marks, this may be slap bang in the middle of the plywood sheet, rendering the rest of it unusable for anything else. I know that limewood is a lot more reliable, surface-wise, and does look nice when matt varnished for decks (I have seen dozens of models with such planked decks). Tanganyika sheet would be OK (colour-wise), but it would be a lottery as to whether the grain is too heavy or not in certain batches, as I know this particular wood quality varies from good to darn awful.

I do advise that low tack masking tape is applied to the top surface of the deck until all hull and bulwark planking is done

logo.jpg

I placed my order for Vanguard Models HMS Speedy from here in Texas on January 24th, it arrived today, the 29th. That's pretty exceptional service coming from the UK.

speedy-1753.thumb.jpg.af8906d739ccfd541f148e4bd382f01f.jpg

If anyone has reservations about this kit, please allow me to help you set them aside. I've unboxed a lot of kits including the very expensive Amati Vanguard. I've never seen a kit so well packed. The heavy duty cardboard outer sleeve ensured there was not even a crinkle on the kit box. Everything inside was wrapped in separate plastic bags or boxes and all that wrapped in bubble wrap so nothing was  moving around inside the box. I have never seen pearwood before and wasn't sure what to expect, I've still only looked, not worked any of it yet, but it seems marvelous - a major major step up from the standard walnut. The laser work is top notch as well. I had a few reservations when I saw Chris was doing that at home now, those were completely unfounded. The upside of doing his own is he can do it exactly the way he wants and include what he wants... and so he includes a lot of detailed stuff.  I've never seen this quality of an instruction book and I'm not limiting that to models, I suppose the manuals that came with my BMW are more detailed, but that's about it. The details in the plans are exceptional as well.

Modelers can and should buy this kit without reservations. This is a whole new league of model kits.  I'm going to be really tempted, for the first time, to build the kit just as it is with what came in it. I really don't think I need to replace anything.

IMG_1759.thumb.jpg.a2e864cb30e01ea7cdc58c7cfa6d69da.jpg

Admiral Cochrane dropped by my Pegasus to say hello. I put him alongside a silly little stickman I did years ago to have some personal reference as to the size of people on the ship (it never stayed there, don't judge:-).  Looks like I was pretty close seeing him next to the admiral.

Nice Job Chris (and Chris’ wife who packs the boxes)!

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

I have a question about building with Pearwood for those of us with less than perfect skills. Where can I find Pearwood wood filler?  It has a distinctive color, natural or walnut filler would stand out. 

I realize if i make no mistakes I won’t need it, an admirable goal i will set for myself, but...

Regards,

Glenn

Your best option would be to make it yourself..  Sanding dust and white glue or matte, water based varnished.

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 2/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, Gregory said:

Your best option would be to make it yourself..  Sanding dust and white glue or matte, water based varnished.

Yes I know that trick, hard to do it in much volume and to keep it clean.  That can be the fall back but still hoping to locate some pear wood filler.  Its not a common wood in the US so not likely a Home Depot opportunity. Thanks though.

Regards,

Glenn

On 2/7/2020 at 4:05 AM, glennard2523 said:

HMS Speedy ordered today, looking forward to receiving the box so I can start work on building this model.

Hey, two Glenn's both spelled the right way:-)  Congrats on Speedy, hope you're doing a build log.  I won't be able to get to it for a while but looking forward to building mine too.

Regards,

Glenn

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I’m well acquainted with internet search engines, but thanks. Just like your link doesn’t produce any pear wood filler other than furniture scratch wax sticks, nor did mine. 

Regards,

Glenn