Best wishes for the future of Vanguard models Chris, your kits are already the gold standard and your inovative ideas never cease to amaze me.

I have Sphinx on my list as James' build looks amazing but now you tempt me with a hint of a (really) big one. I will need  bigger house.

Phill

Current Build: HM Cutter Alert 1777

Good luck Chris, all the best for the future, and thank you @James H

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Congratulations, and more best wishes for you and your wife!  Looking forward to Sphinx.

Current builds: Santa Maria (multi-kit bash), Constellation (AL)

Past builds: Beagle, Thermopylae (restoration), Blue Shadow, Wappen von Hamburg, Half Moon, America, Golden Hind

Ships in bottles (some): Marco Polo, viking ship, Prince

• 2 weeks later...

I had a delivery today from one of my suppliers. This included more machined pearwood blocks, so these are again available as an option for Alert, Speedy, Flirt and Duchess.

As well as lanterns, I also had new cannon barrels arrive. I did read in a few threads on the forum that more than a few are disappointed with standard kit barrels, as they never seem to be the correct size, made worse by mating them with equally inappropriate carriages. Someone mentioned that all kits have problems in this area. I don't think this is strictly true.

Here are some pics (still got packaging fibres on them, sorry..) of the three sizes of barrel I had made for a future development - a 24 Pounder Armstrong long barrels, 12 Pounder Blomefield  pattern long chase barrel (only 2 per kit), and a 42-Pounder carronade and fittings (the kit they are for has 18 of those bad boys)! These are all exact scale and correct for the model they are intended for.

And finally, while I wait for the USB stick from Jim, which contain the Sphinx pics for the manual, I just started a new little kit. The pics show the very first time the parts for the hull were assembled (yesterday), and probably do not 100% reflect the final designs. I just needed to check all major structural parts - it will be quite a cute little thing...

Indie cannon 1.jpg

Indie cannon 2.jpg

Nisha 1.JPG

Nisha 2.JPG

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

8 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

You surely are a master hand at this kit designing malarkey  Chris, another irresistible  model in the offing. 🤔

B. E

Actually, this little lady is Nisha, a Brixham 'Mumble-bee'! 

When I saw her sexy little lines in the Edgar J Marsh book, I couldn't resist...

First off deck bereft of fittings location holes, as I am currently designing them. At least, until I can carry on with Sphinx..

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

I now have 2 sizes of new lanterns in stock. They are not cheap, but are very detailed and 3-D printed in very hard resin. I have them in 12 and 15mm sizes, the 15mm is the same that is used for Sphinx (ordered extra for fittings stock). They come in two parts for the main body and top canopy, brass rod and pre cut glazing.

Lanterns – High Detail (sold individually) – VANGUARD MODELS

logo.jpg

14 hours ago, chris watton said:

They are not cheap

They seem very reasonable to me, especially considering the quality (I've just seen them on James's Sphinx). The only ones I know of comparable quality are Syren's and they're $12.75 & $13.75 for the two sizes (roughly £9 and £10, and leaving aside any differences in shipping charges).

Pity Speedy doesn't need lanterns!

Just one question - you say they're made from very hard resin but the website says they're not resin?

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Just realised I never got back to you DelF.

The reason for the difference in description for the new lanterns is because we wanted to differentiate between actual resin castings and and 3-d printed parts, which is a completely different resin anyway.

I have just completed all laser cutting for Sphinx. I can now tell you that the laser time for each kit is six and a half hours. There are 33 separate laser cut sheets in 8 different thicknesses from 0.5-4mm

One of the reasons I really need a second machine...

logo.jpg

Six and a half hours of laser cutting!

That's a lot of parts.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...

NEW AT VANGUARD MODELS! - 'BUY NOW, PAY LATER' (Pay In Three) from PayPal.

219671893_352884306283280_8504245461812456671_n.jpg

I've been helping Chris with his website and PayPal have really been bugging us with rolling out this system for VM customers. VM satisfies their criteria which allows customers to make purchases from £30 to £2000 using a three-payment system. 

Once you go to PayPal checkout, you will have an option to choose this. The total cost is split into three equal payments at 0% interest, and then the remainder is paid on the due dates over the following two months. 

The great news is you of course get your items shipped straight away as you would if you'd paid up-front.

That'll help break up some of those costs we all have when it comes to buying our kits and stuff!

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-payin3/faq

There are some territory restrictions, but can't remember them at moment!

Started designs on a companion to the Brixham Mumble Bee Nisha, a larger relative from Plymouth, which was later converted into a yacht - great lines, so fine.

Not sure if I shall develop these two together, like Fifie and Zulu, as these are a little more complex (larger one has 16 bulkheads, and only around 350mm long) but am hoping to have the smaller Nisha out first. I have drawn fittings specific to each, like winch drums and the distinctive tow posts. These will have 1x4mm limewood first planking, and 0.8x3mm pear for second planking.

Erycina 4.jpg

Erycina and Nisha 1.JPG

Erycina and Nisha 2.jpg

Erycina and Nisha 3.JPG

logo.jpg

Chris, time matter question;

Have you been able to make my regular 24 hour day to 30 hours?

Seems like you, James and Chuck have found the golden source to extend the day.

Looking good and fascinating. 

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Warm/hot work shop is no fun.

I have the same issue every once in a while. 

I like to build the Sphinx some day.

First I have to reduce (with other words build) what I have in my shop.

Today is going to be perfect day in the shop, not to warm and with a nice breeze.

Respectfully

Just to let you know, Sphinx will be available for pre-order tomorrow, well, in about 90 minutes time.

I now have everything with me apart from the plans and manual, which I cannot submit to the printers until the prototype model is complete (for final shots for box art and manual). 

logo.jpg

43 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Just to let you know, Sphinx will be available for pre-order tomorrow, well, in about 90 minutes time.

I now have everything with me apart from the plans and manual, which I cannot submit to the printers until the prototype model is complete (for final shots for box art and manual). 

Great news, do you have a forecast date in mind for kits being available, noting you are waiting for Jim to complete the prototype.

Glenn (UK)

10 hours ago, glennard2523 said:

Great news, do you have a forecast date in mind for kits being available, noting you are waiting for Jim to complete the prototype.

I think three weeks.

I could get plans and manual printed right now, but prefer to wait until the model is complete - but I do want the actual release to be no later than three weeks.

I will show you work in progress box art, some pics and text are just placeholders, and the bar code is for Duchess...

SphinxBox Art 690x300.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-31-at-08.41.29.jpg

PRE-ORDER KIT HERE: https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/hms-sphinx-1775/
PRE-ORDER PEAR BLOCK SET HERE: https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/hms-sphinx-pearwood-block-set/

logo.jpg

Chris,

Any thoughts on coming up with display pedestals for your box art and promo pictures that are a little more in keeping with the quality of this beautiful piece of art?

I realize display option details will be up to each builder, but I find the base as shown somewhat distracting from the rest of the fine workmanship.

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

4 hours ago, Gregory said:

Chris,

Any thoughts on coming up with display pedestals for your box art and promo pictures that are a little more in keeping with the quality of this beautiful piece of art?

I realize display option details will be up to each builder, but I find the base as shown somewhat distracting from the rest of the fine workmanship.

In every kit, I include two stands, the one shown above, which is for the build only, and a much nicer acetate stand to display the finished model which, for Sphinx, has a laser engraved nameplate for each side.

I know that a lot of kits do not include any stand, and if they do, they call it a 'Bonus'!

I have attached a pic of the display stand for Sphinx, and next to it is the two stands for my upcoming sub £100 kit - the MDF is for the build and the acetate version with nameplates is for the final display. No matter what cost the kit, they all have the two stands.

Stands.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

The acetate is very nice.

I was reluctant to make comments that sound critical, I just felt the MDF cradle really detracted from the otherwise beautiful model in the photographs..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Not many, if any kit providers include one stand let alone two.  Thanks Chris!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose