HMS Enterprise by Kevin - CAF - 1/48 - August 2020

On 11/14/2020 at 10:27 PM, mtaylor said:

Looking good Kevin.   I hope this is from the angle of view but you might want to recheck your bow where I've highlighted.  IMG_8197.thumb.JPG.7e6703ceefef7dbb5b84e55eb46eecdd.jpg.f8738fba19e3063fbdf139237fcae237.jpg

thank you Mark

one side became unattached a while ago, so now its been noticed by others i have sorted it out

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

good evening everyone

Day 66 fore 1/2 deck

thank you for comments and pointers, im loving this build, im in day 60 odd and not thought about any other build, not even the Bluejacket schooner that might be on sale this time next years (not thought about that much at all) (but dont ask the wife, she will lie to you lol)

using 5mm lime strips the fore 1/2 deck has now been planked,

at present i am sorting out the forward bulkhead, and making up the bulkheads for the sail room, and carpenter store

IMG_8204.JPG

IMG_8205.JPG

IMG_8206.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good evening everyone

day 68 Fore 1/2 deck 

nothing is fixed, if this works i will redo the stern units, 

IMG_8207.thumb.JPG.89238061aa06410362e756b5f408174b.JPGIMG_8208.thumb.JPG.b3dd2e676713c8d98edefe485af490f0.JPGIMG_8209.thumb.JPG.f96cefcaa4c3435b973fc618c79302ed.JPG

this will be my last update for a while, as i am moving onto a non maritime project, something i have been asked to do by the wife, 

IMG_8212.thumb.JPG.aac711efe880cee89196b99701fba3e6.JPGIMG_8216.thumb.JPG.b4c68f8ad51d7d4d599e4a333a616a4a.JPG

if anyone is interested i could start a new topic, but as stated non Maritime

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Good evening everyone

day 68 Fore 1/2 deck 

nothing is fixed, if this works i will redo the stern units, 

IMG_8207.thumb.JPG.89238061aa06410362e756b5f408174b.JPGIMG_8208.thumb.JPG.b3dd2e676713c8d98edefe485af490f0.JPGIMG_8209.thumb.JPG.f96cefcaa4c3435b973fc618c79302ed.JPG

this will be my last update for a while, as i am moving onto a non maritime project, something i have been asked to do by the wife, 

IMG_8212.thumb.JPG.aac711efe880cee89196b99701fba3e6.JPGIMG_8216.thumb.JPG.b4c68f8ad51d7d4d599e4a333a616a4a.JPG

if anyone is interested i could start a new topic, but as stated non Maritime

Oh you must do a build log Kevin, you'll be in excellent company with @Ekis and @Waitoa

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Sorry didn't mention, the forward below deck cabins are looking good!

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

The lower cabins are looking great. I love seeing interiors being built on these ships. Too often they are omitted and overlooked as they are rarely able to be seen once the ship is built. To me this is a tragedy as the interiors are an entire world of fascinating detail that really show how life was aboard a ship.

Also, the "wife's request" looks very intriguing! I would definitely be interested in seeing a log for it.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, EJ_L said:

The lower cabins are looking great. I love seeing interiors being built on these ships. Too often they are omitted and overlooked as they are rarely able to be seen once the ship is built. To me this is a tragedy as the interiors are an entire world of fascinating detail that really show how life was aboard a ship.

Also, the "wife's request" looks very intriguing! I would definitely be interested in seeing a log for it.

Thank you for your kind comments

i have now put a link in, the reason for having not done so was because of the nature of MSW, and i never thought anyone would be interested, appears I am wrong again, LOL

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 7 months later...

I keep looking at this model and forcing myself to forget what I've seen...CAF look to be providing a whole range of a type of hybrid kit and I strongly suspect one will be in my future.  Love what you're doing to expand on the kit, seems this would be hard to discern from a true scratch build frame model.  Glad you managed to overcome the early challenges, even the best kits of this complexity it seems have their own foibles to work through.  Know you're working on you Amerigo Vespucci, but can't wait to see more progress here.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

2 hours ago, Beef Wellington said:

I keep looking at this model and forcing myself to forget what I've seen...CAF look to be providing a whole range of a type of hybrid kit and I strongly suspect one will be in my future.  Love what you're doing to expand on the kit, seems this would be hard to discern from a true scratch build frame model.  Glad you managed to overcome the early challenges, even the best kits of this complexity it seems have their own foibles to work through.  Know you're working on you Amerigo Vespucci, but can't wait to see more progress here.

thank you Jason, i stopped doing it when i was slated on a FB group, comments like how i should have left it to someone who knew what they were doing etc, kind of upset me in a way, im not sure if the confidence will return, and if it does i certainly will think twice before showing others

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

thank you Jason, i stopped doing it when i was slated on a FB group, comments like how i should have left it to someone who knew what they were doing etc, kind of upset me in a way, im not sure if the confidence will return, and if it does i certainly will think twice before showing others

And we all know better than to listen to that sort of folk on FB ;)

I was really liking your work on this and was surprised when it stopped. Please restart this one. Plenty here will like to follow it, including me.

Kevin,

I would think that the solution to that particular issue is to stop posting on the FB group, rather than stopping work on your model. Come back to it after AV and post your progress here. In all the time I’ve been a member here at MSW I don’t think I have ever seen that type of “trollish” behaviour - only ever encouragement, support and constructive suggestions.

Kevin,

What the others have said.. ignore the trolls and FB.   You're doing very well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I hope you continue working on the model. I'm loving the progress you've made. The photos are like eye candy! 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I can think of many choice colourful words to describe those miserable FB trolls, but I will refrain from using that sort of language here.

You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.  I have quite enjoying watching your progress to date, especially knowing that the (high) quality of your build efforts is something that I could possibly achieve, had I the resources (read $$, or €€ or ££) to attempt it myself. 

Chin up, and know that I’m among the people here on MSW that wish to see to see you succeed (even if it’s only in experience, it’s 100% worth it!)

Looking forward to your continued progress when you’re ready to resume.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Indeed! Please continue the build! You were working on something truly incredible. I have loved watching the framing come together as a fully framed ship is something I greatly want to do myself but have not yet worked up the courage to go for it.

There are always those who would rather criticize than support, but something that I have loved about MSW is how wholesome the community here is towards each other. It is comforting to have such warm place of welcome in the cold landscape of the internet, especially social media platforms. You have many friends here waiting to see you continue!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Looking forward to another progress update on this Kevin, I’ve been patiently waiting.🍿 I’d like to build this very similar to how you are. You’re paving the way for others.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

thank you for the comments, makes me feel much better

i have always wanted to avoid sounding childish over comments made, but thats the main reason i switched to doing the Aedes Ars diorama over the charismas period, whilst i decided on actually getting on with the AV

it is slightly more difficult to avoid the trolls and comments some times, being a MSW Social Media Moderator, and perhaps i over reacted, but the comments at the time went much further

i have still quite a way to go on the AV, and would love to completed her now rather than switching back 

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I have also watched you build this model and have been very impressed with the results. I’m saddened to hear about what happened; I hesitate to go to far out on a limb but as the social media moderator for MSW you probably are quite the target/outlet for those who do not like MSW. I don’t really use social media that much (Reddit is my vice though) it’s very caustic in my opinion and my skin is probably not thick enough for it. I hope you eventually come back to the build and enjoy your time with it!

• 1 month later...

well she made it back into the mancave, but the stagecoach must be completed first, i have promised myself

IMG_0696.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, manic8479 said:

I am very much in awe of your achievement. It is stunning. I cannot understand anyone would be "trolling" you for it. It is certainly an achievement worth being proud of. I cannot wait to see her when she is finished. 

Thank you, the trolling im over that, but recent discussions in my household, all three of us, and one of them is the dog, have agreed that the Amerigo needs to be completed, with or without sails

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 2 weeks later...

i have tonight just ordered another upper deck to replace the one i was using, when that arrives in a couple of weeks i may bring the Enterprise back to the table, my mojo for it has returned

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

It will be good to see you back with this one! 

Current builds;

Completed:

just arrived today the replacement upper deck about a week from China, Thank you Tom  @cafmodel

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

49 minutes ago, Kevin said:

just arrived today the replacement upper deck about a week from China, Thank you Tom  @cafmodel

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

Kevin: I have been following your build log for the last while as I have this kit in the wings as a project down the road. I read the few posts and I was wondering, why did you need a replacement upper deck? Did your additions of the lower deck change the configuration of the upper deck? Just curious.

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Kevin: I have been following your build log for the last while as I have this kit in the wings as a project down the road. I read the few posts and I was wondering, why did you need a replacement upper deck? Did your additions of the lower deck change the configuration of the upper deck? Just curious.

Mike Draper

Good morning mike, i adapted the upper deck to make it fit in the lower position, im sure i could have attemped scratching one, but i went for the easier option

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

Good morning mike, i adapted the upper deck to make it fit in the lower position, im sure i could have attemped scratching one, but i went for the easier option

Kevin: Makes total sense from my perspective! 😀 I have to say you have taken on a arduous task "infilling" the lower deck on the Enterprise. Im going to find the kit a challenge in itself! Good luck and keep the posts coming. 

Mike Draper 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

2 hours ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Kevin: Makes total sense from my perspective! 😀 I have to say you have taken on a arduous task "infilling" the lower deck on the Enterprise. Im going to find the kit a challenge in itself! Good luck and keep the posts coming. 

Mike Draper 

i was enjoying the Enterprize build very much, but it was slated in a FB group, and somewhat threw me off my perch, hence the restart of the AV, i dont have the skills for a full scratch and this was at the time the best kit for it, im now ready to get on with her, but so enjoying me present build, so i will continue with that for a while longer 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

i was enjoying the Enterprize build very much, but it was slated in a FB group, and somewhat threw me off my perch, hence the restart of the AV, i dont have the skills for a full scratch and this was at the time the best kit for it, im now ready to get on with her, but so enjoying me present build, so i will continue with that for a while longer 

Kevin: I wouldn't get jaded by comments from FB.. as they say.. consider the source.. 😃 In any case, I do want to mention I was impressed on you obtaining the necessary information in order to construct the lower deck area. I will be keen to see you get back to the Enterprise. Keep up the good work. 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

3 minutes ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Kevin: I wouldn't get jaded by comments from FB.. as they say.. consider the source.. 😃 In any case, I do want to mention I was impressed on you obtaining the necessary information in order to construct the lower deck area. I will be keen to see you get back to the Enterprise. Keep up the good work. 

Mike Draper

thank you

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished