HMS Sphinx 1775 by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Looking Absolutley Stunning  - like a  Museum  model.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Just now, Oboship said:

James, while you work with both hands on the model, who is taking the pictures anyway? She or he deserves a big Thank You, too!

Uwe

All the expert builders have Three hands,  how do you think they do such wonders.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, James H said:

Remember those cannon port lids? Here they are, finally installed.

And very, very nice they look, too.  Will you be documenting the rigging, as well James?

Having just spent a day at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, can I say that this model would look entirely at home in the museum there.  Exceptional work by Chris and James.

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

Initial production run will be for 40 kits.

So 39 for everyone else😊

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

3 hours ago, Clark said:

Is it already possible to send an advance order?

Clark

Only once I have cut all parts and have everything except plans and manual (as these are done locally). If there were any problems with the PE or anything else after taking people's money, I would be devastated if I had to delay the release. Hence waiting until alI is with me and have checked everything over. 

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Wow, you‘re a very fast and clean builder. Is it all depending on your own high building skills or does the kit go together that easy?

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

20 minutes ago, captain_hook said:

Wow, you‘re a very fast and clean builder. Is it all depending on your own high building skills or does the kit go together that easy?

It's designed to be as easy to build as possible. With a couple of builds under your belt, you should have no problem with this. I'd say that in comparison to Flirt or Duchess, this is no harder....there's just more of it. There's also refinements in these designs as they're released, and also during this specific build. There have been numerous changes that I've discussed with Chris and he's implemented them, reducing as many of the possible pitfalls as you can on a wooden model.

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

Only once I have cut all parts and have everything except plans and manual (as these are done locally). If there were any problems with the PE or anything else after taking people's money, I would be devastated if I had to delay the release. Hence waiting until alI is with me and have checked everything over. 

Thank you very much for the quick reply. It is more than understandable that you want to be on the safe side. I will exercise patience then. Good luck and success to you and James with the wonderful model.
Clark

Needs a crew  to  really give it that special touch  - "cough cough"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Personally I really like the new materials that Vanguards are using to  improve and make things easier to assembly. But from a traditional point of view I get the feeling that shipmodelling always had try to distance itself from the plastics modelling world. Kits have strictly been limited to wood, rope and metals. Now when I do both wooden ships and plastics i see that the both worlds have alot to learn from eachothers. 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

21 minutes ago, Vane said:

Personally I really like the new materials that Vanguards are using to  improve and make things easier to assembly. But from a traditional point of view I get the feeling that shipmodelling always had try to distance itself from the plastics modelling world. Kits have strictly been limited to wood, rope and metals. Now when I do both wooden ships and plastics i see that the both worlds have alot to learn from eachothers. 

I think it is very important to make the kits as easy as they can be. It really doesn't matter what experience some have, or have not got. It is a kit, so it should include as many pre-made parts as possible to give everyone a fighting chance.

There is always much room for improvement, depending on each modellers experience and preferences, and those that can, will still make their own stamp of the kits. At the same time, I am hoping that those who perhaps may have been a little scared off by other kits in the past will feel confident enough to tackle such subjects. For most, the kit is complete, but for a few, it is a blank canvas and only the start of what they plan to do to it. For example, you don't have to use the pre cut and etched lower side parts, as I will include enough pear strip to plank from bottom edge of the blue painted sides down, the choice is yours. 

Regarding the plastics, or resin, which is what I use, after having to use white metal for the best part of two decades, I would choose the resin every time - easier to use, bend, file, better definition and next to zero shrinkage - with zero shrinkage for 3-d printed parts like the cannon barrels, figurehead, boat beam brackets and lanterns. If the material suits the end result, I will use it. But never again white metal...

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I second what Vane and Chris stated, and to work with white metal is no fun at all. I recently gave up to rig studding yards because I could not manage to glue the 0,5 mm tip of a brass rod to a white metal ring. Maybe wrong cyano or maybe too clumsy fingers, but my current build will have no studding sails. I think Chris' approach to new materials and techniques is a great step forward and a benefit for the hobby

Uwe