HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Hope you’re doing better Mark.  I’m really enjoying building Winchelsea, it’s a journey for sure. 1:48 is a great scale, somehow everything seems more realistic at the larger sized. And as you note, easier on the hands with the larger pieces. 

Whatever you do I wish you the best!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Mark, find that which makes you the happiest and run with it. May God grant you a healthy life and many many years of enjoying whatever brings you joy. 

2 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Mark, find that which makes you the happiest and run with it. May God grant you a healthy life and many many years of enjoying whatever brings you joy. 

My sentiments exactly. Furthermore, can I point out that you, Mark, have had quite a few hurtles to get over recently, and you've done it with grace and style. An inspiration for us all.

Tom

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone.    To carry one with Sphinx, I am working a bit outside the instructions at this point and sorting processes and methods out.  Hopefully, I'll have it completed by the end of the year as long as nothing else gets in the way.   I'll update once I have some real progress.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

Finally... back in the shipyard and making progress.  Been a bit of long haul to get here.  Foredeck furniture is "mostly" done.  Still need to do the catheads, but currently doing eyebolts on the quarterdeck.  I will admit that 1:64 is currently pushing the limits on my eyeballs so the next one is going to be 1:48 unless the eye doc has a solution.  Seems I don't meet Medicare requirements for new lens in the eyeballs.   <sigh>  But we'll see where that goes in due time.

165.JPG.cc1c606aa8b39c34c6ab30bb4159baba.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Grant.  It's a bit dusty.. need to clean that off but I'm pretty happy at this point.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

So  good to see more  progress  my friend,   she  is  looking  really nice   -  looking forward  to seeing more.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 1 month later...

Finally, after too much time spent on "life things" and some experimentation, I'm making progress.   Ship's wheel, binnacle are finished and dummy masts in place (not clued) but still need some paint.

I painted the wheel to look like wood mostly.   I didn't like the color scheme in the instructions.  I then wasted a lot of time trying figure out how to glaze the binnacle.  Tried numerous ways but even though the glazing looked good to my eye, it prevented the panels sitting flush with each other and "shelving".

My next step is to back up and get the catheads installed.   I had to wait on some new blades as I wanted something a bit sharper and longer lasting than the X-acto blades I was using.   So... on-wards....

1-66.thumb.JPG.0e5c194731d314950e0168ca29719e6a.JPG1-67.thumb.JPG.e1be45c99ac8ea51df09a781354fb7f0.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...

Do to too much RL, it's been slow going.   But here's an update.   I've finished "stocking the fore deck and the aft deck and added the timberheads and to the aftdeck, the railings also.   I'm showing her with stubmasts as there's no place to do full masting and rigging and then have a place to display her.  At least this way, I can have a proper display. 

Still a ways to go yet with the works/carvings around the bow, the stern lights, etc.

1-72.JPG.cdb48171510cc5809d557c2df2b9ac29.JPG1-68.JPG.caf934338a4db14cde0cb708cd968fba.JPG1-69.JPG.6de525d065aa87975d249a170e750571.JPG1-70.JPG.85d34f53f74e893c8551eed36e4c976e.JPG1-71.JPG.b3359996edae7d9458a3f463e6b8b364.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

she is looking great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Looking very nice Mark, good to see you back at her.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Fantastic looking Sphinx Mark. Sorry I have not been here lately. The blue and gold paint work is absolutely amazing and you are obviously very artistic. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Thanks for the comments and likes.

Dave, I didn't use gold paint but followed what they did historically or at least reportedly... yellow ocre as it was "cheap".

Slowly making more progress but nothing photo worthy.   I've hit a small self-inflicted issue with the various stanchions and hammock cranes as the paint (brushed not airbrushed) on the wood filled the holes for mounting <facepalm>. I have the plans out and taking careful measurements and poking around with a pin.  Hopefully I can get these nstalled in the right places.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Almost there....  hand ropes on the foredeck and hammock cranes added and "rigged" and roping around the quarterdeck ladderway. Stern lamps in place.  Basically fiddly bits and touch up.  Starting on the stand.

DSCF3516.thumb.JPG.6d0950923348dc48f4a52759734506ef.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good to see this one on the cusp of completion, nicely done, Mark. 

Well, it's finished unless I move into a bigger apartment.   Been an interesting journey as I've re-learned much that I lost and also also learned many new things like PE, painting, It is a great kit though I think I could do better since I won't have to relearn some things from scratch.  

For now, I'm headed back to Belle Poule after I take a few days to clean up the shop, pack up all the parts I didn't use and put them away.  Oh.. clear my head and raise a brandy in self toast.

Here's the pics.  Kindly ignore the dust as like I said...need to clean up the dust, etc.

DSCF3528.JPG.624b02f1e22f46dad7ebe0ba93cde17d.JPG

DSCF3517.thumb.JPG.b84f2096c10f210929c33ab522f2ee9d.JPGDSCF3518.thumb.JPG.61e9b6222e1675f4e6f6170a38dcb1e1.JPGDSCF3519.thumb.JPG.1c4dec46f3f8033a007b8dc4f9c98b11.JPGDSCF3521.thumb.JPG.e39ed5429c954b3185880ae17813e44b.JPGDSCF3526.thumb.JPG.f8b6172dbf0cef445a1966c27a87e9d8.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Congratulations on a superb build, Mark!  So well done.

I greatly admire your perseverance and I join you in your toast with a Texas margarita (or 3)!  🍹🍹🍹

She looks fantastic, Congratulations

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat