Bristol F.2B WW1 Fighter by CDW - FINISHED - Eduard - 1:48 Scale

CDW

Amazing work   - all that  fine detail.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for the nice comments, much appreciated. While I had planned to use a very fine monofilament line and micro tubing for the rigging, I had to switch out to Infini lycra thread. In the past, had successfully used the monofilament and micro tubing for rigging 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft, but found the combination too unwieldy for this 1:48 scale model. Just not enough space to make it work for me. Half that battle is keeping the right focal length between my Optivisor and the model. That’s an issue no matter what medium is being used for rigging. At the right focal length, I find my visor often collides with the model. Several times I almost dropped it because of that. In hindsight I should have made a slightly larger loop for my tie off points. Next time I will do that.

I wonder if the Eduard WW1 aircraft kits are reboxed Roden products. Anyone know? In past experience most Eduard kits I have owned were reboxed for their use. The 1:48 Tornado and 1:48 Mi-25 kits come to mind. They are actually Revell and Zvezda kits with Eduard details, instructions, and decals. I ask because I see some interesting 1:48 scale WW1 kits from Roden and may be interested to acquire a few. If the Roden kits were as nice as this Eduard one, I would be pleased.

Edited by CDW

I'd like to get some more info on the Infini line, with which I'm unfamiliar. I looked it up online just now and see that it comes in a variety of colors and diameters. The line that they recommend for 1/200 scale ships is half the diameter (and twice the price) of fine EZ Line, and supposedly stretches, same as EZ line. Do you know if it is round in cross-section (EZ line is flat), and how well does it glue to different materials?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Pictured from left to right are rolls of Infini "medium" size rigging, EZ Line "fine" rigging, and Infini "fine" rigging.

The first thing to take note of the terms medium and fine are only consistent between like brands. Both the Infini medium and Infini fine are both smaller diameter than the EZ Line fine. The Infini fine is very very fine indeed. Almost invisible. I can't really see a lot of difference in cross section. I magnified the photo as much as possible to let you be the judge of that. All the lycra thread I have worked with seems somewhat inconsistent in cross section. It looks flat, it looks round, it looks something in between, but once it's stretched it all looks alike to me with my mk.20-20 eyeballs.

The Infini packages give the actual diameter measurement. EZ Line does not but it's obviously the thickest of the three.  

799DF2DD-B6A6-4D1C-B2B5-0EF21DD559BF.jpeg

2E0AB232-D751-4273-B150-DAFBF837031A.jpeg

Edited by CDW

14 minutes ago, CDW said:

mk.20-20 eyeballs

I just had an eye exam a couple of months ago, during which my ophthalmologist informed me, at the ripe old age of 59, that in addition to my numerous floaters, astigmatism, 20-30 vision (corrected) in one eye and 20-40 in the other, I now have "all three" kinds of cataracts in their early stages of formation. No doubt this is from years of squinting at tiny modeling elements. 🙄

I may just have to pull the trigger on some Infini line -- I'm a sucker to try new things. Your comment about the medium vs. fine makes me wonder whether fine may not be better -- at stand off viewing distances, 1/250 wire rigging does really kind of disappear. What are your thoughts?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Just now, ccoyle said:

I just had an eye exam a couple of months ago, during which my ophthalmologist informed me, at the ripe old age of 59, that in addition to my numerous floaters, astigmatism, 20-30 vision (corrected) in one eye and 20-40 in the other, I now have "all three" kinds of cataracts in their early stages of formation. No doubt this is from years of squinting at tiny modeling elements. 🙄

I may just have to pull the trigger on some Infini line -- I'm a sucker to try new things. Your comment about the medium vs. fine makes me wonder whether fine may not be better -- at stand off viewing distances, 1/250 wire rigging does really kind of disappear. What are your thoughts?

What you see on my F.2B is the medium Infini rigging. I would use the Infini fine size rigging on my 1:700 scale ships. I think the medium scales out to be around 1.2 inches at 1:250 scale.

Failed to answer earlier, but the thread adheres well to any surface I have tried, plastics, wood, and metal, using thin CA. It would be a real pain to use a slower setting glue in my opinion as you would need to hold it too long in a stretched position until it set. But I have heard of those who use acrylic glue. Probably would work okay with as little stretch except as absolutely necessary to remove sags.

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Was in my early 50's when diagnosed with cataracts and consequently had surgery on both eyes just afterward. Mine came on due to spending a number of years on limerock surfaces in the bright Florida sun. It was common among men in the field of work I was in, road construction. I thought I needed brighter light bulbs to see better, so I kept increasing the wattage until I was working on my models using a 250 watt bulb. My wife said, you need to see an eye doctor. I did, and the rest was history. The good news, it was immediate relief after the surgery. I literally came out of surgery with 20-20 vision. I had mine done at St Lukes clinic where a Doctor Gills was known worldwide for his cataract surgery, people coming from all over the country, and even from foreign countries to get their eye surgery there. Don't know if it's the same today, but I was given the choice of distance vision or closeup vision without corrective lenses. I chose distance vision so I would not need glasses to drive, just reading glasses. Alternatively, I could have chosen one eye with distance vision and the other with closeup vision but I didn't like the sound of that. Dr Gills said you get accustomed to it, but I stuck with the uncorrected long-distance vision for both eyes. Glad I did that. No problems since then, and that's been more than 16 years ago.

10 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I now have "all three" kinds of cataracts in their early stages of formation. No doubt this is from years of squinting at tiny modeling elements.

Hi Chris, let me add to what already said on this subject, having had the same problem and, luckily, a very satisfactory solution of it.

I do not think that you activity of making models had anything to do with the insurgence of a cataract (although I rekonise that you used the sentence ironically). Among causes, we have: genetics, ageing and degradation due to UV exposure. I had all of these (I spent in my youth lot of time in sunny places without any sunglasses protections). Said that, the surgery resolved the problem brilliantly and I could see the world with new eyes (literally).

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

I'm 4 weeks post cataract surgery in both eyes, I'm 81. Medicare won't pay for surgery until the corrected vision is 20/50 and will only cover single vision distance correction, no bifocals, or astigmatism correction. I'm both nearsighted and have astigmatism in both eyes. My left eye finally met the criteria but the right eye didn’t,  but once the left eye was done it created a huge imbalance in my vision which then made my right eye eligible for Medicare coverage to correct the imbalance caused by surgery. ( Love those government bureaucrats! ) As a kid I always wore sunglasses because my eyes were hypersensitive to bright sunlight. But Dan is right it's genetic, age related and UV exposure.  Now I can pass the DMV Vision Test and drive without glasses but can't see (clearly) the food on my dinner plate. 😒  Once both eyes have completely healed the doctor will prescribe reading glasses.  In the meantime they gave me a pair of dime store cheaters, 2.50 diopters, for reading.

12 hours ago, ccoyle said:

No doubt this is from years of squinting at tiny modeling elements

Chris, I'm told that will make nearsightedness worse. 

Craig, that prop is incredible - really nice job!

@ccoyle, I used Infini line on my Shimakaze build and really liked it.  It's definitely better scale for ships than I think EZ Line, which by the way isn't too bad itself.  Properties are very similar to EZ Line.  EZ Line I believe is flat, but not sure about the Infini line - at such small diameters, you really can't see the difference so personally I'm not bothered by it.  As Craig noted, it's nice that Infini includes diameters (in deniers).  FWIW, they also make rigging line for planes.  Free Time Hobbies has Infini line in stock, in fact, I just ordered some as part of an order for other stuff that arrived today.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

35 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Free Time Hobbies has Infini line in stock

Yep, that's where I ordered from as well.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Nice ! Great job on both model and display stand.  👏  Looks like a Lafayette Escadrille airfield

Edited by Jack12477

A true beauty. I really like the rigging and the prop. With the little base, it makes a very fine addition in the display shelf, Chapeau!

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

Lovely model and beautiful presentation. As said, there is a lot to like: the careful assebly, the great finish, the rigging, the propeller, the many details, etc.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

I will put a dull coat over all to unify the model

Are you aiming at muting the large decals? In that case, I might see your point.

Have you tried to play a bit with post-processing the picture? I would like to see one of them turned into B/W or, better, to sepia.

Congrats,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

10 minutes ago, Danstream said:

Are you aiming at muting the large decals? In that case, I might see your point.

Have you tried to play a bit with post-processing the picture? I would like to see one of them turned into B/W or, better, to sepia.

Yes, to mute the national markings primarily.

I never tried it before, but this is a photo edit I found:

F8464622-9D96-4010-9570-61F962FA0450.jpeg

Beautiful job as always Craig, and the display base is fantastic!  You've inspired me to pull mine out once I get through my current plane models in progress.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Excellent finish Craig  - looks Superb  on that base.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

A brilliant set up for an excellently finished plane, great work Craig!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

very nice looking model Craig.......the rigging is really sweet!  well done with the display stand too :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Another superb build, Craig. Very nice display on some cow pasture in NE France.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Public Service Announcement - Newsflash!

Andy's Hobby Headquarters NEW (andyshhq.com)

as of 6:00 PM tonight will be taking preorders for brand spanking new WINGNUT WINGS kits. 

As you may or may not know, Wingnut Wings, a New Zealand company produced the finest injection molded 1:32 WW1 kits ever made but went out of business about 2 years ago. This caused the Wingnut Wings kit prices to skyrocket to astronomical prices on Ebay, making them out of reach for many modelers. Well, today, the kits are coming back on the scene. Andy is received a 40-foot container of the kits sometime in mid-December and is taking preorders as of 6:00 PM today. Don't know exactly what is going to be available nor the prices yet, but you can bet I am going to visit the site at 6:00.