Hawker Tempest by Javlin - FINISHED - Revell/Special Hobby - 1/32

That is looking so sharp  -  the decs  sure  bring it together.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 6/21/2023 at 9:42 PM, realworkingsailor said:

Everyone who I’ve seen building a model with invasion stripes (myself included) works diligently to make the stripes to exact width and straightness, with perfect colour separation etc. When the fact of the matter is, when the ground crews actually applied the stripes, there was no such attention to detail. I’ve read reports of the stripes being applied to aircraft on the day before D-Day with a mop! (Some weren’t even fully dry the day of).

Your striping looks pretty great to me!

Andy

You are correct, invasion recognition stripes would have been last minute additions in the field, applied with a broad brush.

If the Germans had known, they'd have applied them too, just to add confusion.

There are plenty of period photo's illustrating how crude they could be. I wouldn't be surprised if some were painted in the dark!

Preserved Warbird's have all their graphics stencilled or use vinyl applied these days.

I know the US stencilled a lot of their markings, but the majority of British ones were hand drawn/painted.

Perhaps a subtle difference to some, but today's practice isn't exactly authentic.

19 minutes ago, shipman said:

Perhaps a subtle difference to some, but today's practice isn't exactly authentic.

It's even more pronounced with British aircraft... British aircraft carried id stripes on their wings long before D-Day, (from late '42 I believe) especially the low flying types... There are numerous examples in the photo archives as well... In fact the whole invasion stripes idea was an RAF one.... (with thousands of aircraft in the skies and an expected massive response from the Luftwaffe planned for, they ordered the stripes installed on every aircraft that contributed to the invasion)

Original British ID stripes were not even in width nor in length... the Air ministry ordered the RAF aircraft repainted with the same pattern used on US aircraft so there would be NO mistakes in the air...

And one must admit, with the stripes in place, one glance told you which side the aircraft was on... They were very effective...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I see and know there is truth in what is being mentioned but knowing the Brits with their precision about their camo in A/B scheme somewhere along the line those stripes would of gotten better by both the Army Air Corps and the British,willy nelly probably went out the window.The stencils are complete,glass dipped and prop built/painted.The actual L/G placement seems to be an area of concern for a few who ditched the kit that will not happen here!;)

April 1943.... Typhoon Mk I with ID stripes...

Hawker_Typhoon_MkIB.jpg.cb58976acdb25a2e1e58ecf5f158101d.jpg

The pattern is different, D-Day invasion stripes were 18" wide on single engine aircraft and 24" wide on twin engine aircraft and were composed of alternating white and black stripes three white stripes and two black stripes...

From the pic above you can clearly see that the standard RAF pattern was four 12" black stripes and three 24" white stripes...

The orders were issued in late may to change over and some aircraft didn't start until June 3rd so yea, there was some sloppy striping done as no masking was used... A simple chalk line and 4" brushes handled most of it....  But trying to spot the sloppiness on an aircraft say 15 yrds away was next to impossible... They weren't mopped like with a floor mop they did take a modicum of care in doing it...

I've yet in all my years looking to see a pic of invasion stripes that were anything but straight and basically even in width...

They weren't that bad....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

3 hours ago, shipman said:

Thank you for that,

I've still not seen an image of any allied aircraft with "Mop" painted invasion stripes... Two pics and a journalist's opinion showing the unfinished application of stripes to aircraft means it was sloppy work does not make proof ...

Just my opinion which is probably not worth much either....

Sorry, not trying to argue here.... the order to remove them also was not completely carried out on many aircraft as well, I touched on this in my P-51 B build log where many of the fighter units only removed them from the upper surfaces of the aircraft leaving them on the undersides making for some very unique applications of said stripes...

There is also the scale effect to consider as well, A slightly irregular line in real life will appear as arrow straight at a distance... (or in scale which translates visually as distance) No they weren't perfect that is true...

But they were not only very effective, in most cases, they were attractive as well....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

mop stripes.........now we know why the pictures were only in black n white :D   they look great.........scares the hell out of me just look'in at 'em!  super job thus far :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Folks back home were doing their bit living with rationing. My Mom and aunts told their tales to us Baby Boom kids.

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

This is going slower than expected but I bit the bullet and did a weathering just sloshed the Tamy Brown and let it sit overnight.I think it will pass some areas on the side of the fuse R/side the future was thin and ate through in the sense the more I wiped the stickier it got and went "gotta fix that".I used a sponge and tweezers litely dipped in the respective color and all worked out just did not want brush marks.I usually go semi-gloss but seeing she's been a workhorse since D-day went dead flat.I am about to gloss black the LG and do the silver.I still at best guess another week of work on this one little stuff bombs and canopy and weathering the WW always more.She's not the best as far as weathering but I seldom attempt this part out of fear I dove.:hsmack:

Tempest 001.JPG

Tempest 002.JPG

Tempest 003.JPG

Tempest 004.JPG

6 minutes ago, CDW said:

Looks excellent with that wash.

Thanks Craig I could of left her as is :default_wallbash: I went to go look at pics of the exhaust flow/pipes color and these crates were pretty well maintained not that I did not see some with flight hours.Live and Learn got some practice though:rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Javlin said:

Thanks Craig I could of left her as is :default_wallbash: I went to go look at pics of the exhaust flow/pipes color and these crates were pretty well maintained not that I did not see some with flight hours.Live and Learn got some practice though:rolleyes:

In 'Nam, our choppers weren't washed except by the rain and wipe downs by the crew chief and 1st mech.   Exhaust was rusty. and paint had a lot of worn spots where the maintenance guys walked and worked. There were oil and soot streaks but sometimes didn't get cleaned up due to time.  Most CC's would try to touch up the paint from the worn spots but it was rather iffy as to finding time to do that.  No rust on anything not steel such as skin, blades.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Alright time to move on fellas to the next project.The inner door actuators kept braking off so made them out of .015" guitar string with a brass head then drilled the body of the actuator and just glued to the door only(bad pic).I used Alcad smoke first time ever using it easy just went a little heavy on the R/side of the plane.The bombs got a wash of Tamiya brown right on MrColor and then Tamiya grey wash both done with a q-tip did not touch the paint.Thanks for looking and the likes.;)

Tempest 003.JPG

Tempest 004.JPG

Tempest 005.JPG

Tempest 006.JPG

Tempest 007.JPG

Tempest 008.JPG

Tempest 009.JPG

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

29 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Nicely done!

Thanks Phil I enjoyed this build it was a challenge I have seen others on other forums drop the build and one on YT as much that Special Hobby replied to the builder.The kit is definitely a builder making a Nice representation of the  the A/C if I say so myself.I am thinking of ordering the SP WhirlWind in 1/32 another kit were people do not like their instructions once you to the WW/LG area?This is my 2nd SP Kit and yes both required attention in that part of the A/C but a challenge is fun sometimes over the shake-n-bake kits.I think the next build will be Eduard's Mk XVI Spitfire started some time ago I may actually clear out a few ole builds.I need to start on another floor cabinet like the other one things are getting full!!:rolleyes:

That  looks  Excellent.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Beautiful work, Javlin.  You've overcome the "bad" instructions very well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A British airborne dust broom... Nothing below 10,000ft could escape being swept away....

One of the very few planes that terrified Luftwaffe pilots....

Very nicely done.....

Quote:

Wow Kevin!!  Another beauty, great job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)