L'Amarante 1749 by giampieroricci - FINISHED - 1:30 - French Corvette

The carvings look perfect!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's quite spectacular - both the carving and the quality of the rest of the build.  Congratulations.

Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

How is a small decoration born? Many ask me what technique I use or what tools I use for the small decorations of my model. I thought that maybe a video can give the right answers. Obviously it's a lot of speed up, it took me about three hours to make a small frieze like the one in the video, but I think you understand it well ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cl5zRTmyYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzEC_9yf4Sg

Edited by giampieroricci

Thank you for the videos.  They explain the carving very well.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

While the carving is exceptional I would have expected extensive scarring on the finger tips.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

A lesson of carving

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

One way to avoid carving up your fingers is to mount the blank piece on a backing block of wood. I use PVA glue to hold it. That way, fingers are well out of the way and one has good control while carving. When the complete, I soak the carving and block in isopropanol (rubbing alcohol 99%) to release it.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Very, very nice

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

On 6/27/2015 at 11:00 AM, giampieroricci said:

These days I proceeded to finish outside of the model: I have given two coats of sealer and, after finely sanded, two coats of paint opaque transparent finish. All spray with airbrush.

post-7696-0-06511400-1435427977_thumb.jpg

post-7696-0-98522500-1435427979_thumb.jpg

post-7696-0-33316100-1435427982_thumb.jpg

post-7696-0-06168100-1435427974_thumb.jpg

post-7696-0-09284200-1435427984_thumb.jpg

post-7696-0-20313100-1435427986_thumb.jpg

post-7696-0-32112000-1435427988_thumb.jpg

post-7696-0-26367400-1435427990_thumb.jpg

A little late to the party but absolutely beautiful work!!! Could i get some more details on your finish? What type of sealer and transparent paint? Thank you! Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

Just amazing carvings.  I'm going to print some of the photos for inspiration when I need it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

"Tout le monde connaît le nom du Vengeur,
combien peu connaissent celui du Redoutable!"
-- Auguste Jal, 1867

https://www.olivers-historic-shipyard.com/

on Facebook Olivers Historic Shipyard
on YouTube  Olivers Historic Shipyard
on Instagram  Olivers Historic Shipyard

in work:

La Belle 1/36 POF
Le Redoutable 1/48 POF; 74-Gun Temeraire-Class by Jacques-Noël Sané
Bucentaure 1/48 POF; 80-Gun Bucentaure-Class by Jacques-Noël Sané