Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Looking real sharp Mark. A great little masterpiece. Good work

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Nicely done Mark it will be great to see the hull again when you have finished all the fairing, I am sure that you feel the same way.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Mike,

You have good eyes.  :)  There's a couple of places like that on the framing where I got a bit carried away sanding. At some point in the fairing, I'll fill the low spots with a bit of wood as I know I'm not 100% accurate on the cutting.  I wouldn't ignore them but as I said, they can be filled and faired in. If you look close, you'll see at the bow and stern that I've already filling in some where the "points" on the frame didn't got all the way to the rabbet.

I figure, with luck, I've got a about a weeks worth of work on fairing ahead of me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

“Yeah for me...after 11 days and 3 tries, the hawse timbers are cut, assembled, shaped, and installed.”  Yes, hooray.  That’s when I go into my happy dance.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Ben,

I may get another run at them... I still have to final shape and fair them.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mark,

How you doing buddy? Wow you really are on your way here. Looks fantastic. They slowed us up here at work, so i had time to read thru on your build. Maybe if things get slower, I might head back into modeling some. ;) Though gonna miss making some damn good $$$. But your boat(SHIP) here is looking really great my friend. Hope things are well. I have seen the new rules to keep CHIT CHAT DOWN on build logs. So i will stay the course. But have not been HERE in a very long time.

Take care my north west buddy,

MARIO :cheers: 

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Good to see you've returned, Mario.  I'm guessing the snow is chasing you guys out of the mountains already?

Thanks for the kind words. I'll pop you a PM.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Real  nice work Mark...... the framing looks very intimidating ..... but it looks like it does'nt seem to  bother you any.....  again.....Great !! work

Mark.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mark, been a while since I checked in, wonderful to see what you are doing.  Licorne makes a nice change to the usual suspects.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

nice work on those timbers.......the bow frames are nicely shaped!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you for all the "likes" and comments. 

Hawse timbers... version 4.5 (1 side was replaced once, the other twice).   The hard part (to me) is that lines drawing give no shape to the bow forward of the first cant fram so I'm fumbling with templates and photos.  I think I'm close.  I've filled in most of the low spots and sanded down the highs.  Cherry has this nice feature ;) that if it ages a bit and darkens, when you sand it the sanded parts become light. This, coupled with a batten and templates gives you a pretty good idea of where one stands in the fairing.

They still need more fairing but I need to hold off a bit.  Frankly, I'm getting tired of the sawdust in the air at the moment.  :)   The reality is, I need to put in the gunport sills and fair those in.  And then the interior.  The deck clamp "knees" (actualy just nubs of wood) need to be worked such to give a smooth sheer to the clamps.  I'll have to hold on the clamps though, until the stern is finished.

Yes, I'm avoiding the stern like the plague.  Hahn doesn't give you a template on the plans for the transoms so I'm sorting this out.  I have the stern framing showing height and width of the timbers, the side showing the location and depth but no top view showing the shape.  Again, much staring at the prints and Hahn's limited build photos.  This seems to be one of those areas that are "up to the builder" to sort out like the quarter galleries.   Speaking of which I'm also sorting out that area as it's not really defined on the prints as to timbers.  However, I'm putting together a plan, which if it works I'll happy dancing for weeks.

So... to the pictures.  The first three show the hawse timbers and cant frames.  None of this will be visible when planked.  The last is kinda' artsy-craftsy looking at the interior so I can get an idea of amount of fairing in there to be done.

post-76-0-39104600-1412214851_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-81316100-1412214857_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-75919300-1412214863_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-76200400-1412214868_thumb.jpg

As always, feel free to click on any picture to enlarge it to full size.  Oh.. sorry for the sawdust and debris.  I really need to hit this with the shop vac.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice work and well worth the reworked bits Mark; she is looking really nicely symmetrical even without final fairing.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Fine work, she's really looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Really top notch stuff!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

VERY impressive work Mark.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Mark the last shot looks very architectural, the hull is looking quite fine so far.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Very nice Mark !

It looks a little like the Arc of Triumph.....( or a rose arch  :D  :D )

Sjors

So if I don't like this, plant roses around it???   :huh:  Hmm...  ^_^

I just started the gunports today... gonna' be a bit before pictures of any progress.  I must admit, I'm glad this isn't a 74.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Wow, she's coming on a real treat mate, you've made some good progress there.

Love that last shot.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks Mobbsie.

Very nice work and well worth the reworked bits Mark; she is looking really nicely symmetrical even without final fairing.

cheers

Pat

I think you're right.  I admit that the pics came out better than I thought. When I look at her, I see the boo-boos.

Hi Mark. Wow, that looks nice! I especially love the last photo showing the full upside down structure. In fact, with a bit of imagination, it won't take much to picture the fully planked hull coming to fruition. Well done.

All the best and happy modelling!

I've run my test plank over this thing at least 100 times and I'll do it again before I lay the first plank.  I think the visualization is important so, I'm seeing the planking taking shape in my head.

Mark the last shot looks very architectural, the hull is looking quite fine so far.

Michael

I thought the same thing when I shot it.  It was just there, staring at me and I popped a picture.    A lucky shot, so to speak. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Macro shots have white side and dark side, and sometimes can be dangerous for Ego

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks for the comments and the likes.  

I did do a re-do but not on the ship.  There's a discusson about the Byrne's saw in the tool section that got me thinking more and off my butt to do something I've been wanting to do.

MicroMark sells a high fence and featherboard set, which I've had for some time now.   The high fence actually just slides over the fence supplied with the saw and is held in place with 3 screws..

post-76-0-58276300-1412467224.jpg

So, I modified it by cutting it just a bit more than half.  A brief test shows that it works well and I couldn't force the thing to do a kickback on me.  So back to doing gunports. :)

post-76-0-90566200-1412467229_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-22753900-1412467236_thumb.jpg.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: