Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

In addition to what Druxey mentioned, I picked up a trick from Chuck Passaro re bending.  I still spile rather than edge-bend, and have found a very good (hot) hair drier or iron works well for face bending and twisting.  I hardly ever wet planks any more.

Maury

I've been reading and re-reading those tutorials as well as the Jim Roberts' book on planking.   And I should add.. Dan's wisdom has helped immensely with this.

I don't have issues, at this point, with the lining and spiling, or the bending and fitting of planks.  What has been giving me fits until I started sketching out the area is where the stern ends of the planks start to come around the end of the hull to start landing on the transom.   There's a fashion piece that covers the counter and the ends of the hull planks.  After re-studying, re-thinking, the Licorne drawings just weren't detailed enough as I was cutting the fashion piece short by about 1/8" or so.  Just enough that I was seeing gaps and not a happy camper with the appearance.   I've delved into a couple of French frigate monographs and have sorted out that that the lower end of the fashion piece and plank ends are hidden by the quarter gallery drop. 

The solution was simple once I figured out what was needed...  

Now that the laser cutter is sorted out, I'm focusing on finishing up the wide planking... sanding... and hopefully pictures in a couple of days.   After this, it's the garboard strake and then lining off the rest of the hull for the narrow planking.   A bit of the pain to have several different widths of hull planking but it's sorting itself out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Some proof of life and work in progress....

I think I'm getting the hang of this.... I've planked both sides with required wide wale planks.  The port side has been sanded but not finish sanded.. pretty rough sanded if you ask me, but it's ready for the narrow hull planks to be laid down.  I need to sand the starboard side which should commence this afternoon... I hope.

The stern/transom area I think I have sorted out.  There's a covering piece needed and the fashion piece along the counter to the transom as well as the covering board where the transom meets the counter.  These will be finished once the planking is complete but before final sanding....

The planks look a bit damp as I've wiped them down with some water to clear off most of the sanding dust and also to help raise the grain a tad.  I've got a couple of pesky dings that need to be addressed and this is the logical (to my mind) starting point for that process. 

post-76-0-36385300-1435170083_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-44349400-1435170094_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-90226300-1435170103_thumb.jpg

As always, clicking on the photos will enlarge them and comments and advice are welcome.

On a side-note, I'm also developing drawings for the laser cutter to produce all the carving blanks, windows, gun carriages, carved railings, and assorted fiddly bits like the ship's boats.   Some of this stuff is just too darn tiny to cut on a scroll saw.. or I need new eyes.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work Mark.  Wow, this lady sure has a lot of curves!  I can see how all the spilling, etc. takes plenty of time.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Your planking is looking mighty fine there Mark. Don't know what you could have been worried about, because it seems like you've got a good handle on it. ;)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Well, you certainly sorted out that little problem Mark, lovely bit of work mate.

Its as Jim said " looks like you getting the hang of it". Well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Coming along very nicely indeed Mark - she looks good with her skirts being added :)

Laser cutter?  Now that is getting radical ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Very Cool Mark , She's looking really Good ,Nice work 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Very nicely done on the planking Mark. Can't wait to see your laser cutting results.

Mark, you planking is flawless.  That hull does look like it is a rough one for laying a straight plank.

David B

making some really nice progress with the planking Mark.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the "likes" and all the comments...

Beautiful work Mark.  Wow, this lady sure has a lot of curves!  I can see how all the spilling, etc. takes plenty of time.

Therein is part of the slowness of this.  Every strake is needing spiling somewhere.... 

Your planking is looking mighty fine there Mark. Don't know what you could have been worried about, because it seems like you've got a good handle on it. ;)

I'll be sweating over this until it's done...  :)

Hi Mark

What a beauty! I especially love the hull when viewed from the stern quarter in the last photo.

Good luck with the laser cutting as that'll definitely make life easier in the long run.

All the best!

Patrick

I'm liking the way the lines are coming out, myself.   As for the cutter.. it's already been a help... and a source of aggravation and also fun.

Coming along very nicely indeed Mark - she looks good with her skirts being added :)

Laser cutter?  Now that is getting radical ;)

cheers

Pat

I got to get a bit radical.. cutting out the stern decoration would have driven me to strong drink. :)

Mark, you planking is flawless.  That hull does look like it is a rough one for laying a straight plank.

David B

Indeed.  I know what you mean about the roughness... I'm touching up the fairing as I plank.  So far, so good.

For those who might be curious and missed it... here's the review of the laser cutter: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10711-micro-mark-microlux-laserknife-2525-–-a-review/   I've just started the tweaking process.. a new and better lens and lens mounting is coming in Friday.  Maybe a higher power cutting tube next.    I just never could leave anything including most of my cars as "stock". 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Wow!  I missed all the fun.....but I'm back.

That is one heck of a turn at the counter.  But you're making it look easy.  She is coming alive!

Well done, mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Some proof of life and work in progress....

I think I'm getting the hang of this.... I've planked both sides with required wide wale planks.  The port side has been sanded but not finish sanded.. pretty rough sanded if you ask me, but it's ready for the narrow hull planks to be laid down.  I need to sand the starboard side which should commence this afternoon... I hope.

The stern/transom area I think I have sorted out.  There's a covering piece needed and the fashion piece along the counter to the transom as well as the covering board where the transom meets the counter.  These will be finished once the planking is complete but before final sanding....

The planks look a bit damp as I've wiped them down with some water to clear off most of the sanding dust and also to help raise the grain a tad.  I've got a couple of pesky dings that need to be addressed and this is the logical (to my mind) starting point for that process. 

attachicon.gif2-5a.JPG

attachicon.gif2-5b.JPG

attachicon.gif2-5c.JPG

As always, clicking on the photos will enlarge them and comments and advice are welcome.

On a side-note, I'm also developing drawings for the laser cutter to produce all the carving blanks, windows, gun carriages, carved railings, and assorted fiddly bits like the ship's boats.   Some of this stuff is just too darn tiny to cut on a scroll saw.. or I need new eyes.  :)

Sorry Mark, I was looking at the third photo. By drawing on the background it seems to me that the strakes at the stern should have a more harmonious bending and not folded so neatly. Perhaps the transom should be tapered a little to avoid the edge so sharp. Or am I wrong?

post-7696-0-04988500-1435335923_thumb.jpg

Hhhhhmmmmmmm a new toy you have I seeeeee May have to befriend you and use your playthings someday lol Glad you have a new toy Hope you can get it down pat then you could charge dummies like me to make fun stuff

I'd suggest you contact Chuck....  :)   I have no desire to go commercial...  I'm supposed to be retired. :D  :D :D  :D  

Wow!  I missed all the fun.....but I'm back.

That is one heck of a turn at the counter.  But you're making it look easy.  She is coming alive!

Well done, mate!

Thanks Augie.  They still need work....

Sorry Mark, I was looking at the third photo. By drawing on the background it seems to me that the strakes at the stern should have a more harmonious bending and not folded so neatly. Perhaps the transom should be tapered a little to avoid the edge so sharp. Or am I wrong?

attachicon.gifpost-76-0-90226300-1435170103.jpg

You are correct.  That was one of the things giving me problems. The plans for this area are a bit vague.   I do plan on re-shaping and getting that curve in once the rest of the planks are on the transom.  I purposely went thick on these planks so I could shape them correctly.  I guess I wasn't clear about finish sanding after the planks are on. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark, she's looking really good. How about some pictures of your new toy and what you can do with it....

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Happy birthday, Mark. Have a nice day with your family.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Happy Birthday Mark!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Happy B day Mark. Your build looks awesome and is making me lean toward the dark side for my next build... :)

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)