Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Fantastic work, shame you have to hide it with planking. As for the wood to use Cherry will look good and provide a contrast to the frames.

David B

I agree with David

Great work on Her

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks for all the comments and "likes".

mighty sweet looking frame Mark ;)   can you still get planking from Jeff?  are you planking her from the bottom up.......and does this mean she'll be leaving the jig?  congratz Mark.....this is quite a milestone!

No need to buy more wood at this point.  I have a nice stash. ;)   Fully planked, sir, but it won't come out of the jig until the exterior planking is finished and may leave it there while I do much of the internal work.   It makes a nice way to hold it.

Right now, it looks like these will be the woods...

Ebony - wales (but not all main, only the top strake), rails, stern above the windows, the trim where the counter meets the hull. Quarter gallery trim.  I'm also thinking the yards but that may change to something with an ebony stain.

Swiss Pear -  external planking.

Boxwood - decking and carvings, trim strips on the stern above and below the windows and the window framing.  Also, quarter galleries.  Possibly the masts but that's subject to change.  Also maybe gratings, not sure just yet.

Pear - coamings, pin rails, bitts, head rails, capstans and possibly some on the galleries.

Silver Maple - ceiling and inner bulwarks. Probably gratings, not sure.

Holly - figurehead with hopefully ebony for hooves and eyes, as it is a unicorn. :)

I'm undecided still on the gun carriages (maybe pear or swiss pear? I also have some nice walnut that might work.)  Same goes for the Great Cabin... maybe boxwood or pear for the trim fittings.  Need to think on what to put in there as furniture, if any and also things like buckets, gun handling items.... we'll see.

Anyway back to figuring out what I need to mill and how much. And more importantly, how to do the milling.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

WOW, that's looking mighty fine Mark!  Congrets with this milestone and now planking.  Am looking forward seeing you progress with that fun job.  I love planking!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the "likes and" comments.

Just a break from building here while dimensioning my Swiss Pear supply for this.

For hull planking, I'm need 4 sizes of wood:  1/32" X 1/8",  3/32" X 3/16", 1/16" X 1/8" and 1/16" X 3/16".

I have an ample supply of planking wood that is  +1/16" X +1/8" and +3/32 X +3/16" that I'm converting down.  I've been testing out my technique on this and sorting things out.  For the first batch of 1/32" X 1/8", what I'll be doing is running it through the thicknesser to get it down to 1/32" (dead on exact) and then running it thought the table saw with a 230T blade to get the exact 1/8" I want..   For those on metric, 1/32" is equal to about 1mm. 

I give the raw dimensions as "+" because they're all a tad oversize and the oversize seems to be inconsistent.

I'm attaching two pics of the saw with the wood being run through it.  You can see that very little wood is being removed and also how I'm keeping my big paws away from the blade. 

I hope to have planking underway pretty soon.  In fact, maybe tomorrow, I'll take a break from dimensioning and do the counter.  Hmmm... I need some ebony for the stern above the lights so I'll have to do that also.

Overall view:  post-76-0-24470000-1419220742_thumb.jpg

Close up of blade area:  post-76-0-60632300-1419220747_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Oh crap... I just noticed I have the blade in backwards.....  :o  

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

LOL!  :P  Saves wear and tear on those cutting teeth though eh?  :D  I like your home-made feather-boards. Did Jim tool up the miter track adapter for you?

Hope everybody has a Happy Holiday post-12186-0-45714900-1419225036.gif

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

LOL!  :P  Saves wear and tear on those cutting teeth though eh?  :D  I like your home-made feather-boards. Did Jim tool up the miter track adapter for you?

Hope everybody has a Happy Holiday post-12186-0-45714900-1419225036.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

George,

I don't have a Jim Saw...those are from MicroMark as I have their saw.   Hmm.. I'm wondering if it would save the cost of blades to run them backwards?   :D  :D :D  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

... would also save on the cost of wood.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Nah, you would neither save on blades nor on wood. The blades would wear faster as the hardened teeth would be last to touch wood, and the wood would be unusable due to the ugly grooves and most probably a wobbly cutting stroke ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Very interesting solution for keeping your fingers away from the blade.

Did you made this by yoursel?

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Beats gnawing on them ala the beaver. But, not by much! :rolleyes:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1/32" planking...yowza!!  Mighty thin...not much there for sanding.  Where will those planks go?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thank you for the "likes" and comments even when I've done a bone-headed stunt like that.  It keeps me honest and on my toes.

Very interesting solution for keeping your fingers away from the blade.

Did you made this by yoursel?

Christian,

The modified fence idea came from Grant and Danny and fences are just a bit of creative usage.   So.. no... I stole all the ideas.

1/32" planking...yowza!!  Mighty thin...not much there for sanding.  Where will those planks go?

Chuck,

They go from the main wales up and there's one wide one for the garboard strake.   Hopefully, I won't need a lot of sanding.  I'll recheck the fairing after I'm done cutting as I've found one small area that needs a tweak in the fairing. 

I hope everyone has a great Holiday and in the meantime, I'll keep thicknessing and cutting for now.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you for the "likes" and comments even when I've done a bone-headed stunt like that.  It keeps me honest and on my toes.

Christian,

The modified fence idea came from Grant and Danny and fences are just a bit of creative usage.   So.. no... I stole all the ideas.

No problem, I think I will make another ripp-off ;)

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Errors or not Mark, that's still a nice build and informative log.

Best wishes for s a safe and happy festive season.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Mark,

Just catching up with my favorite builds, it seems I have a lot of catching up to do ;)

Wow! Licorned is looking superb Sir, that is one mighty fine ship, lovely lines and lovely looking stern! :D

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

So who would have thought that for the last two days I've been running around in a short-sleeved shirt outside.  It's been almost 70 degrees F.   Now it's more normal, raining and In the 40's.  Which means, the sawpits have been busy. 

Christian, use whatever is useful to you. 

Pat, thank you for the nice comment.

Aldo.. I've missed seeing you around.  I hope you're doing better. And thanks for the nice comment.

George and everyone else, may Christmas be filled with love and warmth and the new year with good things and good times.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark you can blame the tooth issue on the balmy weather, that you had a bit of sunstroke ;)

Merry Christmas

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

First bit of planking is done with Swiss Pear.   Just the counter so far.  I've hung the stern post and rudder blank for position and to make sure I made the hole right.

There will be a bit of ebony trim over the exposed yellowheart after the rest of the planking goes one.  And "above" the counter and below the lights I'll be putting in the shaped trim strip after the rest of the stern has been planked.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased.

post-76-0-11823000-1419811642_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-90810200-1419811647_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-23843500-1419811653_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Love that Swiss Pear   :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

That swiss pear makes for some nice planking Mark.  ;) Will you be using the pear for all of it? Hope you and yours have a safe and Happy New Year!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Beautiful work Mark.  I love the swiss pear.  Hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)