HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Remco, you must have some kind of magical powers to keep the frames aligned during construction without a building board. How do you do it?

Also, we must be polar opposites. I work mostly standing up and my workspace is usually a mess.

Ed

For some reason Remco is the only one who never seems to have a mess. Dam I have a mess with just the computer section of the new work bench/shop. I also work sitting down, but I also don't have a choice with they way my back and knee is. Remco muct clean up before he takes the pictures, we all make a mess LOL. Keep the pictures coming, I have been watching this build since you started on MSW 1.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Ed no magical powers, I did use a building board to erect the frames and to make measurements inside the hull. But whenever possible I take the model from the board and work seated.

Ok, maybe the space are I do most of my work is tidy the rest of my shop isn't. Especially for you Joe I immediately took a picture as the shop is right now. A bit distorted as I made a panorama picture to capture the whole shop.

post-20-0-19125100-1382988208_thumb.jpeg

One might wonder why no storage on the walls, I had that in my previous shop and it takes away an enormous amount of light. One cannot have enough light :-) It looks small in the picture but the room is spacious enough measuring 4.40 x 2.70 m.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thank you Karl. 

Thanks Mark, it's just a line for positioning. I have to make a special cleat and rope to attach the blocks to the tops. You'll see.

Mark II, here's the how to. I used this link to understand how it works: http://www.animatedknots.com/spliceshort/index.php?Categ=splicing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

attachicon.gifIMG_9290.jpeg

First the length I need is laid out and tied off at both ends. The tips of the ropes are dipped in CA to prevent from unraveling

attachicon.gifIMG_9293.jpeg

The ends are brought together and tied again

attachicon.gifIMG_9294.jpeg

Then the lines are spliced using a needle, it took some time to understand how this works as its quite confusing 

attachicon.gifIMG_9295.jpeg

I opened the eye of the needle so I can insert the rope easily

attachicon.gifIMG_9296.jpeg

The finished splice

attachicon.gifIMG_9299.jpeg

The loop is glued to the block

attachicon.gifIMG_9300.jpeg

And then seized at both ends

attachicon.gifIMG_9301.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG_9302.jpeg

The result

Remco

I know it was early in the post but I like the process you used to make the splice. I my self spent 4 years splicng line when I was much younger sic, never thought I would use it again  OH well!! a good job and the link was a good teaching aid

Ps nice work space!

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

bigtree1993,

Have you read the log from the beginning like when he first started it on MSW1. You might think different about trying to buy one if you can, not too sure you can buy one of the same kits anymore unless someone wants to sell there's. There is another company that has them just can't remember who it is. Someone here will know. But Remco has put a heck of a lot of work into this, had to make things that didn't work or fit. He will tell you.

thank u ! i checked the info of this kit carefully.it is sold out  and  too difficult for me

Martin, on the left is a workbench I only use for building full size parts like jigs and furniture.

I had some alignment issues with the carlings so I decided to cut all the mortices for the remaining beams and marked them all using a batten. Important lesson to remember for the upper deck.... Pillars are installed temporarily and still need to be chamfered. 

post-20-0-77247900-1383428379_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco,

Excellent progress and by all standards, your work area is still neat and tidy. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark

I have a question, without really thinking about it I cut the mortices for the tabs of the beam arm half blind, but when is was shaping the tabs of the beam arm I started thinking if this is correct. The tabs could also be the full with of the receiving beam. TFFM discribes the beam arm is bolted to the opposing beam so the half blind mortices would give extra strength but the whole fitting is different than the carling and ledges so maybe unnecessary complicated. Its just to know how it was on a real ship because once fitted the different is not noticeable unless one could crawl under the lower deck :-) 

post-20-0-19417600-1383775573_thumb.jpeg

I haven't cut the thickness of the tabs yet so I can go either way.

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thanks Duffer.

Your right Joe.....

So I continued and didn't change the mortices. Getting the round up of the deck into this special beam took some patience...

post-20-0-48144000-1383863022_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Yeah, sometimes we get wrapped around the axle about details that may not really be known at this day and age.  Glad you went ahead with your gut-feeling.

That's a mighty fine knee beam you got there, looks nice and crisp.  It helps using good lumber.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks Piet.

Jan what can I say, the MSW Oracle didn't answer and I went forward taking a 50% bet I got it right  ;)

Meanwhile, more knee's opposing knee's gratings and so on. Everything is loosely fitted  before marking the mortices for the ledges. Doing tasks in batches certainly speeds things up.

post-20-0-92783800-1384200802_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-96045800-1384200805_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-36370700-1384200804_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-42034900-1384200807_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-91014400-1384200808_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thanks guys.

Greg the pins are easy to make, I think they rank amongst the top 10 most used tools in my build.

Ben, with my scroll saw they were relative easy to make and there were no remakes :-) 

I couldn't find an appropriated sized piece of brass for the iron knee so I made it from boxwood and tinted it black with Fiebing's leather paint

I'm also doing lot's of mortice cutting for the remaining carlings and ledges.

post-20-0-08186300-1384704768_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-14142400-1384704769_thumb.jpeg

A little off topic, but it was time to make a better storage for my chisels. They used to wander over my bench  with the tip protected by a little piece of isolation foam. This was a nice little project, keeps them safe and organized  

post-20-0-95056300-1384705102_thumb.jpeg

Remco

post-20-0-97231600-1384705276_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-89878400-1384705279_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

I like your build Remco

beautifull neat and tidy handcraft work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Remco,

I have just been able to catch up with your build. You are a consummate craftsman, and an inspiration. I found it challenging and tedious to fay the arm of a lodging knee to the curved face of the beam. You did a perfect job!

Best wishes,

mark 

That's one sweet looking ship Remco! and a lovely chisel box too :)  

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Remco, Do you have any pics of how you made the pins?  I have lots of very thin pins, but the knobs are too big for some work (like you're showing)  Thanks

Maury

Thanks guys for your very kind compliments.

Sure Maury, the pictures speak for them selfs. I use spring steel wire 0,5 mm cut to different lengths and the tip slightly grinded in to a point like a needle. After the copper wire is coiled it's silver soldered to the pin. I use a potato to act as a heat sink, you definitely don't want to anneal the steel, this happened to my first batch of pins  and the steel becomes soft. 

post-20-0-22628100-1384803850_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-44928800-1384803851_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-58163100-1384803852_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-67241600-1384803853_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Okay now I can make some pins! Thanks :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks for the explanation Remco I wondered about them as well. The copper gives a nice grip it look like.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Go for it guy's make lots and lots of pins  :) They are key to position parts temporarily, I don't exaggerate but I think any particular beam in this build is taken in and out at least 100 times to position parts, mark mortices etc etc. 

So today I did a little detailing of the gratings. I simulated the pins that were used by making small holes with a needle and then taking the same needle tip loaded with graphite to enhance the holes. This really takes your mind off-line  after a busy day  ^_^

post-20-0-60689400-1385152083_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-67372900-1385152084_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-91040100-1385152085_thumb.jpeg

For comparison, the 'big' bolts on the corners are 0,4 mm

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

A fantastic little detail, Remco! I had forgotten I had done this on my main deck gratings and sure enough, they were there. I believe I'm the only person who ever noticed this detail on my model...and promptly forgot about it. I also notice how perfect your gratings and battens fit the coamings and head ledges. Coincidence, or did you build them around the finished gratings?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752