HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

very nicely done as usual.  I'm glad you got the challenge too.  That will be a great guide for all of us.  Yes Piet, I'm boiling oil as we speak...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Brilliant!  It looks just like you think it should.

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

Just catching up Remco. Excellent work on the bricks and the pots. Most convincing modelwork, and soot.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

What can I say? I´m just a little girl on a toy shop with my mouth agape and shining eyes. Yours is really one of the best I´ve seen on details ever, and the bricks, wish I can do something like that someday. For now, I´m just admiring. Beautiful, amazing, well, u know your work is beyond the top. I´ll follow.

"I still haven't lost the key to the magazine  ;)"

I would think that the key to the Spirits room would be vastly more important. You wouldn't want to lose that!  Few if any would want to steal cartridges or gunpowder from the magazine. If on the other hand, they got into the Spirits room with that misplaced key.......

Edited by JTownsend

ba35eb79-7a8e-4eab-bbf5-f3e3c66a9218.png

__________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Remco,

Perfection. It is really interesting to see this earlier brick style stove. With my architecture background, it seems so incongruous to build bricks on top of a wooden frame, rather than a solid foundation in the ground. Would any engineers out there be able to calculate the weight of this relative to an iron stove?

Best wishes,

Mark

What can I say? I´m just a little girl on a toy shop with my mouth agape and shining eyes. Yours is really one of the best I´ve seen on details ever, and the bricks, wish I can do something like that someday. For now, I´m just admiring. Beautiful, amazing, well, u know your work is beyond the top. I´ll follow.

but a very pretty little girl.

aber ein sehr hübsches kleines Mädchen.   :10_1_10:

Regards Karl

Thanks all for your kind words. You are welcome to come over and cook a meal on the stove.

I've been busy with a side project, inspired by Geatans tool drawers I decided to rebuild one of my tool cabinets and upgraded a 5 drawer Ikea cabinet to a 9 drawer tool cabinet.

post-20-0-36526200-1391637475.jpeg

post-20-0-12049400-1391637476.jpeg

post-20-0-87333000-1391637476.jpeg

post-20-0-60599300-1391637477.jpeg

After that is was time to add more planking (more than I had intended before I started on the hearth. And making bulkheads. Here the first is ready with added small strips to act as rebates

post-20-0-07632700-1391637471_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-68453000-1391637472_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-31696400-1391637474_thumb.jpeg

The bulkheads are made from 20 cm strips, glued and then cut to size. I think this works better than my previous approach by gluing each strip in situ. Along the way I needed to make the upper deck hook to test fit the bulkhead.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

That drawer set is fantastic.  This is coming from someone who's Dremel, hand tools, sanding supplies, Optivisor, clamps, etc. all fit into a small tackle box to take with me when I travel to work.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

That drawer set is fantastic.  This is coming from someone who's Dremel, hand tools, sanding supplies, Optivisor, clamps, etc. all fit into a small tackle box to take with me when I travel to work.

Hmmm ..... mine are scattered over four workbenches, two shelves, two bookshelves and three sets of four-drawer cabinets :huh: .

AND .... I know where everything is  :D  . Well, ALMOST everything :huh: :D  .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

No can do John ;), but I can tell you it was a nice little project I can recommend to every one. Those shallow drawers are just great. Next to this I use Ikea's little boxes to store other tools and supply's unfortunately they don't sell this type any more, a real shame. I'm still looking for a better way to organize my sanding paper, keeping them in a big stack is not working...

post-20-0-02550600-1391975235_thumb.jpeg

So back to making bulkheads, I use wooden peg's under the stanchions to temporary fit and adjust until I'm getting a fit I like. 

post-20-0-35757400-1391975228_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-02867700-1391975230_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-34545600-1391975231_thumb.jpeg

The cook's working space was not very big. Behind the riding bitt's there is another bulkhead drawn on my plan I thin I'll make a nice cupboard for the cook to store his pot's, pan's and other tools.

post-20-0-56899200-1391975232_thumb.jpeg

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Excellent bulkheads Remco!

Can I ask for a closer view of that door? (both sides) and a silly question, do you "caulked" or tint the joints of the strips that make together the bulkheads?

Happy week ahead!

Daniel.

Immaculate and beautiful, Remco.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks all.

Yuk Grant ;)

Sure Daniel, the joints are tinted with graphite to enhance the joints. Otherwise the joints are almost invisible and the bulkhead will look like its made from one piece.

post-20-0-80375800-1392064636_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-51663900-1392064641_thumb.jpeg

Time to make some lanterns, the mullions were completely prepared on the table saw assembling was quite simple, once complete they were sanded down to the appropriate thickness

post-20-0-41989800-1392064640_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-72547100-1392064637_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-50627900-1392064635_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-06727100-1392064639_thumb.jpeg

Here they are temporary in place, I still need to add a vent but I'm not sure how long to make it, TFFM describes it should clear the deck head. Should it face away from the bulkhead or go up to the upper deck, some advice would be appreciated how I need to interpret this.

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hi Remco,

incredible work on lanterns and bulkheads! The fire hearth looks terrific, like every part of your model! I like it!

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Hi Remco...

all I can say is OMG

NEVER saw a build of this quality before. Your ar not a modeller but an artist !

Chapeau

Max

:pirate41:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Thank you Druxey, Alex, Max.

More doors, more bulkheads make up the carpenters store room and the carpenters cabin. 

post-20-0-30550800-1392414936_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-23894600-1392414938_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-45511000-1392414939_thumb.jpeg

There's also one between the bitts creating a small workspace for the cook. Let's see what I can do with that, I think a big cupboard makes sense.

post-20-0-97893200-1392414940_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-61638900-1392414942_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-12021100-1392414945_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Good to know that I am not the only one to do things like that. The tools and work on the ship do look rather crisp.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

By Jove, you are right, the lock is on the hinge side - - - must be a new fang-dangled invention.  Is there a patent on it???  All kidding aside, it all looks fantasimacorigig.  Now - - cupboards for the galley would really be the cat's meow.  Go for it and with working hinges and "stuff" inside - - - I'm the ships cook and need them  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)