HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Interesting dialog!  You can always dream up a likable story, like - - - they had problems with making the "new" Brodie stove, like problems with the moulds, poor iron alloy, poor casting, all that making delivery late.  So the Navy just told the shipwright, we can't wait any longer, so go ahead and build the brick hearth - - - we'll replace it later when Brodie has got their act together  ;)  ;)

I'm sure that a brick hearth will add a lot of interest and charm to he model.  You can weather it nicely with smoke stains, grease splatters, a spit, big iron cauldrons, iron hardware, etc.   Hmmmm, you can also add the cook :)  :)  ;) 

We can dream, but that's the fun part of these projects.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Ok , I accept the challenge Mr Druxey......... 

So first I need a plan to work from. Based on what I found researching the hearth I drafted this, no grill on the opposite side I guess as the hearth stands agains a bulkhead. Comments more than welcome!

post-20-0-73787800-1388936997_thumb.jpeg

Now how about making it from real bricks.... First a little testing with dummy wooden bricks to see if this could work. 

post-20-0-06013900-1388936999_thumb.jpeg

Woodglue tinted with pigment to give a mortar look. Not quite satisfied with that its to thin to make a real layer... need to think about this, maybe thin strips of paper to make the spacing between the bricks first..

post-20-0-11227000-1388937000_thumb.jpeg

This could work so I ordered some ceramic bricks from a modelshop, now all you guys have to do is wait until they arrive....

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hello Remco.  I couldn't help but see this dialog about bricking.  I recently finished bricking my Tryworks for the CW Morgan.  I used wood bricks, and for the mortar I found that at 1/64 scale a strip of cardsheet made from a beer carton was the closest to scale thickness that I needed.  I just recessed  them onto the top of the bricks, then laid the next layer.  It is not to your skill level, but acceptable for me.  I then painted the inside and the frontside with MS's white primer which is quite thick in consistency and it filled in the holes and became a very nice mortar.  I then painted the front of the bricks the proper color.  Anyway, just thoughts I'm sure you already know what your going to do....good luck, I'll be following this for sure...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Looking good, Remco! I made a very convincing brick hearth for Druid some time ago but it is hidden in the bows of the model. Long lengths of 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" stock were prepared with vertical "mortar joints" slit in every 8". These lengths were offset and laminated over slightly inset 1" fillers to represent the mortar in between layers. After assembly, the hearth was painted with antique white (making sure to get into all the mortar joints), followed by dry brushing the surface with a brick red color. It's more of an assembly line approach but it worked well for me. I've no doubt, however, that your's will look amazing whatever technique you use.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hey, Remco, go for it! I can't wait to see this at your usual exceptionally high standard!

Are you going to have to lower the beams at the bow to make this fit?

Best wishes,

Mark

Wow, real ceramic bricks, I'm impressed!  Your plan looks very good Remco.  With those ceramic bricks you could build a real fire in that thing and make some pizzas  ;)   I see you have a pizza oven!

Paper to simulate mortar is the way to go but let the cement or glue penetrate all the way through.  Paper tend to separate easy in the middle.  But then again, nobody is going to touch it after it's build.

You can use colored paper to simulate mortar, yes? 

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Remco. My name is Alexander. Sorry for the bad English. I'm from Russia and English writing bad. I have a question for you. In the drawings of the ship at Harold Hahn have drop deck. 

You done smoothly. Why? Incorrect information from Hahn?

Do you still have seen a caveat. Hahn place where joint border where you no longer vertical knee. Why?

post-9820-0-22681700-1389136237_thumb.jpg

post-9820-0-91134000-1389136336_thumb.jpg

Sincerely, Alexander
Commissioned carved work
Samples of my work: Carving from Belgorod

Hi Alexander,

Hann is correct my NMM plan also shows the drop in hight on the deck plan. But I noticed this too late and the deck was already installed, I'm not going to tear this out as long as all you guys at MSW don't tell anybody about my mistake. I followed the deck plan from TFFM and the layout of the hanging knee's that's why there is no additional hanging knee at the bow.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

An other trade to master, stone  masonry ... 

I cancelled the stones I had ordered and got a rubber mold from dioramadebris.co.uk instead , now I can cast my own bricks in the color I want. First I made a big batch with slightly different colors (plaster & pigment)

post-20-0-58756100-1396771433_thumb.jpeg

Then I had to find a way to make the mortar. At first I glued the sones with thin paper sheet in-between to get an even spacing. I had planned to use sculpey to make the mortar but this doesn't stick to plaster :-( 

So I had to find an other solution, from the DYI shop I got a pack with powder mixed with water this is used to fill holes in walls, as this dries in just under 1 hour it looked good, but this didn't stick to the plaster too :-( 

post-20-0-83152700-1396771434_thumb.jpeg

So I mixed it with titebond and pigment and this was a working formula. The surplus removed just before it dries and with a wet brush I softened the flushing. 

post-20-0-67263600-1396771435_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-84949900-1396771436_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-79479200-1396771437_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-84857500-1396771438_thumb.jpeg

At this point the chimney needs to be made, I'll make this from brick and not steel like my original plan. In the two holes two big cooking pans are fitted. The square hole's on the sides will get a metal hinged doors. Opposite to the hearth I'll make a pantry with different kitchen utensils. I must say it's really time consuming to make but this is really a lot of fun to do. The admiral is complaining she didn't see me all weekend :-D 

Remco

Edited by Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

I enjoyed building mine also, it gets ahold of you and you can't stop.....meanwhile the weekend goes away and the Admiral is unhappy.....This looks really good Remco, I'm going to follow the link for the brickmolds for future reference, I was unaware of these....thanks for the pictures.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Nice Going Remco.

I knew you could do it sir and nice looking brick fire heath by the way. As far as different kitchen utensils, I seem to be in the market for some my self. If you find out the sizes of the different items let me know, would you please. Good job.

Gary

Jeez Louise... I thought that was full-size and real for bit there.   Teach me to look at the last picture first. :o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Your talent is unbelievable.  What are your going to cook on that stove first?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hoi Remco,  that's fantastikamogoro!  (What??? - - - don't ask me ;) )  In Indonesian it is bagus betul betul.  Looks real!  Now that's truly scratch building, making your own bricks and mortar.  Now I figure you'll be casting your own cannons too  :)  :)  ;)   Yes?

Understand the comment of the admiral, I spend most of the time in the shipyard too.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Excellent work Remco, very authentic look andf feel to it - Congrats on such a remarkable job.  Now, I have a BBQ that needs some brick work done..... :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Now THAT is an impressive piece of scratch building ingenuity Remco. But then again, no one here ever doubted that you would come up something brilliant! ;)

I wish I could say I’m stunned at the realism but you’ve spoiled us and now we expect, and receive,

such fine work it would be more stunning if you did not produce your awe inspiring work.

Verrrryyyyy well done! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Wow thanks guys! It's really fun to build this little stove, much more than I had imagined. Now I understand why people build small buildings from individual brick, one ought to try once. 

Tony, I think a simple stew would be appropriate.

Gee Rusty you're tough to please ;)

So chimney added, time to make some pots and pans....

post-20-0-88096900-1389648496_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-86365000-1389648498_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-68385500-1396771556_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-80647800-1396771557_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Edited by Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco,

Where, in the name of god did you buy that brass pot? ;)

amazing job with the bricks!!  much more better than the wood ones.

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847