Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48 Scale

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone,

Getting real close to opening the shop up and thought I'd give you all an update.

Plus this proves I'm still kickin'.

As you might recall we purchased a different home this past spring. We did a LOT

of renovating to the interior. Replaced 16 interior doors, all the trim molding, took

out the old carpet, new floors put in, two bathrooms redone and on and on and on!

I never want to see a can of paint again.

Then I got one enjoyable moment and that was the creation of a new work space.

Again I'm relegated to the basement but now I'm not sharing my space with the

furnace and hot water heater.

A reminder of the old work space.

post-43-0-15276000-1477677385_thumb.jpg

Here is the space I have to work with.

post-43-0-16335800-1477677201.jpg

The finished interior dimensions are 10' x 18'. Long and narrow but I think I got it to

work. An electric subpanel was run to power just the shop. No worries now of lack

of power or of popping a breaker that would shut down part of the main house.

After framing the walls I decided to use plywood for the walls in place of sheetrock.

This way anytime I wanted to hang something i didn't have to find a stud. Also I prone

to "bumping" into the walls with stuff and this should cut down on the collateral damage.

The cabinets were either from the old shop or ones removed from the renovation.

Countertops are either plywood or a butcher block the admiral didn't put back in the

kitchen. Very sturdy! The counters then received numerous coats of heavy duty poly.

The dust deputy and shop vac are out of the way under a cabinet with the hose coming

through the back to be attached to whatever tool needs it.  I also hung the JET air filter

at the end of the shop where most of the power tools will be cutting os sanding wood.

For lighting, and we all know you can never have enough, I used new LED fixtures.

There are a total of four 4’ double tube LED fixture and one 2’ single tube fixture.

They are switched so I can light it up like daytime or if I don’t need to blind myself I

can turn fewer on.

post-43-0-31109000-1477678205_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-66050800-1477678200.jpg

post-43-0-95393300-1477678201.jpg

post-43-0-30678400-1477678203_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-31323500-1477678204_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-99099200-1477678229_thumb.jpg

So the renovations and my normal hectic August/September work schedule kept me

real busy. Then throw in the unpleasant surprise of an inguinal hernia surgery in late

September that backed things up even more. But all is mended and doing fine so I’m

back to unpacking the shop, sorting , throwing away, putting away, not liking where I

put it and moving it three more times! Repeat for the next box and on and on.

One other thing that ate at my time was the refinishing of my grandfathers 1930’s

office desk. At some time in its life my mother thought it would be nice to paint it white.

I always remember it being white so it’s been that way for more than 50 years. As you

can imagine it has seen better days. With the cold weather coming I needed to focus

on this or it would have to wait until spring. So lots of stripper, rebuilding drawers,

sanding and staining it is almost done.  

post-43-0-48211900-1477678798_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-24255900-1477678884_thumb.jpg

As far as transporting the models go there seems to be no damage to most and minimal

damage to a couple. So far that is. I am happy to say the Cheerful was unscathed in the

move and is waiting impatiently.  

After a 40th Anniversary trip coming up in two weeks I’m hoping to have the shop

open for business by the last weekend in November or the first weekend of December.   

Whew that’s the longest ramble I ever put together. Hope to be back in full swing soon.  :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Beautiful shop space Rusty, I really like the subtle curves  in the deck planking.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Good to see you will be back soon Rusty, and a really nice workshop to hide in so all that hard work will be appreciated when you start back on 'Cheerful'.  Nice restoration on that desk too mate; always nice to see the true properties of wood come back to life.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks to everyone for stopping by and all the likes.

Chris, It's nice to hear that you'll be getting a work space. Look forward to more updates.

Michael, Thanks so much.

Druxey, Much appreciated and I can't wait to start back up.

Bob, Thanks and checking on you from time to time helped with the withdrawal.

Ben, I'm glad to hear you're close to sarting to build again.

Pat, When I started stripping it I was pleasently surprised at the quality of the wood.

Grant, "Play" is what the Admiral calls it everytime I say I'm going to the shop to "work".

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Grant, "Play" is what the Admiral calls it everytime I say I'm going to the shop to "work".

Have you ever noticed that it's often put:  "You're going to go play with your boats again?".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Have you ever noticed that it's often put:  "You're going to go play with your boats again?".

Ah yes !  How true ! How true !

The best part is it was her idea that I take up a hobby! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 month later...

Well now the fun begins again. I’ve dusted off the plans and instructions

and have started “working” again. It really feels good to start cutting wood

and making saw dust….hack, cough sneeze. Hmmm a bit out of condition I guess.

I cut some boxwood and shaped the timberheads, added the boom crutches,

outboard ladders, transom knees, cleats and working on adding the channels.  

post-43-0-64383800-1480725820_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-50337100-1480725823_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-46030300-1480725822_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-37750400-1480725821_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-14517600-1480725824_thumb.jpg

Yippie :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you for stopping by for all the likes too.

I found out that you not only have to dust off the cobwebs on the tools and model but from the brain too. ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Good to see this little lady again Rusty; I hope you are enjoying making sawdust again?

cheers

Pat

Thank you all for the welcome back and kind words. It's great to be working again.

Nothing major to show but I have started building the gun carriages. It is a repetitive

task but not bad as there are only ten carronades and two 6 pounder long guns.

Here’s my progress so far.

post-43-0-71971400-1481337888_thumb.jpg

After the carriages are complete I’ll start painting the barrels.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Progressing slow but sure here. As you can see all the gun carriages

have been assembled and I’m adding the eye bolts. Then I have to

sand the trucks and put them on.

Also the carronades and cannon barrels have the first couple coats of paint.

You also see the pile of rings and eye bolts I’ve made for the carriages.

post-43-0-74281900-1483493534_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-60565100-1483493535_thumb.jpg

Now that all the festivities are over I hope to have everything assembled by the weekend.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi and a very Happy New Year Rusty, nice progress.  The links work but on PC at least, the thumbnails are not showing?

cheers

Pat

Hi and a very Happy New Year Rusty, nice progress.  The links work but on PC at least, the thumbnails are not showing?

cheers

Pat

Working fine for me, PC using Chrome.

Thanks Brian. Pat I'm not sure why you don't see the pictures they show up on my PC and tablet.

Also thanks for all the likes too! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)