Preference for next Syren kit project....  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these three subjects most interest you for a possible kit and would be one that you would buy?

• Dutch Boeier in 1/4" scale - POB - Cherry wood
    • Pegasus fully framed Cross Section/with Admiralty models - 1/4" scale - Cherry with Boxwood upgrade avail.
    • Early American fishing Chebacco "Lion" .....POB style - 1/4" scale - Cherry with Boxwood upgrade avail.
    • None of them interest me at all.....they are all subjects I would never buy as a kit.

Hello folks,   

I am just about finished cutting the new bulkheads and keel parts for Winchelsea.  The plans are basically completed other than minor tweaking as a I build her.  I am excited and eager to start making sawdust on her any day now.  

Having said that,  because the plans are basically done I like to begin drafting my next project as I build the one on my workbench.

I have read through the topics we created about what types of kits and projects might be of interest to folks.  I started with 12 possibilities and narrowed it down to 6 and then finally down to just three.  Because the Winnie is so large I am looking for a smallish project to research/design/draft.  Much like the Barge.  Which is all done now.

So I would like to ask you to help me out here.  For all I know,  there may be little interest in either of these.  So please just dont start suggesting new choices as I want to concentrate on these three.  To help me eliminate them from consideration.   Should none interest you than select that as your option and I will continue to look for another subject.

A - Dutch Boeier, I have been fascinated by these little subjects and to my knowledge no decent kits or projects exist of one.  At least not like I would attempt to create one.  No Guns but very beautiful and decorative.  This is the exact Boeier I am contemplating.  1/4" scale in Cherry most likely

czaralexanderboeier2.jpg

B. Pegasus Cross section...you guys know this one.  1/4" scale in Cherry and also second option for Boxwood upgrade.  In cooperation with Admiralty models I would prepare a cross section kit for Pegasus.  Not because I am hung up on guns or English ships, but because I really want to try my new method for making frames.  I am also excited about working with those guys and think my design features will make it incredibly easy for someone to build a fully framed cross section in a fraction of the time that it would take from scratch...or even with one of the new shady cross section kits on the market.

med_gallery_505_139_303117.jpg

C. Chebacco Boat Lion...early american late 18th century ...POB model of another rarely seen subject that I find interesting.  New England fishing Chebacco.  1/4" scale in Cherry with Boxwood upgrade available.

ship-model-chebaco_boat_port.jpg

D.  You are not interested in any of them.....I shouldnt waste a year or so designing a kit of any of these because you are certain that you would not buy them.  Dont feel bad choosing this.   Helping me to eliminate a project that nobody wants will save me years of wasted time.

FEEL FREE TO ELABORATE ON WHY YOU CHOSE ONE OF THE THREE OR NONE OF THEM....its very helpful to me.

Will follow this topic, Chuck. I really liked the frame building technique you shared with me previously. I think this will be a very satisfying mini project for a lot of people. I suspect most of them  would leave 1/2 of the frames unplanked.

Best, Greg

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I really like that cross section.  It gives so much in a small package that is able to be accomplished in a reasonable timeframe.

Taking a shine to the Chebacco fishing boat. Being a New Englander my entire life, and spent plenty of time at the shore line. 

Love history, study it. I've never come across this type of ship.

Did they go by another name, a nick name?

There quite a bit going on about that deck. I like that.

Tom E 

I have always known them by the name chebacco....similar to a pinky.

Here is a contemporary model of the Lion from the smithsonian.   

174_173185010011.jpg?fit=1301,570

And a Ronnberg model that is in Mystic.

1977.113c_LION-model_MSM.jpg?fit=720,735

Other than these few examples.....not many models of her or other chebaccos are modeled. There is a fellow building an actual full sized representation of the LIon ....he is making great progress.

P1060081.jpg?fit=1301,570

52-P1050660.jpg?fit=1301,570

Chuck

What about a serious study of either the Stern or Bow. Larger scale (1/4"?) highly detailed.

Always liked the illustrations in ZuMonfeld's book. I don't mean something like the VICTORY Bow section model not that far back. At the Bow not past the Catheads at the Stern not past the galleries. 

??????

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Sam...didnt you read my first post......lets not muddy the waters.....otherwise its just a free for all.   Lets stick with the three choices.   A very limited menu. :P

I figured to help folks out a bit more...let me post more images of the boeier.   To help folks who need to see more.  Since I posted more images of the Chebacco.

Contemporary model getting a cat scan.  Three and possibly four contemporary models exist of this particular boeier

10413384_886673864686356_1935623235365164453_n.jpg

boeier.png

Boeier-tsaar-dag-3-CTscan-009.jpg

The Pegasus for me. If the instructions are as good as the Syren instructions, it would be a great opportunity to take my modeling to the next level and include building a fully framed cross section.

A lot may also depend on the pricing of these models. What price range do you have in mind for these 3.

Peter.

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

I would most definetly buy the Pegasus kit. It would be great if it came in two wood selection lists (1) bargin  requires  painting/stain to finish and (2) quality high end wood that requires only poly but has contrast. The Pegasus really interest me while the others two don’t, just not a fishing/trade craft guy.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

The wording for option #4 seems a bit harsh -- almost made me feel guilty to vote. But, truth be told, I'm not in the market for a wooden kit, so take my vote with a grain of salt. And I won't muddy the waters with any comments about American sloops-of-war. :rolleyes:

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hi Guys

for me a hard choice between the chebacco or the boeier both distinctive and unusual hull shapes - but the Chebacco edged out the boeier for its unusual stern and ketch rig.

I can see the attraction of the Pegasus for framing practice before tackling a full build -  I guess I haven't helped out doing an Oliver Twist - just a " More please Sir" from me

Cheers Pete

Hi Chuck,

very interesting topic, but what I miss here is the clear scale of the proposed options. Example: I am interested in 1/4 scale (1:48 in metric) scale models, I would vote for dutch little, but 1/2 scale makes it out, but what are the scales of other two? Or did I overlooked some info? If yes am sorry, just thought it could help also the others. Thanks

Edited by juhu

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

Hi Chuck,

I would very much be tempted for the boeier, especially while you choose a slightly older design, and not the rather yachtlike, modern Frisian version. You are right: no kits exist of this type of ship (Billing boats had one in the seveties, more or less decent, but that has gone by now)

(for those who didn't know: the exact Boeier in the first pic is part of the museum collection of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, dated 1817. The other one is in the scheepvaartmuseum, and labeled 'boeier voor de Keizer'. Both show a model of a boeier build as a gift of the Dutch king for the Russian Tsar in 1815. That makes it a bit more decorated than the normal one).

The model shows a specific feature not present in the modern Frisian boeiers: they are clinked build, and not carvel. Planking using straight strips will be completely impossible :). Very interesting as a build, and a welcome addition to kits in the Dutch market..... 

However, the scale would be a problem, as both my bench and my house do not allow for something big. With respect top size 20" (around 50 cm) would be my maximum. I'm afraid that 1/2" results in something larger. Price is of (slightly) less importance.

I would also like an indication on the type of wood you consider:  so far most of your ships tend to be boxwood. However, boeiers take part of their appearance from the specific tan of the oak used for their build. I guess a boeier in boxwood would look a bit bleak.  (and coloring boxwood into oak is a bit of a shame to the boxwood....)

So far, I didn't vote.

Jan

Edited by amateur

To clarify.....on scale.

I would build the boeier at 1/4" rather than 1/2"scale.  That isnt an issue.  I can easily do that.  I will update the scales and wood choices in the poll if that will help.

The Boeier would be in Cherry most likely.  The other two would also be in Cherry but have a Boxwood upgrade.

Chuck

Chuck, I applaud you for proposing some models of non-war ships and I'm relieved you will be having new offerings.  There are hundreds of  models of armed vessels out there and very few work boats.  I understand that complete plans are lacking for merchant craft but there is so much to be learned from their construction and history.  I also favor 1:48 scale to keep things I've done in similar perspective.  I vote for Chebacco.

Maury

Chuck, my preference leans toward the Dutch Boeier and the American Chebacco equally.  I'm more interested in models of boats that are unusual and not offered by the major model kit companies.  Personally I do not have a lot of interest in building cross sections altho I do admire them, just not too interested in building one. I also prefer the smaller boats because I am running out of display space.

I would have to have the Dutch Boeir, such a beautiful and unusual subject.  

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

All the models presented are great Chuck! but I think the Pegasus cross section is the one for me and will be without doubt the pearl in Syren Ship Model Company.

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

I would be potentially interested in either the Pegasus or the Chebacco (which I keep reading as Chewbacca), although I can't promise I'd be a customer.  I really wish there were more kits that focused on the structural and utilitarian design of ships, and the former fits that mold even though it's yet another warship. The latter is unique and (to me) completely unknown. The Dutch ship looks very interesting, but it's so obscure and unusual that I can't see myself investing in building and displaying it.

Thanks for adding the scale and wood. Now I can vote :)

All 3 subjects are great, and am sure there can be dozen others proposals as seen also here :)

For I can imagine to get either Boeier, because it is so unusaual and not covered in this scale by any commercial kit

Or I would pick the cross section - only chance to get at least a piece of such a ship, because due to the enourmous size, no chance to ever have a full kit

Although great, I would not vote for Chebacco - just because in 1/4 scale one can find several other american fishing vessels from other manufacturers. No Chebacco of course , but more appealing to my eye (e.g Gloucester schooners). Just my oppinion.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

For my vote I would put the Chebacco at #1 but would not be disappointed to see Pegasus take the first place spot. I happen to be very fond of working craft as much as fighting ships. They were the backbone of our early nation's commerce and some still ply our waters. Your Chebacco is truly an interesting double ender craft.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17
grammar