Preference for next Syren kit project....  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these three subjects most interest you for a possible kit and would be one that you would buy?

• Dutch Boeier in 1/4" scale - POB - Cherry wood
    • Pegasus fully framed Cross Section/with Admiralty models - 1/4" scale - Cherry with Boxwood upgrade avail.
    • Early American fishing Chebacco "Lion" .....POB style - 1/4" scale - Cherry with Boxwood upgrade avail.
    • None of them interest me at all.....they are all subjects I would never buy as a kit.

The Dutch Boeier is certainly an unusual model that I would like to build.

I would certain like to see more European style in your inventory. Maybe early 20th century.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I voted for Pegasus, but I wouldn't buy it because I've already scratch-built it (or one very close anyway - HMS Vulture's Cross-section ;)). I reckon you'd have a winner with this one.

A question (forgive me if you've already answered it) - will the Frames be in separate built-up pieces using Chocks, or one/two piece?

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Chocks and all.   

speedwelltestframe.jpg

I have since refined this design concept even further.  But you get the idea.  A few guys from my club came to my shop and I put them to work testing out the concept by having them build up several frames each.  Mike was one of them.  I would guess that within a couple of hours they collectively built 15 - 20 frames.....while we talked about the process and I was given even more great feedback.   I have since built an entire frame with chocks in about 10 minutes with no need to build it on top of a plan sheet.  They come out a perfect match to the plan every time.  I set my goal to develop a design where someone could be able to fully frame a cross section in just a day or two this way.

I am thankful for the guys who helped me with this.  If I remember correctly this was a Speedwell frame used for the testing.  Thank You Greg and David:D

I agree with Dirk and want all three too.

That said the Pegasus is beautiful and would buy it in a heart beat

but I chose the Chebacco as it is fun to do something a little different.

No matter which one you choose I think you'll have a winner.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

There appears to be only one solution Chuck - you must clone yourself and bring all three to market as soon as possible! :D:D:D

The Pegasus cross-section is beautiful and a brilliant concept. Having already done a scratch built cross-section though, I likely woudn’t buy it myself (though I’d be sorely tempted).

The Dutch Boeier is an unusual and interesting subject that I can see having a lot of appeal to those looking for something other than “3-masts and lots of guns”. I’d be tempted by this one if I could sneak it past the Admiral.....

The Chebacco would likely have most appeal to the US market (which I guess is your largest market segment).

Not sure if I’ve helped at all there, but guess on balance I’ll vote for the Dutch Boeier. 

The Dutch Boeier because it is so unique and otherwise unavailable - followed by the Pegasus.

Ian

Boeier wins it for me, completely different

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I have been remiss in my model building for the past couple years, but I can still dream.  I voted for the Pegasus cross section but the Dutch Boeier is a close second.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I voted for the Boeier, with the Chebacco a close second.  I’m not all that interested in cross sections, though the pictures you posted are beautiful - and it would look nice next to Swan class models a bunch of us are building.

At 1/4 scale, how long is the Boeier?  I’d be interested in a larger scale model if there was a lot of interesting detail that could be added.

Also wanted to add my voice to those commending you for looking at novel subjects.  These are all quite interesting and different.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I voted for the Dutch Boeier because it is different and small.  I do feel that a Pegasus Cross Section would be a nice addition to your existing product lineup and would be a good seller.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I vote for the Chebacco.  That is the kit I would purchase the minute it became available.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

The cross section for sure Chuck. It will make a beautiful model and can be easily cased and displayed a small area.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I would like to keep the poll going but allow me to explain why I started this a bit more in detail.   I appreciate the responses very much. They were indeed extremely helpful.

Like many you who have several kits in the closet and pretty much know what you will be building in the future,  I have known for a while that three subjects are what was in my closet so-to-speak.  Regardless of how commercially viable any of these were, I was pretty sure that these were projects I was going to build.  The real purpose of the poll was to help establish the order in which I was going to develop and build them.  Should any of the choices I was excited about been duds with absolutely no interest from the ship model community, I would have still built it.  I would have just left it for later and not commercialized it.  

I am happy to say that it looks like there is sufficient interest in all three.  That is good for me.   And based on the results,  it looks like the cross section is the most popular commercially.  Since my current kit/products fund the next projects on my list to bring to market,  it makes sense for me to start there.  So I am talking with Greg Herbert and David Antscherl right now so I can started on developing the plans for the cross section.  I will do so as I build the prototype for the Winchelsea.  But yes the Boeier and Chebacco will be brought to market as well.  I will just be starting with the cross section.  I am so happy that there is actually interest in the later two.  

Thanks and keep the votes coming as right now it looks like the boeier and chebacco are neck and neck for the number two slot.

Chuck

I understand the decision. but believe me, I'm a bit disappointed by it. Smaller working boats, not coming from the US or the UK  are rarely be found in kit-form  (and certainly not in a decent quality kit). I do understand  that kit-makers have to choose a subject for which a potentially large market exist, but one way or the other, that always seems to result in a kit of an "HMS something" with a certain number of guns. I'm simply not interested in any HMS-something.....

Jan

But not to worry...I will be building the Boeier and Chebacco right after the cross section is completed.  Because I agree with you 100%

Boeier would be my first choice, it’s something distinctly different. I could definitely see myself getting the Pegasus also. Too bad they couldn’t be done all at once! You have so much time on your hands why not. The Boeier comes out in March, take a few days to catch up on some rope, the Pegasus maybe May. Whatever you come up with will be the typical Syren class act.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

On a separate note.   My store will be opening hopefully again.  Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.   Grandma is coming home from the hospital today.  I am shooting for tomorrow to re-open the store but depending on how things go once she comes home....at the latest it will be early Thursday morning.  Thank you all for your patience.  I learned from the last time that this was the best way to handle the situation and closing down for a few days was what enabled me to keep my sanity throughout it all.   

I will get organized and see what I have to start making tomorrow as I know my inventory must be a wreck.  Havent stepped into the shop much since last week.  So if you see a lot of stuff out of stock....I am going to get right on it.  But it will take some time to catch up once I get the sweatshop up and running again.

Thanks again:D

Chuck

Great news glad she is doing better.  While I voted wholeheartedly for the cross section I am also interested in the Chebacco as well.  It looks like an interesting project.

Thanks....

Kurt, I hope you make some room on your workbench for a cross section, to help me prototype/work out the kinks....should be fun. :)

Chuck

Being self-employed myself, I agree that commercial considerations are very important. The Pegasus cross-section will almost certainly be the easiest for you to market. I hope it does well enough to allow you to pursue the more obscure interests as well. Are you sure you don't want to do a non-warship cross-section, like a whaling ship or the Beagle instead? It'd be awfully neat to get an inside look at a working but non-military vessel of that period.

I voted for Boeier. That was on my list for a very long time along with Tjalk and other Dutch and north European boats.

I do have a kit of Frize Boeier on the shelf, but its not even close to what Syrens Models can come up with.

So that one is a definite must have for me. Scale is a bit surprising though as  Boeiers are small boats.

1/24 is a big scale but somewhere along 1/32 would be just right for such boat. Still compact but gives

possibilities for better detailing.

What ever happened to that  Thames rowing skiff that was on NE Conference few years ago?

That is Dan's baby....as soon as he finishes up what he is working on, I am hoping he will get right back to it.   I am in no rush and I certainly dont wont him to rush.  Basically I laser cut the parts he draws up after we talk about the design and he continues to build his prototype.  Kind of nice actually to have someone else creating a Syren project.  But whenever he gets back to it I am sure he will start a build log.

Chuck

My first (and so far only) attempt at wooden models is a semi-kit-bashed cross section and I find myself fascinated by it, I would love to try a cross section that would be a bit less, well, trying, a little less make it up as you go.

Wasn't there talk at one point about a Viking ship, or did that morph into the barge?

Current Build: HMS Terror 1:75

Completed:    USS Constitution Cross Section

Pride of Baltimore 1:64

USS Cairo Blue Jacket Ships

In the Yard:    Smoothbore Naval Deck Gun

Brig Syren

Medway Long Boat

I voted for the Lion. It would be nice to have a Syren kit of such a different subject. Very unique. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"