HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remcohe - 1/48 - English 14-Gun Sloop - POF

A beautiful piece of joinery Remco. You make it look so easy - the sign of a true master!

Nice, Remco! I am glad the jig idea worked for you. I would be lost without it. I am sure we will both be happy when we construct and install the window frames, knowing everything is already accurately spaced and hopefully symmetrical. Did you cut that very clean rabbet in the fore edge of the transom with a hand chisel?

Best wishes,

Mark

Beautifully done, Remco. I'm about to raise the stern timbers on my Speedwell and I've a modified jig of my own I'll be using. I don't see how this can be done precisely without one.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks all.

Yes Mark the rabbet was cut using chisels, as it curves in two directions no way I could do it on a mill.

The parts that make up the helmport are an interesting exercise in testfitting to get them right

post-20-0-68321400-1398095101_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-75805700-1398095099_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-12956700-1398095351_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-09569000-1398095370_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-73718000-1398095102_thumb.jpeg

The straps to the counter timbers were cut from 0.2 mm brass sheet and bend to shape, 0.4 mm brass bolts (actually a bit oversized) were used to glue the strips down

post-20-0-91895000-1398095103_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-50539500-1398095105_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

very nice work Remco - another display of your excellent craftsmanship.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Fantastic as always.  The taper at the ends of the straps ads to the realism.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Nice ironwork bro  :dancetl6:

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Remco, Is the brass sheet soft enough to shape the straps in situ, or do you have to bend them off the model and keep test-fitting?

Maury

Very nice straps Remco, did you heat treat (anneal) the brass or bend them hard?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Remco.

As always truly Exelent craftsmanship with everything.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks for the likes and compliments.

Maury, Michael, the brass was hard bent off the model. Although 0.2 mm bends quite easily, making 90 degree bends was done on my hold and fold. the other shaping was done with round nosed pliers. Final adjustments were done on the model.

Meanwhile the lower counter is planked but not yet faired.

post-20-0-60992300-1398283425_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hi Remco,

Beautiful work! I am about to start on the iron strapping for the Bellona, and I will use your photo as an inspiration for what to aim for.

Mark

Bugger ..... how did I miss those on my Vulture :huh:  ? Bit too late now :( .

Nice work Remco.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Wow! How do you make such a crisp edge? What is the trick for such a finishing?

Could you please share some of your techologies? I guess it is hand plane and chisels, and then sanding with a sandpaper wrapped around a block, to avoid smoothing the edges? Or there is something else?

Or you skip the sanding completely, and use only chisels and magic?

I understand that question sounds strange, "please explain your mastership in a few words", but really hope to learn proper techiques! :)

Spent evening re-reading the whole log again, fantastic level! Such a pleasure to see!

And how do you finish the wood, for example, frames and beams? On a photos I even don't see the poly, or it is a very thin layer?

Edited by Mike Y

Also, what is your technology for making such an accurate joints of deck beams? Like on that photo: http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-20-0-91612300-1385926869.jpeg

Please pardon me for such a flood of questions, but just really can't stop looking on that pictures again and again.. You raised a bar to the sky! The "treat every part as a small model" approach is genius! It's all about the process, does not matter if a build will take 10 years, but if it is _that_ quality..

Mike,

Thank you for your intrest and no I don't mind all the questions ;)

The basic tools I use are (very) sharp chisels and surgical blades, files and sometimes a plane. All finishing is done with quality sandpaper and the trick is to always glue the sandpaper to a hard surface. I incorporated my own version of a 'true sander' in a small work surface that I can easily slide out of the way (together with all the tools scattered  around it) so I can pull the hull close by to work on the hull.

post-20-0-32367100-1398967000_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-30246400-1398967001_thumb.jpeg

A glass plate with different grades of paper to flatten or thin down parts and small sanding sticks, I make different ones for different purposes like the ones to sand the deck beams.

post-20-0-47147000-1398967002_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-79960000-1398967003_thumb.jpeg

The joints for the deck beams are marked and cut with a chisel, usually on the bench and never in situ except when I did http://modelshipworl...1385926869.jpeg but that was just me being dumb.  

post-20-0-11542800-1398966756_thumb.jpeg

For finish I used tungoil until, but now I'm switching to microcrystalline wax as it's less glossy. I prefer a flat finish so it's hard to see in the pictures where the finish is applied and where not.

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here